Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 07:36 AM

6,458 posts, read 4,951,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I blame chick fil a not being open on Sundays for this error. Easily could have been avoided.
That's the way Chick-fil-A has been since it was founded in 1946. It nothing new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 10:07 AM

5,749 posts, read 4,126,202 times
I just received my bill from the thruway which I incurred on December 14th. It arrived yesterday, January 29th. I was told the bill would arrive within 30 days. It took 46 days. I had just paid it because I didn't want whatever legal issues they may throw at me. The bill I received offered to save me almost half if I sign up for EZ Pass. They didn't present this offer when I paid on my own. Finally, the bill said I have until February 25th to pay. More than 2 1/2 months after using it.

Total incompetence once again by the Thruway Authority.

Old 02-13-2024, 07:51 AM

93,684 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Depending on where he is coming from in Cato/going to on the North Side of the city, it may be easier to take Route 370 to I-690. There is also an interesting comment under the segment that mentions a plan related to EZ-Pass for those that frequent the Thruway, as mentioned here: https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/discount.html

You Paid For It: Why it's time for a toll-free Syracuse: https://cnycentral.com/news/you-paid...-free-syracuse

Old 02-19-2024, 08:17 AM

NY Thruway achieves milestone with reopening of rest stop in Cayuga County: https://auburnpub.com/news/local/gov...44e9be484647a9

"The New York State Thruway Authority is marking a milestone in its $450 million service area redevelopment project with the reopening of the only rest stop in Cayuga County.

Port Byron Service Area, which closed for construction in March 2023, reopened to Thruway motorists Monday. The new rest stop, located between exits 41 (Waterloo) and 40 (Weedsport) on Interstate 90 east, has two restaurants — Burger King and Dunkin' — and an Applegreen convenience store.

Other amenities include a dog walking space and private nursing area. Four high-speed electric vehicle chargers will be installed in the future.

With the reopening of the Port Byron Service Area, the $450 million rest stop project has reached its halfway point. Fourteen of the 27 Thruway service areas have reopened since the project began in 2021."

Old 03-06-2024, 10:16 AM

SCAM ALERT: NYS Tolls by Mail texts: https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-...ail-text-scam/

Old 03-20-2024, 09:16 AM

Finally, NY Thruway replacing another 70-year-old bridge in Syracuse area: https://auburnpub.com/news/local/gov...44e9be484647a9

"One by one, the New York State Thruway Authority is replacing its aging bridges.

Gov. Kathy Hochul said Wednesday that a $5 million project began to replace the Schepps Corner Road bridge in Onondaga County. The bridge carries Route 54 over Interstate 90 in the town of Manlius.

The bridge, which carries 2,600 vehicles per day, was built in 1953 — a year before the Thruway opened to traffic. According to state Department of Transportation data, the bridge is in poor condition.

"Bridges such as this are essential to connecting local communities and are depended on by residents and businesses to enhance the quality of life and boost the economy," Hochul said. "New York state continues to build back better by investing and creating a more modern, reliable infrastructure system fit for the future."

The new bridge will have an increased vertical clearance, from 14 feet, 5 inches to 16 feet, 11 inches, and other features, such as new guiderails, a better riding surface and wider shoulders.

Environmental improvements will be part of the project. Stone gutters will be installed on each corner of the bridge to slow runoff and direct it away from the highway. Erosion control mats will be placed on the embankments and new grasslands will help reduce runoff.

Manlius Supervisor John Deer noted the new bridge will help the town manage its wetlands.

"The additional benefits of safer and smoother travel conditions for residents are welcomed," Deer said.

Slate Hill Constructors, a Syracuse-area company, was awarded the contract to replace the bridge. Construction, which began Wednesday, is expected to be completed in the fall.

The bridge will be closed to traffic during the project. A detour directs motorists to take Kirkville Road to North Manlius Road.

The Thruway Authority has already completed several bridge replacement projects in central New York. Many of the bridges being replaced are 70 years old and original to the Thruway.

"The replacement of the Schepps Corner Road bridge is one of the dozens of projects taking place this year to modernize our transportation infrastructure which will allow the Thruway to remain one of the safest and most reliable superhighways in the nation," said Frank Hoare, the Thruway Authority's acting executive director.

More projects are expected in the years to come. Through its capital program, the Thruway Authority will invest $2.4 billion over five years. The projects will include work on 90 of the Thruway's 817 bridges.

The increased infrastructure investments are supported by a Thruway toll hike that took effect in January."

Old 03-25-2024, 10:16 AM

New NY Thruway rest stop near Syracuse is first with feature for people with disabilities: https://auburnpub.com/news/local/gov...44e9be484647a9

"The advocacy of a state legislator helped make a New York State Thruway rest stop near Syracuse the first with an amenity for people with disabilities.

The Thruway Authority announced Monday the reopening of the Warners Service Area on Interstate 90 west in Onondaga County. The rest stop was rebuilt as part of a $450 million project led by Applegreen, the company that was awarded a 33-year contract to operate the Thruway's 27 service areas.

Warners is the first rest stop with an adult changing station. State Sen. Pam Helming, who represents the Finger Lakes region, said she initiated conversations with the Thruway Authority several years ago about adding adult changing stations at service areas.

It's common for restrooms to have diaper changing stations for families with small children, but there is a lack of adult-size changing stations in public places for individuals with disabilities.

Helming, R-Canandaigua, credited Joanie Mahoney, chair of the Thruway Authority's board of directors, for being receptive to adding adult changing stations in service areas.

"The opening of the first of five adult changing stations is welcome news to me, but more importantly, to our citizens with disabilities and special needs and their families and caregivers," Helming said. "These stations are about dignity and respect, and on a practical level, will help families plan their travel to meet their needs."

Adult changing stations will be placed at Angola, Ontario, Pattersonville and Sloatsburg service areas along the Thruway. Those rest stops are slated to reopen later this year or in 2025.

Other amenities at Warners Service Area include three restaurants — Burger King, Chick-fil-A and Starbucks — and an Applegreen convenience store. There is a digital tourism kiosk, dog walking area, outdoor seating and a private nursing area for mothers. Four level 3 electric vehicle chargers will be available at a later date.

Warners is the 15th rest stop to be rebuilt since the service area reconstruction project began in July 2021.

"The Service Area Redevelopment project is more than halfway complete, and with the opening of the Warners Service Area, we're increasing accessibility for motorists with the addition of an adult changing station," said Frank Hoare, acting executive director of the Thruway Authority. "Adult changing stations provide those with special needs a safe and secure space for caregivers to provide assistance."

The Thruway rest stop improvements will be completed by fall 2025. Twenty-three of the rest stops are being rebuilt, while four service areas will be renovated."

Old 04-22-2024, 06:22 AM

5,749 posts, read 4,126,202 times
Cheaters

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...s/73384114007/

Old Today, 06:19 AM

NY’s Thruway improvement project: a win-win for locals and infrastructure: https://www.uticaod.com/story/news/2...tica-nletter01

"On Monday Gov. Kathy Hochul announced the start of a $13.7 million thruway improvement project in Herkimer and Montgomery counties, which is expected to wrap up this fall.

Anticipated road work is a part to a larger whole; the Thruway Authority’s Capital Program is projected to invest $395.5 million in Central NY infrastructure rehabilitation over the next four years.

According to state officials, pavement improvement will take place along the I-90 corridor as well as depth repairs and resurfacing of 50 lane miles between exit 29 (Canajoharie - Sharon Springs - NY Route 10) and exit 29A (Little Falls - Dolgeville -NY Route 169).

Hochul released a statement which acknowledged that nearly 24,000 motorists each day rely on the soon-to-be repaired section of the Thruway.

“I-90 is a vital Upstate corridor and it is essential that it remains safe for all,” said Hochul. “This project will go a long way to ensure that New York’s infrastructure continues to serve drivers, enabling New Yorkers and visitors alike to travel the region safely.”

Repairs to expect

Heidelberg Materials Northeast-NY LLC of Jamesville was selected as the project contractor through a competitive bidding process.

As maintained by state officials, the project will involve pavement repairs in both directions of I-90 between milepost 197.9 and milepost 210.3, down to the sub base of the roadway. Additionally, mill and inlay will be performed at U-turns and acceleration/deceleration lanes, parking lots at the Iroquois and Indian Castle Service areas, as well as all 10 mainline bridges located on the corridor.

Other safety improvements will include new reflective line striping, installation of milled-in audible roadway delineators or rumble strips on the shoulders, and drainage upgrades.

Thruway Authority Executive Director Frank G. Hoare and Assemblyman Robert Smullen, R-Johnstown, both welcomed the investment in critical infrastructure improvements to the region.

“The Thruway Authority is committed to investing in infrastructure projects to enhance safety and reliability on our 70-year-old system,” Hoare said in a statement. “The I-90 corridor in Central New York is a gateway for motorists and the commercial trucking industry to the Northeast and beyond. This project, along with many other capital projects happening on the Thruway, will improve the travel experience for motorists across the state.”

Smullen agreed, regarding the announcement as “exciting” and “essential.”

“Removing deteriorated portions of the Thruway, completing pavement repairs and reinforcing its structural integrity are all critical measures to be taken now rather than years down the road when safety becomes an issue due to hazardous conditions,” Smullen said in a statement.

Riders' resources

Lane closures, stoppages and traffic shifts may be encountered while construction is underway.

Commuters are urged to follow posted speed limits in work zones where violation fines are doubled.

In April 2023 the state launched the Automated Work Zone Speed Enforcement pilot program, which implemented cameras to various construction areas on the Thruway. Violating posted speed limits in posted areas results in fines issued to the vehicles registered owner by mail.

Up-to-date travel information can be found online or by downloading the Thruway Authority’s free traveler mobile app. Motorists can also sign up for TRANSalert e-mails, which provide the latest traffic conditions along the Thruway."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York