Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM

93,893 posts, read 124,640,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
North Charleston has a stigma as being the "ghetto" of Charleston. It's just not true. Just like any city, there's good parts and bad parts. One of the largest employers, the Charleston Naval Shipyard, was the heart and soul of N. Charleston, when they closed the yard down in the early 1990's, N. Charleston went downhill quickly. It has since rebounded nicely. 2 of the top 5 high schools in SC are in N. Charleston and 3 of the top 10 Middle Schools. N. Chas. has had a surge of retail openings, to include Tanger Outlets (close to Boeing, also a great score for N. Charleston) and they are set to open a Bass Pro Shops next year. Some of the best affordable living can be found in N. Charleston.

Not really any annexations to speak of except that Jedburg, which is west of Summerville, is basically in the Summerville city limits now due to the sprawl that's happening there. Also, Moncks Corner is spreading rapidly south and will soon be merging with Goose Creek (10 years or so).

Another excellent example of N. Charleston rebounding is Park Circle. Homes build in the 1920-1950 range, cute brick cottage style. 4 really beautiful parks, historic churches, once vacant shopping centers refilled with coffee shops and specialty stores. A great place to live for under $200k. It's close to the paper mill which takes some getting used to but I'd live in Park Circle in a heartbeat. 15 years ago it was infested with drugs and prostitutes etc... today it's a thriving community, they've had a complete turn-around.
That is good to hear and I hope North Charleston continues to improve.

I thought that Charleston annexed some unincorporated areas about several years ago. I also didn't realize that Daniel Island was within Charleston city limits, if I'm not mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,834,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I get that, but I'm just saying it is easy to find places with a high % of English speakers.

Also, I'm sure that SLO is nice, but that home is smaller than some cheap apartments around here. Would the % of non English speakers at home be an issue there(around 20%)?
Yes, its easy to find that information. All I was saying is that would be one of the determining criteria for me, more so than median home price.

I'm not sure if it would be an issue, from my experience there, most likely not. I had no problem talking with people when I was there. Personally, I'd never spend $200k on 400 sq. feet, but its an option for someone. It costs that price for a reason- superb weather, incredible natural landscape, ocean nearby, LA not too far, are probably some main reasons. However, its way too expensive for my pockets.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,008,110 times
Quote:
That is good to hear and I hope North Charleston continues to improve.

I thought that Charleston annexed some unincorporated areas about several years ago. I also didn't realize that Daniel Island was within Charleston city limits, if I'm not mistaken.
Daniel Island lies in Berkeley County but has been annexed by the City of Charleston.

Charleston tried to annex James Island for quite a few years, but it still remains a town in Charleston County, it's up for vote seems like every year lol.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
VintageSunlight:

You've nailed it! Along with the rest of your post. Good job. Nothing against South Carolina it's just not for me, I love and chose Arizona, though I'd much rather be in SC than New York anyday.
Personally, I couldn't see myself living in SC either. Its just not my cup of tea, though some parts are really nice. I'm assuming you are talking about NYC. I made a personal vow to never ever live in the NYC metro again! Did you live in the city or Upstate?

Old 04-22-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Yes, its easy to find that information. All I was saying is that would be one of the determining criteria for me, more so than median home price.

I'm not sure if it would be an issue, from my experience there, most likely not. I had no problem talking with people when I was there. Personally, I'd never spend $200k on 400 sq. feet, but its an option for someone. It costs that price for a reason- superb weather, incredible natural landscape, ocean nearby, LA not too far, are probably some main reasons. However, its way too expensive for my pockets.
Couldn't the same be said about certain communities in or near the NYC area as well? Like you stated, such places are at that price tag for a reason.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Daniel Island lies in Berkeley County but has been annexed by the City of Charleston.

Charleston tried to annex James Island for quite a few years, but it still remains a town in Charleston County, it's up for vote seems like every year lol.
Do you think James Island will cave in and get annexed? It seems like it is a matter of time. Is Folly Island its own community or has it been annexed as well?

Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Couldn't the same be said about certain communities in or near the NYC area as well? Like you stated, such places are at that price tag for a reason.
I don't understand. Costs near NYC are high, and at the time I was there by familial upbringing, and a long term position that I didn't want to give up, less than by choice. If I'm understanding your point correctly, I think that's what you mean.

Some people choose to pay $500k in NYC for 400 sq feet, I am certainly not one of them, and I can't understand the appeal for the life of me.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I don't understand. Costs near NYC are high, and at the time I was there by familial upbringing, and a long term position that I didn't want to give up, less than by choice. If I'm understanding your point correctly, I think that's what you mean.

Some people choose to pay $500k in NYC for 400 sq feet, I am certainly not one of them, and I can't understand the appeal for the life of me.
The latter portion of your post is what I'm kind of getting at, but maybe not in terms of that exact example. My point is that the same statement about SLO could be made about certain locations within the sphere of the NYC area for some reason(s).

Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
The latter portion of your post is what I'm kind of getting at, but maybe not in terms of that exact example. My point is that the same statement about SLO could be made about certain locations within the sphere of the NYC area for some reason(s).
I mean, yeah, the appeal of NYC is strong for many. Strong enough to live in roach and rat infested dwellings for $3k a month, in a place smaller than the average walk-in closet in Charleston. Its a foreign concept for me, but to each their own.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:52 PM

19,292 posts, read 17,174,435 times
Quote:
North Charleston has a stigma as being the "ghetto" of Charleston. It's just not true. Just like any city, there's good parts and bad parts. One of the largest employers, the Charleston Naval Shipyard, was the heart and soul of N. Charleston, when they closed the yard down in the early 1990's, N. Charleston went downhill quickly. It has since rebounded nicely. 2 of the top 5 high schools in SC are in N. Charleston and 3 of the top 10 Middle Schools. N. Chas. has had a surge of retail openings, to include Tanger Outlets (close to Boeing, also a great score for N. Charleston) and they are set to open a Bass Pro Shops next year. Some of the best affordable living can be found in N. Charleston.
Let me tell you, back in the 80's it was a slum! Coming out of the Naval Base over the Viaduct was the Americana Hotel where the hourly entertainment went, the 7-11 for drugs and hustlers and the VFW which had 12 ft fencing and barbed wire on top for protection. We were told not to walk off the base alone and never at night, Spruill avenue was a war zone and the housing on there was some of the most dangerous. Public transit was poor to none existant and I still remember the public house down King Street, it was so old I believe it was on the National Historic Registry...

If things have improved that's great but realize North Chasn was like Beirut. Next time I'm there I will go have a cold one at the Remount Road Drink Establishment (if it's still there) ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York