Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should we structure proposed sub-forums for Dutchess, Putnam, and Orange counties?
Separate sub-forums for each of these counties 0 0%
Dutchess and Orange counties in one sub-forum, Putnam County in another 2 28.57%
Dutchess and Putnam counties in one sub-forum, Orange County in another 3 42.86%
No new sub-forums for these counties 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:08 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,745,728 times

Advertisements

We are considering adding sub-forums for Dutchess, Putnam, and Orange counties. Please vote to help us decide how to structure them. This poll will be open for four days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
How about a Hudson Valley Region Forum?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
How about a Hudson Valley Region Forum?
I agree or look at the metro area(s) for that area. I believe that Poughkeepsie/Newburgh/Middletown is a metro area now and actually has about as many, if not more people than the Syracuse metro now. I'm not sure if Ulster County(Kingston) is included in that area, but it can be included in a Hudson Valley forum. Many people ask about New Paltz, Saugerties, Kingston and Woodstock, which are all in that county. Orange County, I believe is the fastest growing county in NY State, by the way. So, that part of the state is due for a forum.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:13 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,745,728 times
I think a sub-forum for the whole Hudson Valley might be too large and it could be argued that it should cover existing sub-forums such as Westchester and Albany, making it not well defined. Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro area is defined to include Dutchess and Orange Counties only.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Also, for high school sports Sullivan, Orange and Ulster counties are in the same Section and Dutchess and Putnam counties are in the same Section as Rockland and Westchester counties.

You could just add Ulster County/Kingston area to the Poughkeepsie/Newburgh/Middletown metro area too.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM

222 posts, read 715,242 times
Default Orange, Ulster and Sullivan Sub Forum

I agree I think it's time for a sub forum for the Hudson Valley region, however I propose that the three counties west of the Hudson River: Orange County, Ulster and Sullivan be grouped together rather than Orange, Putnam and Dutchess Counties

Many people who live in Sullivan County work in Orange or Ulster County and shop at malls in Middletown. Also, the concerns about e natural gas drilling in the NYC watershed are environmental issues which greatly impact Ulster and Sullivan.

Dutchess County is more upscale and more similar to Westchester and Rockland in terms of lifestyle and socio-economic demographics.

Whatever you do decide, I'm glad that you are considering creating another sub forum for the Hudson Valley/Catskill region.

Galee

Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
I think a sub-forum for the whole Hudson Valley might be too large and it could be argued that it should cover existing sub-forums such as Westchester and Albany, making it not well defined. Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro area is defined to include Dutchess and Orange Counties only.
Are there really that many topics for all these areas? One would think it would be = to the NYC forum at most.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:03 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,823 times
If a subforum is to be created, I think the Hudson River is the dividing line. I think grouping Rockland, Orange, Sullivan and Ulster together to would coincide with the the broad way many of the residents of the area think of the region.

New York is a massive state. I, for one, would like to be able to focus on postings related to Orange and Rockland instead of seeing questions of my region mixed in with inquiries about Rochester, Binghamton, etc.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,102,322 times
I think Orange & Rockland together would make sense. Westchester is too different from the west side of the hudson.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
I would combine the mentioned counties with Westchester. People interested in these counties have more in common than what separates them. The biggest difference between Rockland and northern Westchester is that you must cross a bridge to get to NYC and the term 'Westchester/Rockland' is a longstanding geographic designator in southern New York as is 'Westchester/Putnam', So I say lump them all together. As it is, the Westchester forum gets little traffic.

"Lower Hudson" would be a good name for the sub-forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York