Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 09:29 AM

521 posts, read 991,152 times

Advertisements

OP, what do you mean by low property taxes? 10k? 20k? 30k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 01:27 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampath_89 View Post
I work near Grand Central and have always rented my entire life. My wife is now pregnant and we're trying to think about where to raise our family.

We know that we cant do this in an apartment and need to be in a single family home in a suburb around NYC, with reasonable commute time below 50 minutes. Our budget is around $800k, given current interest rates. We'd also prefer a place with low property taxes (I know its a balance between that and good schooling) but we want to remain within our monthly budget.
Would appreciate any advice.
You might look at West Caldwell NJ. I have a good friend who has lived there for years and loves it. It's just under an hour's drive to Grand Central and convenient to NJ Transit Express bus routes to Port Authority. The schools are in the very good to excellent range with property taxes by area standards fairly low (around 12K-13K per year) https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ll_NJ?view=map

Old 11-03-2023, 09:25 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
What's wrong with renting? I think there's a lot of wrongs right now to buying.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:42 AM

307 posts, read 636,802 times
If you work within walking distance to grand central it opens up the majority of Westchester. There should be a decent amount of options there.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:00 AM

5 posts, read 4,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
You don't have much options if you're not willing to pay insane property taxes. I'd recommend Marlboro in NJ. I've only been there once for my friend's house warming, but I really liked this little town. It also fits your 800k budget. You can get a massive house there for 800k with a big yard.
NJ Transit doesn't go to Grand Central idiot.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 1,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampath_89 View Post
I work near Grand Central and have always rented my entire life. My wife is now pregnant and we're trying to think about where to raise our family.

We know that we cant do this in an apartment and need to be in a single family home in a suburb around NYC, with reasonable commute time below 50 minutes. Our budget is around $800k, given current interest rates. We'd also prefer a place with low property taxes (I know its a balance between that and good schooling) but we want to remain within our monthly budget.
Would appreciate any advice.
So you better be taking the train into Grand Central and not driving. So either you can live in Nassau County, Westchester County, or parts of eastern areas of Queens. They all have LIRR access that go to Grand Central Terminal.

Your taxes will be a lot for Nassau and Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City