Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 10:28 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
It opened 2.5 years ago. Have you tried it yet CK? Down here in St Augustine we have a real authentic Spanish restaurant called Columbia which has been owned by the same family for 115 years. We went to the original location in Tampa, which is a historical landmark and the owner gives free tours to show his pride of the Restaurant. When it first opened, there were dirt streets and people tied up their horses outside.

https://www.columbiarestaurant.com/
No, but I've been to others in the area. When they say "Spanish" restaurant up here, many times it is usually Spanish Caribbean food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 10:49 AM

6,414 posts, read 4,908,175 times
I think the majority of the Restaurants in upstate NY are Puerto Rican and Mexican. To be honest, I have never found a decent one up there. We enjoyed Aro Bar de Tapas in Williamsville, but it closed Sept 16, 2017. Too bad, because it was exceptional, our daughter, who is a world traveler and lived in Spain for a few years, loved it. It was pricey and Buffalo is a tough place for gourmet Latino restaurants. Down here we have the Salento Steakhouse which is a marvelous Colombian Restaurant and a must stop when we have out of town company. You should see the place when there is a Colombia Soccer match, packed to the ceiling. That and the Columbia in St Augustine are the best here. There is also Ceviche Jax, which has Peruvian food. My all time Fav here is the Flying Iguana which has the best chips and salsa I have ever had plus awesome gourmet tacos.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I think the majority of the Restaurants in upstate NY are Puerto Rican and Mexican. To be honest, I have never found a decent one up there. We enjoyed Aro Bar de Tapas in Williamsville, but it closed Sept 16, 2017. Too bad, because it was exceptional, our daughter, who is a world traveler and lived in Spain for a few years, loved it. It was pricey and Buffalo is a tough place for gourmet Latino restaurants. Down here we have the Salento Steakhouse which is a marvelous Colombian Restaurant and a must stop when we have out of town company. You should see the place when there is a Colombia Soccer match, packed to the ceiling. That and the Columbia in St Augustine are the best here. There is also Ceviche Jax, which has Peruvian food. My all time Fav here is the Flying Iguana which has the best chips and salsa I have ever had plus awesome gourmet tacos.
Pretty much, but you do have some Dominican restaurants as well. You do have this restaurant in Plattsburgh that serves peruvian dishes, among others: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._New_York.html

Comparatively speaking, it makes sense given the aspect of geography and migration. Downstate will likely have restaurants like you mentioned though.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:19 PM

Local Woman Starts Her Own Business Bringing Mexican Culture to Hudson Valley: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/hu...lture-business

Old 10-13-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Local Woman Starts Her Own Business Bringing Mexican Culture to Hudson Valley: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/hu...lture-business
I looked at the photos and when we were in Mexico there was incredible pottery, gorgeous pesebres with beaded faces (the amount of work that went into something so small was amazing). I think most Americans have no idea of what Mexico is all about. For example, the Historic District of Mexico City has preserved centuries old buildings. We went to this famous bakery, Pasteleria Ideal, which has been there since 1927. I have never seen so many baked goods in one place in my life. They have a special "cake room" with the most amazing decorated cakes. The Metro is the safest way to get around and incredibly cheap.(23 cents). Nothing can be touched in the district so its not loaded with fast food and convenience stores, truly a national treasure. I don't recommend a visit unless you speak the language, as its dangerous for Gringos. Our son was living there at the time so he showed us around, unfortunately the water got me and I spent considerable time in the bathroom.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:12 PM

Seal of Biliteracy New York opens opportunities for Rochester high school students: https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/...hool-students/

Old 10-15-2020, 01:17 PM

Bilingual school in Buffalo

https://www.buffaloschools.org/Page/...20201015/month

BTW: I took 4 years of Spanish in High School and finally got to use it 43 years later

Old 10-20-2020, 12:25 PM

Syracuse, Attorney Uses Experience, Expertise to Pay It Forward: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...ney-jose-perez

Old 10-20-2020, 01:35 PM

Default Hispanic Heritage Council wants to expand reach beyond Buffalo’s West Side

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB)-As News 4 continues to celebrate Hispanic Heritage month, the Hispanic Heritage Council’s newly elected leaders say they want to expand their reach beyond Buffalo’s West Side.

Newly elected president Esmeralda Sierra and vice president Maritza Vega say there are pockets of Hispanic people in every part of Buffalo, and ever since Hurricane Maria, the Hispanic population here has continued to grow.

In keeping up with the increasing population, they’d like to see more resources available throughout the entire city, both for non-English speaking people and for those who serve to help that population.

“We need to stay focused in knowing that Hispanics don’t just live in the West Side. They live all over Buffalo, and we have to make sure that our politicians, our doctors, our clinicians, our schools have information that is bilingual and culturally sensitive,” Vega said.

Learn all about their goals for the upcoming year, Hispanic history in Buffalo, and more next Saturday at 7:30 on Channel 4 during our Hispanic Heritage special. Our show will re-air the following Saturday at 7 on WNLO.

https://www.wivb.com/community/hispa...los-west-side/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York