Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 06:30 AM

19,071 posts, read 14,002,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Imo, you're house hunting during the worst of times. Patience is key. These interest rates are here to stay so dont worry about missing out on a deal.
Eh it's all relative. I've owned my house for 12 years and have almost always paid extra on the mortgage. I'll be buying high, but selling high as well. We're looking in areas where if all works out, my new mortgage will be a pittance.

We have to get the kids out of this city asap. And my new job reimburses mileage and tolls AND pays the hourly rate while traveling, so driving back here won't effect me financially.

Besides, I need a garage to store ACAB over the winter.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Look into Tennessee. North easter region.
Very affordable homes especially if you dont need schools.

No income tax.
Family Values
Gun friendly.
Great outdoors

Sell your house here and buy one there in cash pretty much, retire much earlier and enjoy life. Enjoy watching NY choke on bag of dicks from far away.

Again, great outdoors. And none of the liberal agenda.
TN was where my ex and I planned to move to. We'd have been there over a year already had we not divorced. We took a few trips down prior to separating.

It's still possible in the future. We get along and she still wants to move there. My wife is willing to go anywhere so who knows? Unfortunately we cannot do it now though.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-29-2020, 06:48 AM

5,714 posts, read 2,631,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Eh it's all relative. I've owned my house for 12 years and have almost always paid extra on the mortgage. I'll be buying high, but selling high as well. We're looking in areas where if all works out, my new mortgage will be a pittance.

We have to get the kids out of this city asap. And my new job reimburses mileage and tolls AND pays the hourly rate while traveling, so driving back here won't effect me financially.

Besides, I need a garage to store ACAB over the winter.
Wait I thought you retired? So you retired from the force but then went out and found another job?

Old 11-29-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Wait I thought you retired? So you retired from the force but then went out and found another job?
I'm 42. Cop pensions are awesome but 20 years from now? Besides I like working. I've worked since I was 14.

My new job takes up 10 hours of my week and pays nearly as much as my wife's full time job.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:56 AM

1,399 posts, read 893,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
That's how the cookie crumbles. Leave public with pension, enter private and make more money. Probably a security consultant. My wife's father did just that. Retired as a detective and went to work for a bank. Add in his usmc pension and hes making a killing with a ged level education.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:35 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,612,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Going by the massive flow of on line packages going through my building's lobby, this idiot is flirting with political suicide.
No such thing, a Republican will never be mayor of NYC again.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:41 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,373,847 times
What would it take for states like NY and NJ to alter the way we are taxed federally? I know that it's been this way for a while but it is a conversation that needs to be revisited because 3 buck tax on top of what we already pay in taxes?

Tbh I kind of get why they are preparing it...we aren't getting federal bucks and need the money from the people who do have jobs but I would like to see what NY would look like with more money in reserves (from lower federal taxes).

I read in a previous conversation why...something about national security but that doesn't mean that it can't change. It's a huge burden for a handful of states to have and then at the end of the day, when it comes time to vote, you have a bunch of states/areas of the US that get more representation in our politics than they should. We need to abolish the electoral college.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:31 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,316,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
What would it take for states like NY and NJ to alter the way we are taxed federally? I know that it's been this way for a while but it is a conversation that needs to be revisited because 3 buck tax on top of what we already pay in taxes?

Tbh I kind of get why they are preparing it...we aren't getting federal bucks and need the money from the people who do have jobs but I would like to see what NY would look like with more money in reserves (from lower federal taxes).

I read in a previous conversation why...something about national security but that doesn't mean that it can't change. It's a huge burden for a handful of states to have and then at the end of the day, when it comes time to vote, you have a bunch of states/areas of the US that get more representation in our politics than they should. We need to abolish the electoral college.
Preparing what? This is a bill. Nothing more. The question is will it gain traction enough to be passed.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:37 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,316,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
No such thing, a Republican will never be mayor of NYC again.
We had Bloomberg who ran as a Republican and served three terms before de Blasio.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:41 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,960,252 times
For me, it's not the $3 fee but rather the principle of paying more money in City/State that has mishandled their finances and are in the red. NYC is probably going to look at some combination of tax increases, service cuts and federal bailout to try to get out of this mess.

For 2021, I am buying an NYC journal which tracks the number of days I spend in the City. My goal is to minimize taxes while I am in town and not trigger residency. I wish New Yorkers well, as their tax burden (whether its through these "fees" or otherwise) will only increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City