Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2023, 12:58 PM

149 posts, read 99,968 times

Advertisements

I would like to know your experience with which case type would be best for the tenants below in nyc

tenant #1 - legal unit - month to month - owes 5k

tenant #2 - not legal basement unit - month to month - owes 10k

any major difference between the two case types in terms of timeline? i just want them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 02:34 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyaxe View Post
I would like to know your experience with which case type would be best for the tenants below in nyc

any major difference between the two case types in terms of timeline? i just want them out.
Contracts for illegal (and or illicit purposes) are not enforceable. Thus you cannot collect back rent from a non-paying tenant living in an illegal unit.

https://dolgettalaw.com/pdf/2013-02-...apartments.pdf

https://www.landlordguidance.com/evi...york-eviction/

Generally housing court cases for non-payment move faster than hold over proceedings. Latter requires a trial while former is pretty straight forward. Yes, a tenant can raise defences (does not owe rent, unit requires repairs, etc...), but a LL who has prepared a strong case with is or her ducks in a row can have easier time. With holdover cases there is always possibility judge will allow tenant to "cure" whatever caused LL to bring case and remain in unit.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:55 PM

thanks - i dont care about getting the rent due, just want them out

Old 12-10-2023, 02:37 PM

427 posts, read 154,678 times
Quote:
thanks - i dont care about getting the rent due, just want them out
The solution is in your username.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
The solution is in your username.
yeah they dont even want payout lol

Old 12-13-2023, 09:41 AM

1,146 posts, read 859,868 times
Issue a 30 Days To Vacate Notice on Jan 1 to the illegal basement tenant. Since you are not seeking backpay (and cannot legally get it from them), state that you plan on using the space for your own personal use and that under NYC law, you can no longer rent the basement out. If tenant doesn't leave in 30 days, then file for a court ordered eviction. You could also file a police report at that point that you have a squatter trespassing in your basement.

For the tenant who is staying there legally, but owes money. First, issue a Pay In Full or Quit Notice. Give them 30 days to pay in full or Vacate. Unfortunately, IF you even choose to collect partial payment from them afterwards, then you'll have to start the process all over again since courts see that partial payment collections indicate you are "working out a deal with tenant". If they pay in full, you'll have to give them a separate 30 Days To Vacate Notice for a good cause eviction such as you wish to use the space for your personal needs. Either way, if they don't leave, then you need to get a court ordered eviction. I am not a lawyer, but read in several forums that this is how you remove tenants that you don't want anymore. The process is a lot harder for larger apartment buildings. But, you have a lot more leeway as a smaller home owner.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:

Tenant 1 you need to do a non-payment. Holdover cases are particulary reserved for when you want possession of the apartment as well as back rent. However the tenant needs to be violating their lease in some manner aside from paying rent to have a holdover case put on them. There's a process with holdover cases and typically you have to start with a 15 day Notice to Cure for whatever nuisance the tenant is causing. There's holdovers that are more "automatic," like drug holdovers, where the tenant is selling drugs from the apartment. There's several different types of holdover cases. Most likely Tenant 1 will be put on a stip and the Court will stay the warrant. If they miss a stip payment, the warrant gets executed and the marshal evicts, I believe thats how non-payments work if I remember correctly.

Tenant 2 needs an ejectment case since the apartment is illegal. You won't get any money back, the tenant gets evicted, and I believe they padlock the apartment until you make arrangements to restore the space to its original legal use.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-13-2023, 09:17 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
6 months to a years.if young kids,even longer,normally.

Use a lawyer,keep moving like all is ok. No hard feelings,its a business.

Maybe an offer of leave apartment NOW! And forgive some/all rent? On contract!

As for the basement, snitch on yourself for a violation? And possibly get sued for moving cost? Very sticky slope

Old 01-20-2024, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 127 times
Hi,I need help.i am getting evicted due to unpaid rent and I am on ssdi.i don’t want to leave my apartment and I am scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City