Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:17 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Nana2adtmia:

I'm sure you will like your new location, just make sure it is not one that has the same "Progressive" policies that have driven so many people out and continue to do so. I don't know if you've ever been here, but I hope you will consider Arizona it's a great big wonderful state. We are self employed so we could choose wherever we wanted to live, the southwest was our destination, 1st choice Arizona, 2nd choice Utah, 3rd New Mexico. We chose the southwest over other states because we love the scenery and weather here, it is also more compatible with my way of thinking. However, we probably would be just as happy in any other number of states as long as they didn't have the same "Progressive" governments and we were out of the northeast. The south would have been fine except from what I've heard are "muggy and buggy". The mid west is "tornado alley". Montana and the Dakota's are too cold. California too "Liberal" and has the same problems as New York and earthquakes. The Northwest too much rain. I've been to 21 different states and am not sorry I chose Arizona, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. However there is a place for everyone just do your homework and make sure that the place you move to is really where you want to be. I wish you all the luck in your decision. You are fortunate that your family has left and could probably move close to them. We left everyone behind and although I miss them, we made a lot of new friends out here within a short period of time. I can't see myself ever going back to New York, not even for a visit.
I feel you both on the not wanting to visit. My family is there, I oftentimes think about visiting, but then it pops into my head: why the heck would I want to go to NY? Someday I will, I owe it to them I guess.

If you wanted to live by the beach, where would you have chosen to live?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
rorytmeadows:
Quote:
"If you wanted to live by the beach, where would you have chosen to live?"
Don't know, I'm not a "beach" person, maybe Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach? In Arizona, Lake Havasu City, except it's in the middle of the Mojave Desert and the hottest place in Arizona along with the other cities along the Colorado River corridor. It's 3 hours west of me and I can visit there anytime.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Availability of guns has an almost perfect correlation to gun related deaths. It isn't a coincidence that New York City has some of the lowest gun homicide rates for any large (>1 million) Metro, including all the southern pro-gun cities. It is just common sense.
Really? Then how come Vermont, which has perhaps the most lenient gun laws in the United States, constantly has one of the lowest murder rates? Given your theory, there should be lots of shoot-ups in Vermont, shouldn't there?

Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Really? Then how come Vermont, which has perhaps the most lenient gun laws in the United States, constantly has one of the lowest murder rates? Given your theory, there should be lots of shoot-ups in Vermont, shouldn't there?
Through one of the links ck posted, there is absolutely no correlation, but liberals tend to ignore the evidence. Montana has like the highest gun ownership percentages but a terribly low guns murder rate. Great to hear the same about VT.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:01 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I think the more rural character of Vermont and Montana has a lot to do with that as well.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:47 AM

rorytmeadows:
Quote:
"Through one of the links ck posted, there is absolutely no correlation, but liberals tend to ignore the evidence. Montana has like the highest gun ownership percentages but a terribly low guns murder rate. Great to hear the same about VT."
They sure do! Arizona is a "Constitutional Carry" state, meaning no permit is required to carry either openly or concealed. It was quite liberating when I first moved here to be able to walk into a gun store fill out Form 4473 do the NICS check and walk out of the store with a handgun. In New York even though I went through all the BS of obtaining a concealed weapons permit you could not buy an additional handgun without getting an amended permit which sometimes took forever for the county judge to sign. Or it would sit on the police commissioners desk as mine did for nine months. In addition the police had to come to my house to inspect the premises because of Westchester County's "safe storage law". In Arizona it is not uncommon to see people openly carrying a firearm. When I see it, I think thank God I live in a free state. Permits are available here for reciprocity with other states, with the permit you do not have to go through the NICS check every time you purchase a firearm just fill Form 4473 and off you go. I have since obtained the Arizona permit. We already have enough laws to address the criminal or negligent mis-use of firearms. Any additional laws are there for political retribution by "Progressives" to punish those whose behavior they find abhorrent. These laws have no effect on the criminal or negligent mis-use of firearms. Same for "Gun Free Zones".

Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 AM

ckhthankgod:
Quote:
"I think the more rural character of Vermont and Montana has a lot to do with that as well."
You might be right, but what should that have to do with law abiding people being able to freely exercise their God given constitutional rights no matter where they live? Just because people live in a more oppressive state does not make them less trustworthy. If the government can't trust law abiding people with firearms. How can those same people trust the government?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:02 AM

rubygreta:
Quote:
"Really? Then how come Vermont, which has perhaps the most lenient gun laws in the United States, constantly has one of the lowest murder rates? Given your theory, there should be lots of shoot-ups in Vermont, shouldn't there?"
I hate to admit this, but you've made my day! I take back all those bad things I've said about you. There is hope!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the more rural character of Vermont and Montana has a lot to do with that as well.
Let's be honest. It's not a rural/city issue, it's a race issue. If urban blacks (and to a lesser degree, urban Hispanics), had the same murder rates as urban whites, I bet the United States would have a murder rate that is similar to most European countries. We have to figure out a way to stop urban blacks from killing each other.

Whatever New York City has done should be implemented exported to the rest of the country. A city that had over 2,000 murders annually in the 1990's is projected to have 300 this year.

And it's not gun control, because Chicago and Philly and other cities with the same strict gun control laws as New York City have astronomically high murder rates.

And you just can't blame poverty. The US had its lowest murder rate in the 1930's, the decade of the Great Depression.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:15 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
ckhthankgod:

You might be right, but what should that have to do with law abiding people being able to freely exercise their God given constitutional rights no matter where they live? Just because people live in a more oppressive state does not make them less trustworthy. If the government can't trust law abiding people with firearms. How can those same people trust the government?
Where did you get all of that from that comment? My point was more about the mindset of the people and the lower density of those states.

Again, I already mentioned a case where the states can basically make any adjustments to such an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York