Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2024, 05:09 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,213,322 times

Advertisements

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ikers/5252525/

Quote:
The man known as one of New York City's "most notoriously negligent landlords" was briefly hospitalized following an attack at Rikers Island.

Daniel Ohebshalom turned himself in to police on Thursday after allegedly failing to perform hundreds of court-ordered repairs on some Manhattan properties he owns. He was taken to Rikers where he's expected to serve up to 60 days.

A source close to Ohebshalom said the landlord may have broken facial bones Friday afternoon after being punched in the face by another person in custody. The assault occurred at the intake area of the Eric M. Taylor Center around 12:15 p.m., a spokesperson for the Department of Correction said.

Ohebshalom's injuries were said to be non-life threatening, and he was taken back to Rikers late Friday.
​
Sources don't believe Ohebshalom was targeted because the assailant threatened a number of other people in custody as well.

In a rare move last week, following years of trying to levy fines against the landlord of a Washington Heights building and making emergency fixes, the city issued an arrest warrant against a man they say is a slumlord.

In the two buildings along West 170th Street, the city alleges that Daniel Ohebshalom and his company, Belmont Ventures LLC, have racked up 700 serious violations affecting health and safety of those who live there. As a result, Housing Preservations and Development (HPD) Commissioner Adolfo Carrion Jr. stepped up action and issued a warrant.

We caught up with him. He’s facing $3 million in fines and penalties, and he’s going to jail for 60 days," said Carrion.
Lesson: Don't mess with the city's money. THAT is the only crime that enforced in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 07:53 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Opinion:

You aware of this Letitia?

Old 03-26-2024, 09:18 AM

1,142 posts, read 858,690 times
EVERY low life and greedy Landlord deserves that!

Old 03-26-2024, 09:56 AM

8,372 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
EVERY low life and greedy Landlord deserves that!
What is your definition of "greedy" - just renting out a property for a fair market price? If renters think owning and maintaining a property is so simple and financially painless that the property should not be rented for a fair market price, why don't they simply buy a property themselves, rather than rent it? Your attitude is why I will never rent my condo out again - one less housing unit available in NYC.

This guy might have been extremely negligent about his properties (I don't know any details of what he did or didn't do), but NYC housing law considers not painting a property every two years an illegally poor maintenance (that regulation, about having to paint a rental apartment every two years, is rarely enforced, but it actually exists). My own home, which I own and where I live, was most recently painted 15.5 years ago, and it will not be painted any time soon since it looks perfectly fine as it is - but if I were still a landlord, I would have to paint the rental apartment, for their excellencies the supremely entitled tenants, every 2 years!

Old 03-26-2024, 10:35 AM

2,439 posts, read 1,216,282 times
Fake news. NYCHA is the biggest slumlord.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:36 AM

155 posts, read 121,001 times
How does this happen at the intake center?

It seems like various facilities have different levels of security, ranging from minimum to maximum. Perhaps all facilities need to be maximum? But what do I know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: