Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 01:37 PM

313 posts, read 212,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There is no true NYC accent. What you perceive to be an NYC accent was romanticized by TV and movies. Most people here don't sound like the Honeymooners. You gotta go to the more insular neighborhoods of NYC or the suburbs to hear that in 2023.

A better example for you would be Boston, go check out some YouTube videos with Boston accents
I disagree. There is a NY accent but it's not like the one on TV, mostly spoken by older white New Yorkers.

If we're talking about today younger generation native New Yorkers. They still have a strong NY accent. Look at the late rapper Pop Smoke, he had a very strong NY accent and is from deep in Canarsie.

I can give more examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 04:20 PM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowm3 View Post
That is what I mean. Like, all races in NYC share a similar accent despite being from different areas of the city, and i'm wondering why despite NYC's segregation in the past were they able to pick up on this accent, as opposed to my city where people sound totally different despite living in the same city.

I guess the reasoning is that NYC was way less segregated than thought.
You keep saying segregation, and that is a very polarizing word. I've been in NYC for 45 years before moving to the south. I never felt it was segregated, unless you are using the word in a different sense other than meaning in a past racist sense.

Recently while working in NC, I was approached by a Jamaican iron worker. He came right up to me and said "Hey, good to meet you", just out of the blue. All good, and I shook his hand and said the same. Then he said that he was glad to see a NYer because of the still persistent racism down here. He had worked in the south his whole life and said NYers are amongst the nicest people with the least bit of racism he has known. That really caught me off guard, I guess I was a bit naive.

That's why maybe I take a bit of an issue with saying NY segregation. 40 some years and not seeing it, then being confirmed down here, gives me the sense that we are more of a family in NY than other areas. But construction has always been a melting pot. I love my career.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:51 PM

34,016 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
I disagree. There is a NY accent but it's not like the one on TV, mostly spoken by older white New Yorkers.

If we're talking about today younger generation native New Yorkers. They still have a strong NY accent. Look at the late rapper Pop Smoke, he had a very strong NY accent and is from deep in Canarsie.

I can give more examples.
Sure, give some more examples and this way we can see if they all sound the same

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-12-2023, 06:02 PM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
I live in the Rochester region. Just order coffee and we can tell

Old 10-12-2023, 06:48 PM

50 posts, read 27,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
You keep saying segregation, and that is a very polarizing word. I've been in NYC for 45 years before moving to the south. I never felt it was segregated, unless you are using the word in a different sense other than meaning in a past racist sense.

Recently while working in NC, I was approached by a Jamaican iron worker. He came right up to me and said "Hey, good to meet you", just out of the blue. All good, and I shook his hand and said the same. Then he said that he was glad to see a NYer because of the still persistent racism down here. He had worked in the south his whole life and said NYers are amongst the nicest people with the least bit of racism he has known. That really caught me off guard, I guess I was a bit naive.

That's why maybe I take a bit of an issue with saying NY segregation. 40 some years and not seeing it, then being confirmed down here, gives me the sense that we are more of a family in NY than other areas. But construction has always been a melting pot. I love my career.
Yeah yeah yeah. Nice anecdote. Let’s not act like NYC was some racial utopia where racism didn’t exist. You mean to tell me that if someone that didn’t look a certain way walked into a majority>insert ethnic neighborhood here< that they wouldn’t be treated some type of way? You’re full of **** lol. NYC may have been more of a melting pot than other northern American cities but there was definitely racial animosity present in its “classic” years. People in here reminiscing about the mob when they are a prime example of this.

I use segregation in the sense that people were segregated into their own ethnic neighborhoods.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:25 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post

I've been in the Charlotte area for over a decade: there's less racism here than in NY.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:34 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Water, coffee and dog - those are my tells and I grew up in New Jersey! I moved away from NJ over thirty years ago and when I meet people for the first time they always assume I'm from NY. On the other hand, a brother of mine moved to the south shortly after college and he has a deep southern accent (he's in his sixties.)
Same for me. Ive been in random places and if I say one of those words people will ask me what part of NY I'm from - some have even asked Bronx or Brooklyn.

But I won't as the other poster mentioned for example pronounce Lisa as "Lees-eer"

My accent isn't as pronounced as the accents in the honeymooners but my grandfather's was.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:51 AM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowm3 View Post
Yeah yeah yeah. Nice anecdote. Let’s not act like NYC was some racial utopia where racism didn’t exist. You mean to tell me that if someone that didn’t look a certain way walked into a majority>insert ethnic neighborhood here< that they wouldn’t be treated some type of way? You’re full of **** lol. NYC may have been more of a melting pot than other northern American cities but there was definitely racial animosity present in its “classic” years. People in here reminiscing about the mob when they are a prime example of this.

I use segregation in the sense that people were segregated into their own ethnic neighborhoods.
I'm speaking in my lifetime, and I'm not full of crap. I see what I see and I've lived a good long life with plenty of experience.

Is there/was there racism? Of course. But you talk like you've never been to NY or you wouldn't be so caught up in the accents. You act like there were separate cages for different people without any first hand knowledge. I'm a native NYer for my 50 years on earth, so I have a lifetime of experience there. What about you?

How about lighten up and realize you asked a question and will get different versions of answers. Unless your agenda only allows you to see things in one way. If so, then shame on you.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:30 AM

1,057 posts, read 541,921 times
I didn't read every post in the thread but did anyone mention socio economic groups?

Usually accents have something to do with that because a higher socio economic group means more moving around the country for jobs and education. Working class families are more likely to stay in one place and then their kids stay too so the accent has more of a chance to develop and take hold

https://www.voices.com/blog/new-york-accent/

Old 10-13-2023, 12:28 PM

313 posts, read 212,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Sure, give some more examples and this way we can see if they all sound the same
Never said they sound the same but they are all NY accents. Pop Smoke has a carribbean New York accent just like an Italian American would have a Italian New York accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City