Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 02:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,973,821 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1q7dIJIzqg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 02:43 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,155,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I think in the older days (say, at least in the 1940s and 1950s, if not somewhat later as well . . . or so I think), there was a sizable-enough Jewish population living in Inwood. When my parents first got married, their first apartment together was in Inwood. The day I was born in the early 1950s, they were living in Inwood and later moved to the outer boroughs and then to Long Island.

NOTE: Located in Inwood, you will find 2 or 3 blocks worth of single-family detached standlone homes wih the traditional look of a standalone home (i.e, detached standalone homes with a triangular-shaped roof, a front yard, side yards, and a back yard . . . rather than being brownstones or townhouses). It is the only place in Manhattan proper (other than Gracie Mansion, the NYC Mayor's official residence) where you can find such home types.

Below is from a posting I submitted on 12/15/2015 to another C-D.com NYC thread titled "Memories of Inwood (1940's) about this subject:

Do you know that, in Inwood (Manhattan), you can find the ONLY single-family detached homes in all of Manhattan that have the traditional look an layout of traditional single-family detached homes rather than being brownstones or townhouses (i.e., having a triangular- or pyramid-shape type of roof, having a front yard, side yards, and back yard, et al). There is a block or two blocks in Inwood that all or nearly all consists of these traditional-type single-family detached homesj. Certainly, one can find such homes in ALL the surrounding boroughs of New York City outside Manhattan (as well as all the areas outside New York City proper, of course) but to find such homes as these in Manhattan at all is an extreme aberration from the norm and a rarity. Though quite small homes, the fact that such homes even exist at all anywhere in Manhattan is very very standout-ish. They must be worth quite a bit of money (probably over a million each . . . just because they are in Manhattan). What is the old saying?: " Location, location, location!"

I think the referenced houses are in the Park Terrace West & 217th St. vicinity, as well as on Payson Ave., in the Inwood neighborhood of Manhattan. Here are some of the referenced traditional-type single-family detached houses in Inwood (flick through the selection of pictures on Flickr.com by clicking in the arrows):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/2115818512

Like this semi-attached home on W 217 Street with Private Driveway & Garage(!) which Zillow values at $1.59M -
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...31554313_zpid/
I think it's worth the $$$ just for the garage!

Old 09-29-2019, 04:13 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,043,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I remember when mamajuanas opened. That neighborhood used to be a quiet one (it’s west of broadway) but the restaurant has created nothing but trouble for the neighbors. Lots of noise and plenty of hoodrats from the south Bronx and drug dealers from Washington Heights go to mamajuanas. The people who live in that neighborhood are not very happy about it all. 311 noise complaints have gone up exponentially.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:28 PM

This is exactly across the street from mamajuanas: Notice the loud car boom stereo in the background:

https://youtu.be/bD7Zu0QlI5w

Old 09-29-2019, 05:06 PM

34,105 posts, read 47,338,050 times
I saw on Yelp that La Marina is closed

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-29-2019, 05:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,973,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I remember when mamajuanas opened. That neighborhood used to be a quiet one (it’s west of broadway) but the restaurant has created nothing but trouble for the neighbors. Lots of noise and plenty of hoodrats from the south Bronx and drug dealers from Washington Heights go to mamajuanas. The people who live in that neighborhood are not very happy about it all. 311 noise complaints have gone up exponentially.
The density of Manhattan can only allow for so much quiet. That location is commercial. The people who lease it want to make money. If the residential tenants want quiet, they should be the ones to leave. Not fair to handicap the commercial tenant like that.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:47 PM

478 posts, read 774,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I saw on Yelp that La Marina is closed
Actually it's reopened under new management, but their season ends this week (end of Sept). They have to apply for a liquor license, as it was revoked for the address under the previous ownership. New owners vow to keep it a family-friendly place, rather than the kind of place it had been --- I guess it had attracted unsavory types and the like, and had made a lot of bad press and loss of goodwill in the area. I've never been in the establishment, but the spot is ideal...such a scenic spot for Manhattan. Before the GW Bridge, the ferries to NJ docked there.
(info about the restaurant above, was in a recent issue of The Manhattan Times, the weekly paper for upper Manhattan -- long published by Luis Miranda, the dad of the now uber-famous composer/writer of Hamilton and In the Heights).

Old 09-29-2019, 09:21 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,902,326 times
I believe they’re trying to get houses on Park Terrace designated as landmark status

Old 09-30-2019, 07:58 AM

192 posts, read 118,723 times
this is new restaurant at La Marina

https://thehudson.nyc/

Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The density of Manhattan can only allow for so much quiet. That location is commercial. The people who lease it want to make money. If the residential tenants want quiet, they should be the ones to leave. Not fair to handicap the commercial tenant like that.
I understand that, but if noise is not an issue, why is there such thing as dialing 311 for noise complaints and why are these documented?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City