Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,661,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I have gas wells "in my backyard" since my property has 1 gas well totally on it plus 2 gas reservoirs partially on it, and no, there's no contamination of the water supply.

This is an absolutely hysterical and stupid statement. You KNOW absolutely NOTHING ... and prove it.

You should be worried a whole lot more about aquifier contamination from what the US Army stored (probably in easily corroded barrels) at the Seneca Army Depot than you should worry about fracking.

Good for you! Keep your gas wells! I don't want them on my land or land around me. How exactly do you know there hasn't been ANY water contamination or that there never will be?

And I do worry about what is still remaining in the Army Depot. THere are claims that it has been emptied, but I highly doubt it. Never said I didn't worry about it.

We're also extremely concerned about the 2 landfills here. There are several issues with both.

I know several farmers and vineyards owners where I live and they have said they will close up and attempt to sell their land if fracking comes. No one will buy their wine or product if gas wells are here. So how exactly are my statements "hysterical and stupid"? I don't live in Jamestown. Thank you very much.

The town I live isn't a booming metropolis. The rebuilding of it is verrrrrrry slow going. Mess up our lake and it's all over. Who wants to go to a contaminated lake? No one. Forget all the tourists from NYC and LI who spend big bucks here. It could devastate our local economy. Why risk it? For what? The money all goes to the oil/gas companies. They hire very few workers and the bulk of them are not local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 PM

93,812 posts, read 124,552,237 times
Here are a couple of related articles: Natural gas divides Seneca Lake community | Innovation Trail

Study calls fracking job number claims

Old 12-01-2013, 05:36 PM

914 posts, read 2,923,991 times
I have posted on other related threads on this topic. not sure where NYS is on this issue at the moment, but my contention is the same as others have expressed on here. It would destroy tourism in the central NY/Finger Lakes region. Currently, the local economies depend heavily on tourism, and as others have stated no one wants to vacation next to the noise and ugliness that fracking brings.

It's just not the scarring of the landscape, most of which is irreparable, but the attendant issues like increased truck traffic from the tankers, and the ones that haul away the contaminated waste water. Also, the drill pads are horrifcally ugly and industrial-looking and and the noise that emanates from them 24/7 is deafening if you are nearby.

Communities have to think long and hard about what they are doing and why. how much gain is there really and for how long? And after it is over - and it will be over because these deposits are not infinite - then what? You can never recover what has been lost in terms of community goodwill, harmony, tourism, the land/eco-system, any contamination of lakes ,etc.

*Also, I wanted to add that real estate values would be negatively affected. They are already low upstate, but who in their right mind would want to purchase a home or second/vacation home next to a fracking operation?

Last edited by looking4home; 12-01-2013 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: additonal comments

Old 12-02-2013, 03:24 PM

961 posts, read 2,509,348 times
...Can honestly say I am in the middle on this.....fracking dangers vs gas drilling benfits.. HOWEVER..this state can't get out of it's own way....a win by default for the antis. Don't know what they're worried about, this issue will never be resolved. I know for a fact that some gas company types have pulled up stakes out of NYS...they see this as a lost cause The antis' shouldn't gloat too much. Of course....they don't have to worry about keeping a blue collar job(now gone for me) or trying to make a go of it farming(yours truly) in this over taxed, over regulated, $$$ utility cost state. ......Shuda' followed my intuition and settled elsewhere after comin back from "Uncle Sam's employment.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 PM

93,812 posts, read 124,552,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
...Can honestly say I am in the middle on this.....fracking dangers vs gas drilling benfits.. HOWEVER..this state can't get out of it's own way....a win by default for the antis. Don't know what they're worried about, this issue will never be resolved. I know for a fact that some gas company types have pulled up stakes out of NYS...they see this as a lost cause The antis' shouldn't gloat too much. Of course....they don't have to worry about keeping a blue collar job(now gone for me) or trying to make a go of it farming(yours truly) in this over taxed, over regulated, $$$ utility cost state. ......Shuda' followed my intuition and settled elsewhere after comin back from "Uncle Sam's employment.
What about PA?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,270,195 times
Folks, the anti-fracking people are not anti-fracking because they fear the process and its impact on the environment. They are against fracking because they are earth worshipers, and natural gas competes with their fantasy of the United States having 100% of its electrical generation coming from renewable energy. Because natural gas is a cheap and abundant competitor, they must kill it.

You can look it up. There are organizations called something like 2030 Carbon Free, which actually think that wind, solar, hydro and whatever else they are dreaming of can power the American economy, including enough power to charge batteries in 150 million electric cars.

With respect to New York State, I can understand why there are concerns in wine country. But the area between Route 17 and the Pennsylvania border, has no tourism, no wineries, no lakes, and very few people. There is absolutely no reason why fracking should not commence in Broome, Tioga and Steuben counties tomorrow.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:31 AM

914 posts, read 2,923,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Folks, the anti-fracking people are not anti-fracking because they fear the process and its impact on the environment. They are against fracking because they are earth worshipers, and natural gas competes with their fantasy of the United States having 100% of its electrical generation coming from renewable energy. Because natural gas is a cheap and abundant competitor, they must kill it.

You can look it up. There are organizations called something like 2030 Carbon Free, which actually think that wind, solar, hydro and whatever else they are dreaming of can power the American economy, including enough power to charge batteries in 150 million electric cars.

With respect to New York State, I can understand why there are concerns in wine country. But the area between Route 17 and the Pennsylvania border, has no tourism, no wineries, no lakes, and very few people. There is absolutely no reason why fracking should not commence in Broome, Tioga and Steuben counties tomorrow.
I think if the conversation was just confined to the Southern Tier there wouldn't be such an outcry. But central NY keeps creeping into the conversation and that makes people nervous. And rightly so, I might add. Perhaps there's nothing to it, and it's just the media looking for sensational, hot-button topics. Or maybe there are some plans, like what's being proposed around Seneca lake.

The entire Finger Lakes region should be off-limits because of watershed/water supply issues. Legislators in Albany need to step up, and do the right thing, and make a provision that no fracking or related acitivites go on in this area. The lakes are just too important, not only to tourism, but because they are so unique, and a natural wonder that should be protected like a state park (Adirondaks). But I guess I'm just biased!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,810,312 times
I guess one could make a case for opening up only the Susquehanna watershed, and only those portions that aren't in or recharging a sole source aquifer, and allow towns to opt out. Then the tourist, fu-fu, and large NYS municipal watershed areas (NYC, Rochester, Syracuse) are excluded, and the poorest parts of the state that need an economic stimulus can get one. That would also make use of the existing SRBC regulatory framework currently applied in PA, too. It might be best to exclude state owned land as well, to allow first dibs to the long suffering property tax payers. Certainly NY won't be as stupid as PA to give the drillers a tax holiday they don't get in OK, TX, WV.

Edit: These are the sole source aquifers in NY State: http://www.epa.gov/region02/water/aquifer/ - although I'm sure the "Clinton Street Ballpark SSA" would be subject to a bit more definitional questions if applied to this use.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM

9,184 posts, read 13,286,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home;32463311[B
]I think if the conversation was just confined to the Southern Tier there wouldn't be such an outcry. But central NY keeps creeping into the conversation and that makes people nervous. [/b]And rightly so, I might add. Perhaps there's nothing to it, and it's just the media looking for sensational, hot-button topics. Or maybe there are some plans, like what's being proposed around Seneca lake.

The entire Finger Lakes region should be off-limits because of watershed/water supply issues. Legislators in Albany need to step up, and do the right thing, and make a provision that no fracking or related acitivites go on in this area. The lakes are just too important, not only to tourism, but because they are so unique, and a natural wonder that should be protected like a state park (Adirondaks). But I guess I'm just biased!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I guess one could make a case for opening up only the Susquehanna watershed, and only those portions that aren't in or recharging a sole source aquifer, and allow towns to opt out. Then the tourist, fu-fu, and large NYS municipal watershed areas (NYC, Rochester, Syracuse) are excluded, and the poorest parts of the state that need an economic stimulus can get one. That would also make use of the existing SRBC regulatory framework currently applied in PA, too. It might be best to exclude state owned land as well, to allow first dibs to the long suffering property tax payers. Certainly NY won't be as stupid as PA to give the drillers a tax holiday they don't get in OK, TX, WV.

Edit: These are the sole source aquifers in NY State: Water | Region 2 | US EPA - although I'm sure the "Clinton Street Ballpark SSA" would be subject to a bit more definitional questions if applied to this use.
I can see this. The Southern Tier or the "Appalachia part" of New York is among the poorest part of the state and could use a economic boost.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachia

HOWEVER we need to be aware, the danger is once we open one part of the state there is a good chance there would be pressure groups to open up other parts of the state like the Finger Lakes or the outer Catskills. Also, I am sure that even in the Southern Tier more than a few people do not want fracking.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:22 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,810,312 times
There's also an objective case for omitting the Finger Lakes, Oneida Lake, and Lake Erie basin from fracking - the watershed divide is close to all the lakes and the protective overburden over the gas shales is lost (and even the Marcellus crops out before reaching most of the lakes, or in the lakes) I've also observed that the yard sign geography changes fairly quickly from "Frack" in a circle with a line through it, to "Friends of Natural Gas NY" right around the watershed divide. The SSA criterion carves out the environs of Binghamton and Cortland, local option would take out Cooperstown, thinning strata if not local option would probably take out the Chautauqua Lake area. That leaves basically Elmira/Corning/Hornell and Norwich/Oneonta as more fracking likely areas. Elmira/Corning already has some gas service industry base as the historic service hub with better rail/highway access to the fracking areas in Tioga and Bradford counties in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York