Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2024, 12:32 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

Twice in the last week I have been approached at my home by men driving pickup trucks offering masonry and roofing services and they won't take no for an answer. I have to believe they are scammers by their aggressive approach and refusal to leave after telling them ten times that I am not interested and to please leave. Today I was vacuuming my car and a truck pulled up out of nowhere telling me my chimney is about to collapse. He apparently made that determination from a few seconds look from the street. I had a similar sales call about a week ago from a company with a different name who rang my doorbell although that guy didn't mention my chimney. Both of these companies have websites but no reviews on google or yelp and there are no results by googling their phone numbers. One thing both of these companies have in common is the men are Irish who seem to be recent arrivals in this country. They must be running some kind of scam and find enough suckers who will hire them. I will ask my furnace guy during the next tuneup to look at the chimney from outside just to be sure but I doubt he will see anything wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 12:53 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Twice in the last week I have been approached at my home by men driving pickup trucks offering masonry and roofing services and they won't take no for an answer. I have to believe they are scammers by their aggressive approach and refusal to leave after telling them ten times that I am not interested and to please leave. Today I was vacuuming my car and a truck pulled up out of nowhere telling me my chimney is about to collapse. He apparently made that determination from a few seconds look from the street. I had a similar sales call about a week ago from a company with a different name who rang my doorbell although that guy didn't mention my chimney. Both of these companies have websites but no reviews on google or yelp and there are no results by googling their phone numbers. One thing both of these companies have in common is the men are Irish who seem to be recent arrivals in this country. They must be running some kind of scam and find enough suckers who will hire them. I will ask my furnace guy during the next tuneup to look at the chimney from outside just to be sure but I doubt he will see anything wrong.

Sacmmers of course, but Irish??? What neighborhood do you live in??

Old 04-15-2024, 01:01 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Possibly Irish Travellers.

https://www.nbcboston.com/investigat...cheme/3220022/

Old 04-15-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Sacmmers of course, but Irish??? What neighborhood do you live in??
Eastern Queens in Glen Oaks/Floral Park.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Good find. I never see Irish contractors in my neighborhood and to get two of them in a week is suspicious. I looked at the glossy cards they left and neither says "licensed and insured" or have a license number on them. The two guys today were driving a pickup with New Jersey license plates. The pickup trucks are new and have their alleged company's name professionally written on the sides. The trucks look like they are straight out of the showroom and haven't seen a bit of work. Trucks of real contractors look like they have been used in construction.

Thanks for the tip about Irish Travellers!

Old 04-15-2024, 02:23 PM

1,056 posts, read 541,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Wow! Very interesting. I don't have a house so won't be scammed but hope people are on high alert

Old 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
I believe They go on your roof damage stuff and try and get money to repair.

Old 04-15-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I believe They go on your roof damage stuff and try and get money to repair.
They might not even have to do that. If they get a gullible homeowner they can just say there's damage. The guy today told me my chimney was about to collapse without even looking at it and wouldn't take no for an answer. It's intimidating when two guys approach you in a truck and refuse to leave despite multiple requests to leave. I must have said no thanks, I'm not interested, and please leave me alone at least ten times. If someone else tries this scam I will tell them politely I'm not interested and if they persist I will say I'm calling 911.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:24 PM

107 posts, read 46,839 times
I've seen those trucks You describe in Manhattan. !00% gypsies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: