Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 07:22 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,693,874 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen the preliminary teaser pilot of "Elsbeth," a spin-off from Good Wife/Good Fight?

I mention it because it gave the impression of a television show that showcases NYC in a way we don't often see.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/elsbeth/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 08:02 AM

1,572 posts, read 912,441 times
I'll still be waiting for an inner-city cop show with ANY minority cast as a criminal. Come on, give me a Filipino or at least a Chinese! All we get is these ones, including East New York (ENY ffs!) where the criminals were all pasty white guys and the heroic cops are all noble black women. Do we dare not show reality on TV?

Old 03-06-2024, 08:36 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,722,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
I'll still be waiting for an inner-city cop show with ANY minority cast as a criminal. Come on, give me a Filipino or at least a Chinese! All we get is these ones, including East New York (ENY ffs!) where the criminals were all pasty white guys and the heroic cops are all noble black women. Do we dare not show reality on TV?
Ah, the days of NYPDBlue.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:19 PM

379 posts, read 518,090 times
Quote:
I've been gone awhile so, when did ENY gentrify into being a white neighborhood again??? That show must have been taking place in the early 1960s.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't want any more cop shows at all, but seems to me that Law & Order has often had black and Hispanic criminals.

Old 03-16-2024, 04:59 AM

19,059 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Quote:
That ship has sailed, especially since they lost twitter. Now TV and movies are their only means of indoctrination.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-16-2024, 07:27 AM

5,695 posts, read 2,623,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, I don't want any more cop shows at all, but seems to me that Law & Order has often had black and Hispanic criminals.
Then don't watch them. Those type of shows come to NYC to film because they need the real city feel. Can't do it right on a sound stage in LA or Canada. More productions =more jobs=more money for the city=all good things.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:00 AM

1,572 posts, read 912,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDealsLynn View Post
Agree on needing diverse portrayals. Law & Order isn't perfect, but it has featured minority criminals too. Hoping "Elsbeth" focuses on the human stories behind the crimes.
Law and Order would have a black kid who committed a crime but it was always "Oh, he's a poor misunderstood inner-city kid who just needs to be mentored through this unfortunate situation that's not really his fault." (puke emoji, puke emoji).

And the kids mom would feature heavily in the story as the fine, upstanding, wise, devout christian mom who just can't understand how her good boy got into this mess...

meanwhile, most of the criminals are white and the attitude is throw them under the jail and never let them see the light of day again.

I remember the first few seasons of Hill Street Blues which portrayed a ghetto precinct accurately. There was one episode when a group of young black men actually raped and murdered 3 elderly nuns (!) They had the perps being questioned in the precinct and they were all sweaty from withdrawing off whatever drugs they were on. There was NO underlying sympathy for them.

I think Jesse Jackson or somebody got to them though because suddenly Hill Street Blues was on the black-people-can-do-no-wrong bandwagon and the show began to suck and then went off the air.

Old 03-24-2024, 07:41 PM

I could be wrong, but I somehow get the sense that the replies are all from men showing no interest whatsoever in a show with a women lead.

Old 03-24-2024, 07:55 PM

19,059 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Of course you do. It’s your leftism talking.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: