Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:50 PM

872 posts, read 3,588,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Reason #437 not to live in NC: no Italian food.
What Carrabba's doesn't count?

Old 09-27-2006, 04:06 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,089,052 times
I saw this thread and I couldnt resist. I have lived in NC my whole life. My family is all from NC. I live near the Lake Norman area which is north of Charlotte. The growth is unbelievable. The top state of newcomers to NC comes from NY. So actually if you move to the Raleigh or Charlotte area you will be around newcomers. Ill bet the one who started this thread actually was around more people from NY than NC.

North Carolina is the new Florida.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Florida is second on that list of newcomers. But don't forget the Floridians moving to Nc were probably from New York in the first place.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:00 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,761,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbackhome View Post
the poeple are mean and rude . Most women here are form Long island and are heavy sedation to just live here since they can not afford to move back.
She says so herself! Go figure.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 PM

914 posts, read 2,924,720 times
These are the kind of nightmarish growth patterns that are ruining once-nice towns and regions of certain states. I live in an area of Northern CA that has seen tremendous growth in the last ten years - we went from a population of around 45,000 to 115,000 in that amount of time! It has destroyed the fiber of the community we loved. So now we want out, too. And so goes the cycle of discontent and flight. Perhaps if we all tried to make the place we live in better, or looked within ourselves for happiness, we would not have these sort of situations occuring and reoccuring.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:51 PM

23 posts, read 126,388 times
Depending on what you want to spend, Johnstown is about 20 minutes northwest of Schenectady and is a safe, decent place to settle down. Housing is really cheap. Or there are communities in and around Saratoga and Glens Falls. Glens Falls and surrounding is nice. It's not congested up here at all. It's relatively safe, beautiful Adirondacks too. Like skiing? Horses? I moved up here from NYC. I grew up in Virginia, lived in Durham, NC and have to think why would anyone move to NC. I mean the Outer Banks is one thing for a vacation. But the state is crowded and I don't think, except for western mountainous area, it's so pretty.

Why do people still think NC is a lala land? Hey where I live it's not crowded and I can back up a trail for 3.5 miles, pitch a tent and have my own private pond full of big, fat rainbow trout just waiting for me to catch for supper (of course now I'd probably throw 'em all back)

Old 09-28-2006, 03:41 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,089,052 times
The only difference you will find in NC than NY is probably the weather, and it has its ups and downs. Most people moving to NC all move to the same areas, which is why the infrastructure is strained so bad. Everything is rather new, so it looks nice, and I think it influences people perception of the area. It boils down to simply a Walmart here is the same as a Walmart up north.

A warning to newcomers. My mouth drops when I hear what some homes are going for. Believe me when I tell you while you think you may be getting a good deal, the developer is laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:09 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax View Post
I haven't had many negative experiences with people in NC, but I hated the area around Charlotte. I was very boring and bland. All of the houses looked the same, you are surrounded by boring chain stores and restaurants. Nothing unique about the area. No culture. Peoples idea of an Italian restaurant is the olive garden. I guess if you are middle aged and want the safe quiet life its fine, but for somebody that likes to do things such as going out to eat it is horrible.
Coming from NYC maybe especially if you like that type of life, but compared to upstate NY I thought Charlotte was pretty exciting.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 452,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Coming from NYC maybe especially if you like that type of life, but compared to upstate NY I thought Charlotte was pretty exciting.

I thought the exact opposite. Of course upstate does not compare to NYC, but Charlotte does not compare to upstate NY. Cities half the size of Charlotte in upstate ny have much much more going on in them. Much more arts and culture. Better restaurant choices. Better atmosphere. Better nightlife. Of course Charlotte had a handfull of nice places, but for a city of 500,000 +, it was not impressive. I have found that other newer cities (south, west) such as Charlotte have this problem. They have not been around long enough to establish an identity.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax View Post
They have not been around long enough to establish an identity.
Charlotte's been around since the Mid 1700's. It's had a rich history but for some reason or another the cty leaders over the years have virtually shuned that history. No wonder most percive Charlotte as a grey, boring banking city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York