Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,967,148 times

Advertisements

I just got triggered by THREE passive-aggressive people . . .I detest this form of control . . .One person shuts you down when the conversation turns to something they "don't want to deal with" and then does not respond to calls or messages, another uses you when convenient and then when you contact them, no response, the third says one thing but then changes it and then blames you for not understanding the new rules - and only responds to texts or emails when it benefits them.

This is the most irritating behavior in the world.

I want all of the passive-aggressive a-holes to explain what they are thinking - do they like having horrible relationships? Do they need power so badly they will stop at nothing?

I am furious at the moment because I always try to be a person of good will and I got tricked again into thinking the other people were going to play fair and they won't.

And, yes, they have "won," because I am upset - they have one-upped me - it's all about power and not about getting along or really understanding each other.

I HATE you passive-aggressive people!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,991,263 times
Sounds like you need some new friends.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,871,033 times
Maybe they just don't like you.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 PM

Whether they like me or not is moot. There is no excuse for playing mind games with people. It's a form of control and it is horrible to experience.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 PM

Double bind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 AM

865 posts, read 1,495,728 times
They are just idiots who can't get over themselves...however, you can take control by getting over them!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,583,078 times
My DIL is very passive aggressive.....after I met her parents I understood why.

That helps me deal with her....to a point.

A few times, I've had to come right and and tell her to say what she wants and not to leave clues. Don't expect me just to know!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:49 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,426,563 times
One way to overcome passive aggressiveness is to not give them the choice.

"Hey, I know you're very busy, so if I don't hear from you by the end of the day, I'm going to do _______." Tends to work out well.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 AM

3,999 posts, read 5,039,369 times
I think we can only hope that they will recognize this behavior, but my experience is that they NEVER will. It's a very normal response to be peeved when you deal with these sorts, and yea, sometimes it lingers. I suppose it depends on my relationship to that person as to how long it takes me to get over it or even whether I let it bother me.

I have this "friend" who exhibits most of the qualities described in the 3 examples given: she will never come right out and say what she wants and her feeble attempts at being my friend are transparent. I first thought she was a better friend so I used to get super irritated - only in the last few months though have I realized she's a crappy friend. This makes it easier to not fall into her trap.

I have a couple of family members who are never wrong, are never responsible for their words or actions and have to control every situation to the point of laughability. These people are much more difficult to deal with but as I've gotten older and put some distance between us, I now can deal...I tend to laugh at them...A LOT...they're ridiculous.

I don't know if you can get away from these folks, but definitely put some distance between you. Substitute that irritation for some little private joke and maybe that will help you breeze by these people...they really don't deserve to be catered to...JMO!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 AM

After reviewing the link above, I am aware of the power dynamics . . . the reason the behavior is so maddening is because you can't deal with it directly - in the case of my example, one of the people is doing my family a favor, so I can't rock the boat and have a fit and expose the person's passive-aggressive behavior - so they have the power. The other two people are relatives - one, I can't tell what I think at this point (because they are going through something and wouldn't be able to deal with "my issues") - I did text the third person that I don't like to be ignored.

My problem is that in every new interaction with these people, I expect decent, direct treatment - if they contact me and begin talking to me about something, I always return the phone calls, emails or texts, promptly - but none of them feel compelled to offer the same consideration. It's maddening. It's totally all about power . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships