Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 07:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

I recently took a train trip. No one warned me about old Penn Station, where Amtrak customers are forced to spend the night sitting up on hard, armless chairs trying to avoid all the hazards. Eeeeek!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 10:28 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I recently took a train trip. No one warned me about old Penn Station, where Amtrak customers are forced to spend the night sitting up on hard, armless chairs trying to avoid all the hazards. Eeeeek!!
What the heck were you doing lurking around there at night! I should talk. I was there at 11 last night myself. Only one junkie asked me for money.

Penn Station, as you might or might not have noticed, is in the process of being revamped, but in sections. Still aways to go. But that's only upstairs. Down on the track level, I always keep an eye out for an escape route. With those crappy narrow staircases, if a bomb ever goes off or there's even a major fire, we will all be trapped like rats. Except the actual rats have a better chance of survival.

Then there are those 1910 tunnels...but new ones are on their way. Just hope the old ones hold up til then, hehehe.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:44 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
One reply, LOL...

Guess this isn't shocking to anyone -- but me???

FLEAS, too; I got a few bites!

Old 04-16-2024, 07:53 PM

5,112 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
One reply, LOL...

Rats are native...fleas? not so sure. hope you didn't bring them to NYC...

Old 04-16-2024, 10:30 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
One reply, LOL...

Those were probably bed bugs. They're all over the subways.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:36 AM

Quote:
One reply, LOL...

Now fleas are not something I've encountered in Penn!

But, no, the rest of it is not shocking, particularly to those of us who worked in public transportation all our lives.

When I worked at the original WTC, my friend's husband, who works nights in maintenance there, told us not to sit or lean on the big concrete planters that were near the West St entrance because they put rat poison in them.

A lesser known 9/11 story is that the night of the attacks, the area around the Exchange Place PATH station in Jersey City, the first stop on NJ side of the river, was closed off because of the rats fleeing the WTC fires through the tunnel and coming up into the surrounding streets.

Rats are not native to our continent. They came here from Asia on ships.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-17-2024 at 05:45 AM..

Old 04-17-2024, 11:01 PM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I grew up on LI, and used to go through Penn a lot. If you think it's bad now, you should have seen it in the early 80's. This was before they built the 34th Street entrance and put air conditioning in on the main LIRR concourse. I had a summer job in college right by Penn and commuted. It was really bad.

I often had to go from Penn to the East 50's. This meant using the concourse extension to the 8th Ave Subway (E). This was a full blown homeless colony. The homeless lined the tunnel on either side all the way to the subway platform.

I don't go to LI much anymore, so I have no reason to go through Penn. But by the time I stopped, it had gotten much better then when I started. But most people thought in that shape it was terrible.

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I grew up on LI, and used to go through Penn a lot. If you think it's bad now, you should have seen it in the early 80's. This was before they built the 34th Street entrance and put air conditioning in on the main LIRR concourse. I had a summer job in college right by Penn and commuted. It was really bad.

I often had to go from Penn to the East 50's. This meant using the concourse extension to the 8th Ave Subway (E). This was a full blown homeless colony. The homeless lined the tunnel on either side all the way to the subway platform.

I don't go to LI much anymore, so I have no reason to go through Penn. But by the time I stopped, it had gotten much better then when I started. But most people thought in that shape it was terrible.
Lol, I get torched a lot on here for bringing up how things were back in the day. It's a cakewalk now compared to back then.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol, I get torched a lot on here for bringing up how things were back in the day. It's a cakewalk now compared to back then.
Same with the PABT in the early 80s. I worked there. It was wild. People complain now, but it was worse.

But, the city is getting a new one.

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

Yeah. It was horrible. Going to the ladies room was an adventure, walking across this long hallway and being accosted by 20 homeless women blocking you (or trying to) demanding money. They got nothing from me. Being a pedestrian and navigating city streets for more than 20+ years, I know how to weave around anything all the while with a mega stink face on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: