Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2024, 09:33 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,034,242 times

Advertisements

I swear I must be taking crazy pills after I read this story several times slowly. The main squatter perp was sentenced to only 6 months in jail for arson. The other squatters continue to live in the back yard of the burnt out property.

The group of squatters, according to locals, moved into the Dyker Heights neighborhood throughout the summer and made themselves known by robbing neighboring homes of security cameras and other items, as well as by posing a direct threat to them.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/squatters...-officials-say

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sq...rs/ar-BB1l9oV2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 462 times
White liberals did, they are the worst virus this country has. City-Data is going to ban my account and delete this post, but I don't care, I will make another one. White liberals are cancer, they don't care about anything or anyone in this city except their own power and their feel good virtue signaling while living in their Manhattan penthouse. They love it when minorities and whites fight each other so they can keep control and laugh in the background, while using minorities as their foot soldier against the evil "White Conservative Racists". Wake up, I don't care if you are White or a Minorities, these liberal progressives have been using us as tools to fight their own war and we need to be wise up to this fact.

Old 04-18-2024, 10:08 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,034,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedditPowerMod View Post
White liberals did, they are the worst virus this country has. City-Data is going to ban my account and delete this post, but I don't care, I will make another one. White liberals are cancer, they don't care about anything or anyone in this city except their own power and their feel good virtue signaling while living in their Manhattan penthouse. They love it when minorities and whites fight each other so they can keep control and laugh in the background, while using minorities as their foot soldier against the evil "White Conservative Racists". Wake up, I don't care if you are White or a Minorities, these liberal progressives have been using us as tools to fight their own war and we need to be wise up to this fact.
Arson should carry a higher sentence than 6 months. The reason is that a fire can quickly become uncontrollable once it grows to a certain size and pose a grave threat to the neighbors. And the photos in the news story show the house was totaled. I guess I am not surprised in a city where DAs only charge deranged lunatics who push people onto the subway tracks with a desk ticket and maybe an assault charge w/no bail.

Old 04-20-2024, 02:54 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times
I wonder why we have squatters rights in the first place? When did that even take lace, and I for one, did not vote on that.

There should be no such things as squatters rights, squatters should not have rights and don't deserve rights.
If they break into a house, that's a criminal act in itself, and they should be arrested and jailed.

Is our city completely insane for instilling something as asinine as squatters rights?
and we need to get rid of squatters rights once and for all.

Squatters don't deserve rights, what part of this doesn't our elected officials understand.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:01 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,685,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I wonder why we have squatters rights in the first place? When did that even take lace, and I for one, did not vote on that.

There should be no such things as squatters rights, squatters should not have rights and don't deserve rights.
If they break into a house, that's a criminal act in itself, and they should be arrested and jailed.

Is our city completely insane for instilling something as asinine as squatters rights?
and we need to get rid of squatters rights once and for all.

Squatters don't deserve rights, what part of this doesn't our elected officials understand.
It's not squatter's rights. It's simply the government's laziness and ineptness. Why do we have to clean the sidewalks in front of our house when it belongs to the public? You can't kick people out from the front of your sidewalk yet you are responsible with cleaning it for the government.

The reason these squatter rights exist because there are people that say are handicapped or just return from prison and have no where else to go and the government can't put them anywhere. If they find somewhere to stay without any kind of intrusion then they are given refuge rights. The problem is that there are no laws that sets a limit to backfill on an exploitable law that gives people refuge rights on any property over a short duration.

If you go on vacation for a month and someone broke in and stayed there for a month. The cops assume you allowed them to stay. Even though they never needed your permission.

Enjoy this banana republic.

Old Today, 09:28 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,004,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It's not squatter's rights. It's simply the government's laziness and ineptness. Why do we have to clean the sidewalks in front of our house when it belongs to the public? You can't kick people out from the front of your sidewalk yet you are responsible with cleaning it for the government.

The reason these squatter rights exist because there are people that say are handicapped or just return from prison and have no where else to go and the government can't put them anywhere. If they find somewhere to stay without any kind of intrusion then they are given refuge rights. The problem is that there are no laws that sets a limit to backfill on an exploitable law that gives people refuge rights on any property over a short duration.

If you go on vacation for a month and someone broke in and stayed there for a month. The cops assume you allowed them to stay. Even though they never needed your permission.

Enjoy this banana republic.

Yeah. It's not squatter's rights. It's tenant rights that are overly broad.
Why would the squatter's need a month? Show up when the homeowner is at the grocery store, take over a room with some belongings, family photos, and a fake lease. You're a 'tenant' that's been there for a long time. Prove otherwise when you get your court case in 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City