Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 09:12 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,785,700 times

Advertisements

How many hours should one devote to touring Letchworth in order to get a good look? Will a few hours do? Or does one need a complete day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,215,370 times
Do you want to hike down into the gorge or hike the entire rim? If so, you should probably plan on an entire day. Just driving from scenic overlook to scenic overlook and taking only a minimal time for photography will take a few hours. Throw in a short hike to the Upper Falls, a visit to the museum, the gift shop, and lunch at the Glen Iris, and it's easily a full day.

I only live a couple of hours away, and I can get in for free on week days (I'm a senior), so I visit Letchworth a few times a year, usually for "only a few hours", but I'll do different parts of the park on my visits.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:36 AM

969 posts, read 2,076,317 times
I'd recommend min. 5 hours focusing in the southern section. Maybe park at the big bend area just downstream of the lower falls and hike from there to the upper falls and back. On the way back you can shortcut the lower falls trail and stay on the road. I'd definitely recommend hiking down to the lower falls across the pedestrian bridge and back, then upstream to the upper falls & train trestle (which will be replaced over the next few years). Was there just yesterday, have been going there my entire life and it still blows me away like it's my first time.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:25 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,785,700 times
Thanks Linda D. and Krisps! None of my family are strenuous hikers by all means but we probably do want to get out and walk around a bit to get the most out of the visit. I guess I will have to budget some time and arrange the plans so that we have enough time to see what we want to see in Buffalo and Rochester as well.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:20 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,825,959 times
You can do most of the place in a car, but never will you see the falls. You can go to the highest parting lot and hike part of the falls. To be at the upper falls by the trestle? Heaven.

Look at the overlook -- some guy working there in the 1930s on the trails and overlooks ( it was a WPA project) was obviously from Texas. He carved "Texas" and a star in one of the pavers. I was amazed the first time I was it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York