Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2021, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,113 times

Advertisements

I recently got a notice from DOB for an inspection. My son lives in the basement because he is not in college due to covid. For that, I hired someone to renovate the basement for him. Not knowing what it can lead to as I only have the house for 2 years. I got a letter of notice for inspection due to a complaint about construction without a permit. It is the first time I received such notice, I am not sure if it is common to get one. My son and I are really depressed because we are afraid they will take a house away or give a huge fine. The worst is we tear down the renovation.

I am also sad to think that my neighbor did file a complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 11:04 PM

129 posts, read 78,877 times
Do not let them in. They will dissapear. They need a warrant to enter your home. Problem solved

Old 03-09-2021, 01:15 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzl0127 View Post
I recently got a notice from DOB for an inspection. My son lives in the basement because he is not in college due to covid. For that, I hired someone to renovate the basement for him. Not knowing what it can lead to as I only have the house for 2 years. I got a letter of notice for inspection due to a complaint about construction without a permit. It is the first time I received such notice, I am not sure if it is common to get one. My son and I are really depressed because we are afraid they will take a house away or give a huge fine. The worst is we tear down the renovation.

I am also sad to think that my neighbor did file a complaint.
never let them in

there is no law that says you have to, as soon as you let them in you're finished

make sure you tell all your household members not to answer, if they knock at the door go all hide in the closet

Old 03-09-2021, 04:41 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Response: Opinion
The above posters are correct. You are not obligated to allow any person into your home.

Yours situation is a two fold scenario.

1) Someone living in a basement not described by law to be a residence
2) Working without permits.

A gas stove, bedroom, and a full bathroom are red flags. ( half baths I believe are o.k. ? )

Something to think about.
Some companies market quick disconnect showers if needed temporarily
for safety reasons ( chemical spills ) by your son who you could hire as the
on site janitor to your building.

Remove gas stoves. Microwaves,toaster ovens
plugin hotplates are portable and not permanent.

Folding sofas are not full time beds.

As far as working without a permit?
As long as you did not modify the existing structure of the building ( I believe you are O.K. ? )
Throwing up sheet rock is one thing, ripping down or adding walls is another...........

Best wishes.

P.S. People that create misery for others do not have much luck in this world...........

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 03-09-2021 at 04:52 AM..

Old 03-10-2021, 06:46 AM

1,261 posts, read 559,929 times
Be firm but respectful in your refusal of consent to search. Enough to have an inspector move on to his next complaint but not enough to make him remember you and want to find something wrong with exterior and harass about that.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:21 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
I thought relatives were allowed to live in basements of private homes. Too bad your neighbors are rats!

Old 03-10-2021, 12:53 PM

129 posts, read 78,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Be firm but respectful in your refusal of consent to search. Enough to have an inspector move on to his next complaint but not enough to make him remember you and want to find something wrong with exterior and harass about that.
it really saddens me to say this, but this is the proper approach.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:30 AM

3 posts, read 593 times
What was the outcome of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City