Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 01:32 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It isn't about an "emphasis" on STAR, but the point is to show what people are entitled to in regards to the overall property tax.

I know what the taxes are, but my point is that listings show what the overall property tax is, which includes the school tax. You can check this on any county website, which shows what the previous owner paid.

Unions can be issue in terms of teachers in NY, but you also don't want the issue that NC has in terms of poor pay for teachers either.
You and I have gone enough rounds, you always have a position that this program or moving to this place vice that or whatever cost less than XYZ. I'm stating that you have to evaluate the COL of a place based on the posted price not a program that someone might qualify for and even then doesn't help that much unless your over 65.

Taxes are not always reflected accurately in realtors ads, that's my point not the county records which may or may not be online or may or may not require you to have an account on the site.

What is poor teacher pay I don't know?? Today everyone feels they are worthy of top dollar so that's a wash. North Carolina has good teachers and schools and their kids are just as capable of going on to college or where ever they choose, people act like no good schools exist anywhere else. If teachers feel the pay is not worth it in NC then they won't take the jobs; supply/demand like everywhere else will dictate salaries and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 04:10 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You and I have gone enough rounds, you always have a position that this program or moving to this place vice that or whatever cost less than XYZ. I'm stating that you have to evaluate the COL of a place based on the posted price not a program that someone might qualify for and even then doesn't help that much unless your over 65.

Taxes are not always reflected accurately in realtors ads, that's my point not the county records which may or may not be online or may or may not require you to have an account on the site.

What is poor teacher pay I don't know?? Today everyone feels they are worthy of top dollar so that's a wash. North Carolina has good teachers and schools and their kids are just as capable of going on to college or where ever they choose, people act like no good schools exist anywhere else. If teachers feel the pay is not worth it in NC then they won't take the jobs; supply/demand like everywhere else will dictate salaries and benefits.
No, that isn't what I said about COL. My points are about what people are entitled to or what they could keep in mind in relation to costs/cost of living. That's it. Whether it is tax exemptions or potential tax differences between living in a village or a town.

There are 2 types of STAR and that is simple information that people should know, regardless of posted information.

Taxes on ads still includes school taxes in the listings, whether it is from the last owner or not.

Many, if not all counties in the state allow you to view tax info in terms of any address, whether it is for sale or not. That is something people doing research may also like to know.

I mentioned NC due to the issue of low pay for teachers having some impact on morale. I don't think I mentioned that other places do not have good schools.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:21 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,122 times
Quote:

Really? You mean the Charter Schools in NC that have a lottery for enrollment? You wonder how NC can have good schools with low taxes? By limiting how many students can get into those schools. That's how. I just looked at the global report card for student test scores against international students for the 2 wealthiest counties in NC (Orange and Wake) and the public school scores are just a low average. They are not "good". They are a low average. And that's where the best students should be located according to simple socio-economics. The charter schools have good scores. But again, emphasizing my point. Low taxes mean limited good schooling opportunities for the majority of the population.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:07 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
Why did you or why are you planning to leave NYS?

My reasons are:
-tired of the winters
-outrageous property taxes
-no jobs
-too much government regulation

What were/are your reasons?
Property Tax Rates By State 2016 - Tax-Rates.org

NY = #17 in US @ 1.23% of home value

Old 06-03-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Really? You mean the Charter Schools in NC that have a lottery for enrollment? You wonder how NC can have good schools with low taxes? By limiting how many students can get into those schools. That's how. I just looked at the global report card for student test scores against international students for the 2 wealthiest counties in NC (Orange and Wake) and the public school scores are just a low average. They are not "good". They are a low average. And that's where the best students should be located according to simple socio-economics. The charter schools have good scores. But again, emphasizing my point. Low taxes mean limited good schooling opportunities for the majority of the population.
I never use magnet or charter schools as a reference because their ability to glean the top x% does not provide an accurate reflection. You and others act as if no decent schools exist outside of NY, how are the schools in Rochester rated? Last I looked not to good for all the tax monies paid.

Wake may be an affluent county but there are plenty of low income demographics within it, districts are county wide so even though there are really great schools the final number gets brought down by the lesser performing one. How would Monroe county rate if all the scores for the existing districts were combined as one?

As districts in your own area reflect high taxes does not ensure better students.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
I never use magnet or charter schools as a reference because their ability to glean the top x% does not provide an accurate reflection. You and others act as if no decent schools exist outside of NY, how are the schools in Rochester rated? Last I looked not to good for all the tax monies paid.

Wake may be an affluent county but there are plenty of low income demographics within it, districts are county wide so even though there are really great schools the final number gets brought down by the lesser performing one. How would Monroe county rate if all the scores for the existing districts were combined as one?

As districts in your own area reflect high taxes does not ensure better students.
Except for Rochester City Schools, Monroe County has solid to some of the best public schools in the country(Brighton and Pittsford). Rochester is probably similar to Richmond City Schools, where there are select solid/good schools/programs and others that perform at a low level.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Except for Rochester City Schools, Monroe County has solid to some of the best public schools in the country(Brighton and Pittsford). Rochester is probably similar to Richmond City Schools, where there are select solid/good schools/programs and others that perform at a low level.
My response is to DB's post using his reference don't start this "well this district is ...." His site shows 24 school districts for Monroe County NY add them up and then compare it to Wake/Orange counties NC which he commented on. When you have to combine all of the districts in a county the numbers don't come out so strong as straw picking the top 1 or 2.

As for Richmond City which I do not live in it or claim it. There are maybe 2 or 3 good Elementary schools that's it, the secondary's stink and anyone who can sends their kids to private school or moves out to the burbs.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 06-03-2016 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-04-2016, 04:25 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,503 times
Quote:
My response is to DB's post using his reference don't start this "well this district is ...." His site shows 24 school districts for Monroe County NY add them up and then compare it to Wake/Orange counties NC which he commented on. When you have to combine all of the districts in a county the numbers don't come out so strong as straw picking the top 1 or 2.

As for Richmond City which I do not live in it or claim it. There are maybe 2 or 3 good Elementary schools that's it, the secondary's stink and anyone who can sends their kids to private school or moves out to the burbs.

Stop wasting your time talking to ckhthankgod. It's a copy and paste for that person all day.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:29 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Property Tax Rates By State 2016 - Tax-Rates.org

NY = #17 in US @ 1.23% of home value
Add school taxes. City of Poughkeepsie - 220K property would have taxes around $3500 plus another 4000 in school taxes. I don't have a problem with paying $5000 in property taxes but there's no way I'm going to be paying $10000. Don't get me started on Yonkers, NY - Detroit in the making.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
Stop wasting your time talking to ckhthankgod. It's a copy and paste for that person all day.
We have a long history of maintaining opposite opinions and views but I prefer to stick to arguing the point made and not the person posting it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York