Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

47 posts, read 23,651 times

Advertisements

Any legal issue with that where I'm setting a bad precedent?

To clarify each person wants to pay me separately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

9,301 posts, read 14,919,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylecooper View Post

In the lease, just make the other 100% responsible for the entire rent if one leaves or doesn't pay.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

5,692 posts, read 2,620,990 times
Years ago, I lived with a roommate, managements said we could send 2 check for the total amount every month but they would prefer one check. After a few months they really wanted just one. So, my roommate gave me a check a few days before rent was due for their amount and I sent the full rent check.
It's really up to management/landlord. Sounds like you are the landlord, so it's up to you.

Old Today, 05:45 AM

31,931 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylecooper View Post

Boilerplate lease language states tenants both "jointly" and "severally" are liable for paying rent, damages, etc...

Most LLs don't accept separate payments for rent divided up into portions for very sound reasons.

If "Y" and "X" pay their rent with separate checks but "Y's" check bounces; what are you going to do then? You've created a situation where "X" can say he/she paid their portion of rent so you'll have to after "Y" for his/her half.

If next month rolls around and again "X" pays his/her half share of rent but "Y" has not, nor for that matter made good bounced check. Now you've got an accounting and legal nightmare on your hands.

What you going to do? Haul both "Y" and "X" into court for non-payment? X will say he/she paid their portion of rent, and you cashed those checks. What's more by accepting or creating situation a clever dick attorney will make out that you as LL created and accepted situation of not holding both or either tenant responsible for full payment of rent.

Old Today, 05:48 AM

1,472 posts, read 762,949 times
If they are an actual couple and not just roommates seems like a reg flag to start.

Old Today, 05:54 AM

31,931 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
If they are an actual couple and not just roommates seems like a reg flag to start.
Not really, plenty of young or even not so couples don't want to marry for host of reasons. This goes for straight and gay people. Besides, we're talking about renting an apartment here, not buying a house. Renting by nature usually is a temporary arrangement for many.

Shacking up has become far more common and accepted by straight couples and not all gays want to marry.

Just being "partners" means less fuss when things don't work out. Legal marriage OTOH can be messy and a PITA to terminate.

Old Today, 06:13 AM

16,113 posts, read 6,868,553 times
Opinion:

Every poster brings up a great point.
Sadly..
NYC laws favor tenants.
Be careful as a Landlord.
I was a N.Y.C. LL for decades.
Never again.

If a boyfriend /girlfriend wants to rent.
Only one name on lease. Accept only one check.
It is easier to go after one person for payment than two.
It is easier to evict a lessee and a friend than two " purported lessee's ".
How the renters put the money together is their problem.

Old Today, 06:52 AM

1,944 posts, read 923,471 times
They can work that out amongst themselves; they shouldn't involve you.

Old Today, 08:13 AM

1,472 posts, read 762,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not really, plenty of young or even not so couples don't want to marry for host of reasons. This goes for straight and gay people. Besides, we're talking about renting an apartment here, not buying a house. Renting by nature usually is a temporary arrangement for many.

Shacking up has become far more common and accepted by straight couples and not all gays want to marry.

Just being "partners" means less fuss when things don't work out. Legal marriage OTOH can be messy and a PITA to terminate.
I don’t think there’s much faith in this relationship long term when this is asked. 6 months there could be some issues would be my guess.

Old Today, 05:58 PM

2,683 posts, read 1,194,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

Every poster brings up a great point.
Sadly..
NYC laws favor tenants.
Be careful as a Landlord.
I was a N.Y.C. LL for decades.
Never again.

If a boyfriend /girlfriend wants to rent.
Only one name on lease. Accept only one check.
It is easier to go after one person for payment than two.
It is easier to evict a lessee and a friend than two " purported lessee's ".
How the renters put the money together is their problem.
But the one that is not on the lease could end up staying and not pay until you file to get that one out. Without their name on the lease you now have a non tenant living there for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City