Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little help View Post
how long will it take for me to get called off the recent t/o test if i got a 97.5 --2 wrong my friend got a 96.25---3 wrong are those good scores?

Your grade has nothing to do with the length of time it takes to be called. That's entirely dependent on MTA's needs in the train operator department. More people retire or service is expanded = faster use of that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 PM

243 posts, read 1,333,499 times
I think I may have explained this before in an earlier post , but in case I didn't , here goes. With regards to length of time it takes to get called , count on it taking between 3 and 4 years if you get a list number in the top thousand. The state (and we're state , not city employees) has been hiring motormen left and right over the last 3 years , including me. I remember when I got hired and was going through training , whenever myself or another 'rookie' appeared on a line or in a yard to post that day , all the more senior motormen were rolling their eyes and complaining "there goes the overtime". The decision was made to hire the amount of motormen needed to cover the work that was needed to be done so that OT could be cut down on , AND at the time this financial meltdown we're in hadn't become public news yet and there seemed a very real chance we were going to get a 20/50 retirement plan signed into law by then Gov. Spitzer , which would have led to mass retirements of senior motormen. At the present time the staffing level of motormen is adequate , and it seems all but absolutely certain 20/50 is done. Therefore , from the open competitive test that was just given it is going to be used primarily to hire for normal attrition due to retirements , promotions , people leaving. There is not going to be a 'hiring blitz' like there just was for some time. In fact , before the one I came on under from my understanding , there is typically one such blitz about every 10-15 years. If you scored in the mid-high 90's you have a decent shot of getting hired if you pass the rest of the steps , but it will take about 3-4 years. I'm telling you all the real deal and not trying to tell you things you want to hear to be nice , or compare the hiring of train operators to other titles in the MTA or civil service that have nothing to do with THIS title. I know the wait sucks , I went through it too , and I write and post here because I remember when I was waiting I'd ask anybody in an MTA uniform if they had any idea when people would be hired off my exam and I heard everywhere from the ridiculous 3 months on up to the exam was going to be thrown out and the MTA was going to go back to hiring promotionals only. And the reality was with a 98 , it took about 3 1/2 years to get called down to begin processing , and another 2 months to complete processing , and that's with having passed my drug/background/medical tests with no holds. Again , I wish everyone luck , hope everyone who wants the job gets it , and is very very succesful. But you will be waiting for a while , and there is no way around that. The good news is for those who do get a list# in the top 1000 and have no disqualifying conditions , you will most likely get hired and have a pretty good career ahead of you. And as I've said before , anybody need any advice / have any questions , you can post them here or send me a direct message and I will answer your questions as best as I can.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 32,924 times
Thank you MotormanMike

Old 08-21-2009, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 31,454 times
I took the conductor's test and got 4 wrong initially but just got my results and my official score was bumped up to a 96 but my list number is 2168. Now with the T/O for now it looks like I got 6 wrong so that will probably be around 92 unless hopefully that score gets bumped up some.
What I want to know is it will probably be a couple years for either one and if I can get the T/O I would rather do that but I would be happy in either one. What do you think the list number would be around for the T/O? It would probably be more than the O/C right? On top of that with those scores it is most likely that I won't get called for T/O at all before this list expires. Also if I were to get in on O/C in order to move up in a few years I would need to take the T/O promotional still or would they see this one? At least at that point since this test was harder and I went into both tests blind after working for a while I know I would get a good score then.
My other question was are the steps after getting the O/C list number the same as T/O or are they different?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 AM

^^ Don't waste your time worrying about list numbers, or which list will move faster. It all comes down to MTA's need for people in the particular title. There's really no way to tell which call-up you'd be likelier to get first.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 13,511 times
i also took the 8094 conductor test and i don't think i have a chance of being called since so many people took the test and i only scored 81.333 i need a miracle to happen

Old 08-22-2009, 05:25 PM

11 posts, read 55,082 times
I took the 8094 test as well. I have a question for motormanmike or anyone else. How much on average would a conductor,operator(train and tower) make after top pay with average OT per year?
Thanks in advance...

Old 08-22-2009, 05:26 PM

11 posts, read 55,082 times
PS: i scored 98.6, list number in 570's

Old 08-23-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHundoe View Post
I took the 8094 test as well. I have a question for motormanmike or anyone else. How much on average would a conductor,operator(train and tower) make after top pay with average OT per year?
Thanks in advance...
I can answer that for the conductors! With an average amount of OT, you could make $55,000. Maybe even closer to $60,000. And I speak from experience. Train operators make $2.80 an hour more than conductors, so you can peform the necessary estimations.

By the way, conductors have the option of working as flaggers, rather than on the trains. The work is more dangerous, true, but also comes with an extra $2/hour bonus.

Just for the record, I should mention that we have a system of picking jobs, which happens twice a year. It's kind of like the NFL draft. When you get hired, you receive a 'file number.' Comes time to pick, we start with file number 1, proceeding through until all available jobs are taken. If you're far enough down so that you can't pick anything, you become an "Extra," meaning that the Crew Assignment Office will give you a different job each day. We also pick days off--so you shouldn't expect to have weekends for a while, because that's very definitely a senior choice. (I'll tell you a secret: having midweek days off isn't bad, at all!)

Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 13,410 times
I jus received mi score from the condutor exam(88) like to know how long it will be bifore i recieve a caal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City