Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 09:38 PM

3,490 posts, read 1,408,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
http://https://www.politico.com/news...srael-00125317

Democratic indeed, but reading this article in details shows that the centrist aisle of the Democratic Party in the city is slowly replacing the progressive one over all the issues we know.

Also the number of GOP council members doubled (from 3 in 2021 to 6 since last Tuesday).

“ Democrats still dominate New York City politics — the big tent party running the gamut from far-left DSA to conservative enough to get the GOP line — but what is perhaps the bluest city in the nation is undergoing a change.”

“ Trump got more votes in his native city in 2020 than in 2016. Zeldin did better than expected in the city in his gubernatorial race last year, making it the closest race for governor in New York since 1994 in a narrow loss to Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul.”

Pataki was elected governor of NY in 1995 and he was Republican. Just shows that a Republican CAN win in NY if he/she is the right candidate. Maybe we're just not getting the right Republican candidates anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 11:27 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Pataki was elected governor of NY in 1995 and he was Republican. Just shows that a Republican CAN win in NY if he/she is the right candidate. Maybe we're just not getting the right Republican candidates anymore.
Lee Zeldin, a republican, almost won last year, winning 47% of the vote (I was proud to vote for him/against Hochul). I'd wager that if so many New Yorkers hadn't up and moved to Florida during the pandemic (we're talking hundreds of thousands who moved over the course of those years . . . I'd wager that most of them weren't Democrats), his chances for victory would have been even greater.

That said, just like Pataki's victory in 1994 and the single digit election of 2022, I'd wager that not only does the right kind of Republican matter, but the right political situation matters as well.

Old 11-14-2023, 04:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 1,408,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Lee Zeldin, a republican, almost won last year, winning 47% of the vote (I was proud to vote for him/against Hochul). I'd wager that if so many New Yorkers hadn't up and moved to Florida during the pandemic (we're talking hundreds of thousands who moved over the course of those years . . . I'd wager that most of them weren't Democrats), his chances for victory would have been even greater.

That said, just like Pataki's victory in 1994 and the single digit election of 2022, I'd wager that not only does the right kind of Republican matter, but the right political situation matters as well.

Yeah, definitely more Republicans moved to Florida because it used to be a swing state, but it is pretty much a solid Republican state now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: