Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 10:43 PM

31,932 posts, read 27,038,172 times

Advertisements

Island was effed back in 1964 when VZNB was opened. It's been a slow decline ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9pxTW7k11I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RuCdvnZtlQ

The 1970's through 1980's weren't so bad, but never the less long time Islanders saw changes and smarter ones packed up and moved. At first it was NJ, now it's NC, Florida, anyplace but the Island.

Despite so called "downsizing" during Bloomberg's administration it's same old from city; developers shove townhouse after townhouse development on lots once holding single family homes or zoned for same. Worse many of these townhouses are two families to a building, so you've got four or more households on a lot that once was maybe two single family homes.

Areas of SI that once were stable middle or working class areas have gone down the toilet. This includes much of St. George, New Brighton, West Brighton, Port Richmond, Mariner's Harbor, Bull's Head and more. In fact every decade the rot climbs further south hitting areas just off the SIE. Areas along or south of Victory Blvd from Stapleton to Willowbrook and beyond are becoming congested with high density housing.

Main E to W roads (Richmond Terrace, Victory Blvd, Castleton avenue, Henderson avenue, Forest avenue, Hylan blvd.. were laid out centuries ago and never meant to handle huge volumes of motor traffic you see today. Ditto for main E to W roads; Clove road, Bay street, Cebra avenue, Clove Road, Manor Road, Richmond avenue...

Topography of SI is one of many hills (ok, some might be considered mountains..) some are very steep. That and or roads twist and curve which one or both of previous means traffic must (or should) slow down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 11:37 PM

34,105 posts, read 47,338,050 times
What do you guys think of light rail on Staten Island? Do you think it would help ease congestion?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-19-2024, 11:48 PM

31,932 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What do you guys think of light rail on Staten Island? Do you think it would help ease congestion?
No, because it won't go anywhere near where congestion is an issue.

What has been proposed is reactivating portions of old SIRR that once ran along North Shore. That may be very well if one lives say below Henderson, Castleton avenue or maybe Forest avenues, but otherwise not.

Proposed light rail from West Shore to Bayonne Bridge over to NJ seems more attractive, but still overall buses win over trains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staten_Island_light_rail

In common with many other suburbs people on SI love and are used to driving. It would take much to get them to change their habits.

Yes, some take SIRR from South Shore stops to ferry and back as part of their daily commute or whatever, but still.

In order for light rail to make any huge inroads towards traffic congestion on SI it would have to run into rich heartland of the Island. That would be difficult since many streets have some very steep hills.

Option would be along or along side SIE (which runs in many parts through a valley, which is why it is where it is), but that again would be difficult. Service roads (North and South Gannon avenues) aren't wide enough to support both light rail and motor vehicles. City already has carved up parts of Hylan avenue for a bike lane, so that's that.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:48 AM

16,117 posts, read 6,873,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I wish secession had been successful.
You may be right.
The only thing that stunk back in the day was the dumps.

I have worked back in the 80's. Reminded me of Queens back in the 60's.
Nice. Quiet. No congestion.

Currently traveling thru Staten Island in search of new digs.
The traffic is my biggest nuisance M-F 9-5 .

I find no problem navigating when folks stay home.
It is still beautiful in many ways X 150,000 more people
sprinkled all around not including " new comers "
Visited Home Depot . 40+ looking for day work. Sad.

Staten Island now in parity with Queens...........no longer tell the difference.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:57 AM

19,060 posts, read 13,989,020 times
You guys have described the Island perfectly.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-20-2024, 07:42 AM

So the main issues I heard with Staten Island is overcrowding and being overbuilt

Are there any particular areas of Staten where this is an obviously glaring issue? I don't know the borough that well aside from St. George, and the borough's main streets (for example, I've never been south of the Expressway). I would like to check out examples on Google Street Views.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:47 PM

433 posts, read 552,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So the main issues I heard with Staten Island is overcrowding and being overbuilt

Are there any particular areas of Staten where this is an obviously glaring issue? I don't know the borough that well aside from St. George, and the borough's main streets (for example, I've never been south of the Expressway). I would like to check out examples on Google Street Views.
Hylan Blvd from Seaver Avenue to New Dorp Lane during afternoon rush hour.

Rockland Avenue during the same time frame.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
Hylan Blvd from Seaver Avenue to New Dorp Lane during afternoon rush hour.

Rockland Avenue during the same time frame.
Thank you, I'll check it out

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: