Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 30,261 times

Advertisements

Hello all long story short, our family of 4 is looking to relocate to upstate NY, most particularly, for better autism services for our 5 year old son. Our current situation isn't...ideal (understatement). As of now, we are highly considering either the Buffalo area or Syracuse area. Any information would be extremely helpful to us...including schools, therapies/treatment/ABA, activities...absolutely anything. We also have a younger son who isn't on the spectrum. A family-friendly and safe environment is very important to us as well. Again, any information and advice will be much appreciated and crucially helpful to us in making a better decision for our family! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 03:17 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsprad View Post
Hello all long story short, our family of 4 is looking to relocate to upstate NY, most particularly, for better autism services for our 5 year old son. Our current situation isn't...ideal (understatement). As of now, we are highly considering either the Buffalo area or Syracuse area. Any information would be extremely helpful to us...including schools, therapies/treatment/ABA, activities...absolutely anything. We also have a younger son who isn't on the spectrum. A family-friendly and safe environment is very important to us as well. Again, any information and advice will be much appreciated and crucially helpful to us in making a better decision for our family! Thank you in advance!
What about the employment situation?

In terms of the Syracuse area, look into the SKATE program through BOCES. I've heard that East Syracuse-Minoa is a school district that provides good special education services and is generally a solid school district that offers a variety of programs(i.e.-a Pre K program for 1-4 yr olds). As you can tell by the name, it is an eastern suburban school district. ESM School District

Onondaga - Cortland - Madison Counties BOCES

More links for other resources: Resources - Resources - Jowonio School

Old 01-19-2016, 09:29 PM

Thank you so much for the info. My husband is a realtor and I am currently a stay-at-home. Thank you for the links! Our move most likely will be within a years' time. We are trying to get a good feel of what is available in these areas to help us make a more solid decision on location. Better to hear from the people than just what is put on the internet. Anything is helpful! So, again- Thank you much!

Old 01-27-2016, 09:54 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times
I live in the Hudson Valley and have an ASD child. We get up to 20hrs a week of services. I believe the program in this state is the best in the country. I am not sure what other counties are like but given the emphasis the state has put on this I imagine you will find plenty of ABA, OP, etc.. programs to fit your needs in any county, particular higher populated ones like Onondaga.

Its one good thing about all the taxes here. I have heard horror stories of parents in other states who have to pay privately (huge cost) or rely on just a few hours a month. Good luck to you.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,448 times
Hi HSPRAD,

Even though I practice Special Education law in New York City and Long Island, I know of an excellent lawyer in Syracuse should you need guidance. It sounds like that you got some good info. Do you want me to inquire as to the best programs in the Syracuse area for your child?

Jonathan Berger

[url=http://www.drukmanlaw.com/attorney-profiles/jonathan-berger/]Jonathan Berger - The Law Offices of Samuel L. Drukman[/url]

Old 04-14-2016, 04:42 PM

Montydean - thank you so much. The more research we do, we are finding this to be true. Which is great. The resources we have here where we currently live are slim...your information is great to hear

Old 04-14-2016, 04:44 PM

Jonathan Berger - should it come to that, I will definitely consider taking you up on that offer. Thank you for reaching out to me

Old 04-14-2016, 07:06 PM

169 posts, read 330,651 times
we also live in the hudson valley region, in the Arlington Central School District and have found this district to have a varierty of services, up and down the spectrum and almost any type of program for all kinds of children. That doesnt mean that they give anything on a silver platter. I have had to advocate very strongly, using an advocate for my son. However, it has been well worth it.

I dont know if your child is high functioning or not, but they do have programs or special classes if the child needs intense services and also have co taught classes, on the end, for kids of various special needs that are mainstreamed all or some part of the day with typical kids.

Let me know if you are considering this region at all. Best of luck!

Old 04-15-2016, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 7,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsprad View Post
Great post! I too am seeking same for a family of three. Extensive research has brought me to same UpState New, York region as the best in the country. Our son is 13 entering High School soon.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:15 PM

6 posts, read 13,462 times
East Syracuse Minoa is phenomenal! I have two children on the spectrum (one with severe Autism, the other fairly mild) and I could not be more pleased with the dedication, compassion, professionalism and WARMTH demonstrated by every faculty and staff member involved with the special education process in district. We relocated from Seattle, WA a year ago and had zero trouble getting the kiddos up and running with everything they needed in terms of services. Communication between OT/PT and Speech service providers at the elementary school level is both proactive and transparent -It's not unusual for me to receive a call from my son's speech therapist a few times a month just to update me on his progress and help me brainstorm ways to keep him excited and engaged. Everyone from the principals on down exercise an open door policy and are always willing to make time to address any concerns. There is never a time when I feel like I'm not fully briefed, or left wondering exactly what's going on in the classroom.

I'd shoot Cate Colucci an email if you'd like additional info specific to your child's needs
Special Education

Plenty of family-friendly activities available in the area, and the therapeutic service providers are abundant (10-15 min drive into Syracuse). There are even several family medical practices in the area who specialize in routine medical treatment for children with Autism and sensory issues (Dentists, Pediatricians, Opthamologists, etc.)

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by SweetAcidophilus; 04-27-2016 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York