Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 01:30 PM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisbutascratch View Post
Thanks, I'm Irish. I don't mind some diversity so long as I wouldn't be a minority.

Midtown East is over 60% Caucasian, and slightly over 15% Asian. Other groups are in single digits each (9% Latino, 5% Black, about 3% or less for any other group/combination).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 01:41 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Midtown East is over 60% Caucasian, and slightly over 15% Asian. Other groups are in single digits each (9% Latino, 5% Black, about 3% or less for any other group/combination).
Response: Opinion

If you got the money ( Midtown East ) ...................

Old 11-08-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

If you got the money ( Midtown East ) ...................

You don't need too much money to live in a 300 sq ft studio in Midtown East. It costs about $300k (down to $250k nowadays) to purchase it, and about $10k per year to maintain it - I assume the rents are at least somewhat correlated with these relatively low prices of purchase and even maintenance. Those are very moderate expenses. But if you have a family, expenses rise exponentially. That is why I suggested to the OP, if he and family are moving to the US for good, to park the family somewhere less expensive where he can go on weekends, and rent/buy a small studio where he can stay during the week while working (by fortunate coincidence, Midtown East where he'll work is also the only place in Manhattan that has a large supply of very small units for single person use). Keeping the family in Long Island, plus a tiny pied a terre near his work in Manhattan, could easily add up to being much more economical than keeping the whole family near his work in Manhattan.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisbutascratch View Post
Hi
I moved to NY from Europe in February 2020 – relocation with my employer. Plan was that I moved over and wife and kids were to follow in the summer. I was planning to commute a little between Europe and NY until they moved over. Europe travel ban was announced shortly after I arrived there so I moved home until covid passes – which we thought would be a few weeks!
So now it looks like it will be early next year at the soonest before I move over. I’m looking for a neighborhood recommendation for me to take an apartment for a short to medium term until the family moves over. I’m looking for a nice safe area, easy/short commute on foot or public transport to midtown. Not looking to pay a fortune on rent.
Any recommendations?

As a person with multiple tiny abodes myself, I am beginning to really see the multiple abodes as the best solution for you & family too :-). How about this:

1. rent something in Midtown East, a tiny studio or even a room in an apartment shared with junior roommates

2. once you are in NYC, research options for renting (or buying if needed long-term) a house for your family. You could probably get the best quality of housing/schools for the money either in outer Long Island or New Jersey (like Ridgewood, NJ - boring but safe, and reasonably priced. I am mentioning it because I used to know someone very Irish - ie, the fourth-generation American, but still very Irish :-) - who grew up there).

3. go hang out with your family on weekends, stay in your rental during the week & talk to them every evening on the phone

Depending on what you can find in the suburbs, I think you might be able to use two different places for 2/3 or less money than renting a large apartment, or buying a large co-op, for your family in Midtown East.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:56 AM

19 posts, read 13,945 times
Thanks very much, I'm liking that idea.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
You don't need too much money to live in a 300 sq ft studio in Midtown East. It costs about $300k (down to $250k nowadays) to purchase it, and about $10k per year to maintain it - I assume the rents are at least somewhat correlated with these relatively low prices of purchase and even maintenance. Those are very moderate expenses. But if you have a family, expenses rise exponentially. That is why I suggested to the OP, if he and family are moving to the US for good, to park the family somewhere less expensive where he can go on weekends, and rent/buy a small studio where he can stay during the week while working (by fortunate coincidence, Midtown East where he'll work is also the only place in Manhattan that has a large supply of very small units for single person use). Keeping the family in Long Island, plus a tiny pied a terre near his work in Manhattan, could easily add up to being much more economical than keeping the whole family near his work in Manhattan.

Space is in the eye of the beholder.

I prefer

Home over Condo
Condo over Coop
Coop over Rental
Rental over closet space.

To each his/her own....either way
Best wishes all........................................

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 11-09-2020 at 04:35 AM..

Old 11-09-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:

Space is in the eye of the beholder.

I prefer

Home over Condo
Condo over Coop
Coop over Rental
Rental over closet space.

To each his/her own....either way
Best wishes all........................................

Well, a single person in NYC absolutely needs only a bed, shower/toilet/sink, a small refrigerator, and a hotplate (all other space you need is supplied by the city - you have access to everything that is in it). I personally need 350 sq ft because I need to store a lot of books and discs, which is doable if all the walls are lined with bookcases (plus condos and coops do not come in a 100 sq ft size). I also prefer a condo to a coop, but the choice is limited in NYC by relative rarity of condos.

The OP, however, additionally needs to house his family, for which 300 sq ft is obviously insufficient. But he can divide their housing into a house in a less expensive suburb + small unit in Midtown, if that is less expensive than a large co-op in Midtown (or a large condo, which may be difficilt to find in Manhattan). The alternative to keeping a small living space near the work would be to commute 2 hours each way, daily, from that house to work - it does not sound as though that is what he wants, to spend 20 hours of his life per week on the commute.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:21 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Sunnyside Queens has a decent Irish community. It has beautiful tree lined streets. If you live in the historic Sunnyside community is there a private park with playground equipment, ball parks, a kiddie pool and tennis courts. It's very family friendly. It's a couple of stops on the No 7 train from Grand Central. Every townhouse has a small backyard too.

Quote:
Sunnyside Gardens is the historic heart of the neighborhood. Inspired by the English Garden City movement, it was built from 1924 to 1928. This collection of brick townhouses surrounding common garden mews takes up approximately 55 acres and 17 city blocks. The homes were designed for working families with the intent to provide fresh air and green space. Designers allocated three acres of the original development to Sunnyside Gardens Community Association, becoming New York City’s largest private park.
https://www.welcomehomerealestate.biz/

https://www.welcomehomerealestate.bi...th-street/8270

Old 11-09-2020, 01:17 PM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
Quote:

I had friends whose parents spoke Gaelic...
I'm giving away my age.....long long ago.
Take a ride around Maspeth's Queens ( Grand avenue vicinities ) high and dry land
if you find Broad Channel and Hamilton Beach (a fisherman's paradise) a bit too wet.
Some parts come complete with the Deepest and most Beautiful Irish Brogues...
These neighborhoods maybe good (along with others you mention) when you do not have to commute to Midtown, or anywhere in the City.
Good luck commuting from Broad Channel, Maspeth or Glendale to Manhattan, it takes a lot of patience and transfers.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
These neighborhoods maybe good (along with others you mention) when you do not have to commute to Midtown, or anywhere in the City.
Good luck commuting from Broad Channel, Maspeth or Glendale to Manhattan, it takes a lot of patience and transfers.

Used to be done in about an hour including transfers.
Express bus service for a few more bucks has changed
commute for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City