Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:17 AM

19,282 posts, read 17,158,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Annexation may make cities appear bigger, but all one has to do is look at county populations to see whether population is growing or not. Counties don't annex land typically (Virginia may be different but only because VA cities are coterminous with their counties). Still Henrico has grown in population a lot, I'm not sure if thats where VA Yankee lives or not but it has grown.

For example: Using 1990 as a benchmark, Onondaga County had 468k people. Wake County had 423k. All of us were alive in 1990 and these two areas could be easily compared as having nearly equal county population. Today, Onondaga County has 467k, and Wake County has 1.04 million.

Now, Wake hasn't annexed any land, and both main cities had the opportunity to grow organically whether annexing anything or not. Syracuse could have annexed land making it coterminous with Onondaga County, if it did, it would still be over 500k short of Wake.

I don't think Southern cities are gobbling up land to give the appearance of growth- I think they're running out of space and adding land to allow for this growth. Cary has almost no open land left, so they have been growing westward into rural areas.
You are correct we are incorporated as a county (Henrico), there are no towns, villages, hamlets incorporated and we have lost not gained area over the decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 01:22 PM

19,282 posts, read 17,158,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not agitated at all(or name calling), but talking about NC or VA in a "fastest growing towns in Upstate NY" thread doesn't make sense. So, I asked if there would be commentary about the actual thread. That's all...
The point of using another area is to show what real growth looks like, adding 10, 50, 100, 1000 people over 6 years does not reflect any real growth. We diverged away when you posted about another technology park with nothing but a developers hoopla and a potential employer offering @7 jobs.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:56 PM

93,761 posts, read 124,493,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The point of using another area is to show what real growth looks like, adding 10, 50, 100, 1000 people over 6 years does not reflect any real growth. We diverged away when you posted about another technology park with nothing but a developers hoopla and a potential employer offering @7 jobs.
No...Another poster asked about Nanotechnology, which is located in Marcy and is where the Technology Park is located. So, I responded to another poster and ironically, Marcy has grown 4.8%, I believe from 2010-2016. It didn't have anything to do with what you may have assumed and it was in relation to the thread in terms of an Upstate NY town, as well as the status of that industry in said town. That's all and I didn't mention anything about another state or an area in another state until it was brought up by someone else...

Marcy information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcy,_New_York

Old 05-25-2018, 10:08 PM

An updated article/list, that includes all towns and cities except for NYC, with 2 Saratoga County towns leading the way: https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...p-most-popular

Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 PM

Another related article: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...n-upstate.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...tml#g/446783/1

I’m surprised that Victor(town and/or village) weren’t on the list.

Also, given that Saratoga County has been one of, if not THE fastest growing County in the state in recent years/the turn of the century, it isn’t surprising to see so many places from that county. New York Population Growth Rate County Rank (From 2000-2014)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-04-2018 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York