Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 05:13 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,028,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I have a doubt US citizens would be creating "red light districts" left, right and center.

With that said, almost in all Latin American countries prostitution is either legal all the way or tolerated. In this case, they enforce certain rules such as those that prostitute themselves must not have a pimp or work for a company/bar/night club, rather they must be self-employed types. Any enfrigement to this leaves the prostitute untouched while the pimp is arrested and/or the business closed down. The way businesses avoid enfringing on this law is by hiring the ladies strictly to work on premises (usually limited to dancing and accompanying the client to up sell alcoholic beverages they must buy from the bar), but anything else is between them and the client (including the exchange of money with all proceeds going to the prostitute and not a cent to the pimp/business and must be done off the business premise.) In many of these countries there are prostitute unions that function like any other "normal" union and interest groups that are vigilant on supporting the rights of the prostitute and protecting them from abuse. These unions are taken seriously, though the thought of that could be funny to many Americans.

The underlining premise is that prostitution has existed for thousands of years and it can't be eliminated, so given that it's better (and cheaper) to set guidelines of what is allowed and the government becomes tolerant of that activity or outright support it.

In Spain prostitution is also legal and regulated, but I'm not sure if the widespread tolerance in Latin America is a Spanish influence or simply coincidence. In places in Spain near the border with France, where I understand prostitution is illegal, many French people cross into Spain to legally become clients rather than going against the law where they live.

From my understanding, the only place in the USA where prostitution is legal is in Nevada and not in all counties in that state (including the one Las Vegas is in.) I have no idea what the laws are regarding regulating how this activity is allowed to function.

While Americans and New Yorkers may not see this in Queens with good eyes, don't be surprised if many Latin Americans don't see what the fuss is about.

https://www.archives.nyc/blog/2019/8...1970-and-1980s

""In addition to the women who worked the streets, there were an estimated 200 brothels in New York City in 1820.,That grew to more than 600 by the end of the Civil War."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 08:57 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,890,151 times
I was watching Can't Pay We'll Take It Away, a British TV show about their sheriffs, or bailiffs as they're known now, collecting for judgments and evicting people. Several of the episodes showed people getting evicted who were obviously using the houses for prostitution. In this case, many of the prostitutes were Polish or Eastern Europe. It must have been a common thing because one of the bailiffs remarked that it wasn't the first time he'd seen something like that.

Old 11-03-2023, 04:27 AM

5,808 posts, read 2,936,362 times
About time. What else they gonna do? CODE??

Old 11-03-2023, 05:37 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
About time. What else they gonna do? CODE??

Let's see. 10 fingers. 10 instructions. A macro ........................Hmmmmm.

You possibly guessed right!

Old 11-03-2023, 05:41 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
https://www.archives.nyc/blog/2019/8...1970-and-1980s

""In addition to the women who worked the streets, there were an estimated 200 brothels in New York City in 1820.,That grew to more than 600 by the end of the Civil War."
Sounds like a successful business.
Is it better than selling water bottles on a street corner ?
Who knows ?

Old 11-03-2023, 06:02 AM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
I’d say legalize it and collect taxes and fees/permits, would help the city budget.
But, doing that wouldn’t help either because you know, like illegal aliens and stuff.
Cash and carry.

Old 11-03-2023, 03:35 PM

14 posts, read 4,115 times
I wish they all get deported.

Old 11-06-2023, 02:40 PM

8,681 posts, read 11,073,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I’d say legalize it and collect taxes and fees/permits, would help the city budget.
But, doing that wouldn’t help either because you know, like illegal aliens and stuff.
Cash and carry.
whatever govt touches, it is usually a disaster. OTB? Weed? Prohibition?

Old 11-07-2023, 08:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Also Sunset Park on 3rd and (probably) 2nd Aves.
That whole 3rd Av strip is all gentrified! Back in the day, yes! (someone tried to make a "pitch" to me, when I was jogging through there, in the 90s!). But now, that area is "too transformed."

Old 11-08-2023, 12:38 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,211,224 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxN7...IGF2ZW51ZSA%3D

Looks like wearing covid masks is a common practice for the street walkers so that it would be harder to identify them if videos/photos are being taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: