Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 10:17 AM

5,808 posts, read 2,936,362 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2023/11/05/metro/...-in-us-survey/

Looks like post pandemic recovery is struggling.
Curious what the stats are for tourism and consumer spending in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 12:18 PM

34,075 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post

You still work in Manhattan, right? Go buy some sandwiches for lunch and help out.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-08-2023, 02:41 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Taken from the article:

"Other major cities that recovered most or considerably more foot traffic from the pre-pandemic period compared to the Big Apple include Miami (92%), Nashville (88%), Atlanta (85%), Los Angeles (83%) and San Diego (80%)."

I've been to Los Angeles somewhat recently, last December (2022). The city was in bad shape, and much quieter everywhere I went: downtown was not bustling much as on prior visits; Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills was noticeably quiet after 6pm; and even Hollywood/West Hollywood were much less vibrant than in years before the pandemic. Santa Monica was decent. Venice Beach had a lot of people, but a quarter were homeless.

Nashville's downtown, and Atlanta's, are both very small, compared to NYC.

This article is pretty weak.

Everytime I work out of my midtown office on 32nd and 5th, (like 1-2 times per week), it is bustling everywhere. Even when I leave around 630-7pm.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:52 PM

5,808 posts, read 2,936,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Taken from the article:

"Other major cities that recovered most or considerably more foot traffic from the pre-pandemic period compared to the Big Apple include Miami (92%), Nashville (88%), Atlanta (85%), Los Angeles (83%) and San Diego (80%)."

I've been to Los Angeles somewhat recently, last December (2022). The city was in bad shape, and much quieter everywhere I went: downtown was not bustling much as on prior visits; Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills was noticeably quiet after 6pm; and even Hollywood/West Hollywood were much less vibrant than in years before the pandemic. Santa Monica was decent. Venice Beach had a lot of people, but a quarter were homeless.

Nashville's downtown, and Atlanta's, are both very small, compared to NYC.

This article is pretty weak.

Everytime I work out of my midtown office on 32nd and 5th, (like 1-2 times per week), it is bustling everywhere. Even when I leave around 630-7pm.
I was I. Nashville last week. Broadway was packed and the music scene was glorious.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:51 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
I was in Alabama a few months back. Dang hot. How hot was it?

My phone melted.......and my sneakers stuck to the road ......Hahaha.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:58 PM

3,487 posts, read 1,406,823 times
Quote:

I guess people are still staying home. After all, Covid is still with us.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:26 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
I was I. Nashville last week. Broadway was packed and the music scene was glorious.
Dude I'm from Tennessee originally--born and raised in east TN.

I go to Nashville about once a year. I was there in January of this year, too. Nashville's downtown is absolutely booming, make no mistake about it. It's an incredible city!

And the Broadway strip is like a mini Times Square--shoulder to shoulder people, tons of live entertainment, bars, music, restaurants, tacky shops here and there-and now high end luxury coming in everywhere.

Nashville is booming, but nowhere near the size at all of NYC, and they are apples and oranges.

Tennessee and the south are a refreshing change from New York City--for a while. But then you start to crave the city again.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:15 PM

38 posts, read 20,683 times
I don’t believe it. It’s probably around 80%.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:40 PM

1,292 posts, read 644,647 times
Default Foot traffic still down in NYC

I think many have voted with their feet..

Old 11-09-2023, 08:21 AM

814 posts, read 442,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Dude I'm from Tennessee originally--born and raised in east TN.

I go to Nashville about once a year. I was there in January of this year, too. Nashville's downtown is absolutely booming, make no mistake about it. It's an incredible city!

And the Broadway strip is like a mini Times Square--shoulder to shoulder people, tons of live entertainment, bars, music, restaurants, tacky shops here and there-and now high end luxury coming in everywhere.

Nashville is booming, but nowhere near the size at all of NYC, and they are apples and oranges.

Tennessee and the south are a refreshing change from New York City--for a while. But then you start to crave the city again.
I've lived just outside and working within the city for 59 years. Moved to the South 2 years ago. My family are as happy now as we ever were.

I do understand that we are all different, but my craving will never come back.

I love the slower and much easier lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City