Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 12:02 AM

500 posts, read 2,861,483 times

Advertisements

Hustla,

As reported by Sperling's Best Places (link removed), which issues the anual and famous index of most dangerous and most livable cities in America, "The city of Atlanta has a murder rate 520% higher than the national average". "Atlanta Chief calls his city the most dangerous in nation" (in 2004).

New York City has the lowest crime rate of all the big cities.

But for you, downtown Atlanta and downtown New York (whatever "downtown New York" means in our city- downtown, midtown, uptown?) are about the same and "that is the reality". I don't know what "reality" you see in NYC, but in my years in Manhattan I've never seen a shooting, a robbery, a murder or any form of major or minor crime.

I agree that the low-income-and-minority areas of New York get most of the crime and poverty, but please don't tell me New York is like Atlanta! Nobody and I mean nobody is going to buy into that.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 07:13 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,806,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Hustla,

As reported by Sperling's Best Places (link removed)[/url], which issues the anual and famous index of most dangerous and most livable cities in America, "The city of Atlanta has a murder rate 520% higher than the national average". "Atlanta Chief calls his city the most dangerous in nation" (in 2004).

New York City has the lowest crime rate of all the big cities.

But for you, downtown Atlanta and downtown New York (whatever "downtown New York" means in our city- downtown, midtown, uptown?) are about the same and "that is the reality". I don't know what "reality" you see in NYC, but in my years in Manhattan I've never seen a shooting, a robbery, a murder or any form of major or minor crime.

I agree that the low-income-and-minority areas of New York get most of the crime and poverty, but please don't tell me New York is like Atlanta! Nobody and I mean nobody is going to buy into that.
I have lived in NYC since the 1970's. I grew up in one of the nations worst neighborhoods. I now work in one of the cities highest crime areas. I've been to areas with double the murder rate of Newark NJ. Guess what, no difference. I see no difference between the central ward in Newark and Brownsville Brooklyn. None at all. It's the same bull****, the same high amount of people getting killed over bull**** from drugs to petty disputes. I accually see more stuff in areas like Brownsville and Bushwick becuase there so many people.

In my years living in this city, before I joined the police dept I witnessed many crimes. From murder to common robbery. Even in recent times I have personally witnessed and know many people close to me who have been the victims of crimes in this city. If your going to see a crime, you will see it here becuase NYC has more felony crimes per year then any other city. Double that of L.A. or Chicago. It's due to our population. The rates in our low income areas for crime are very high. Compareable to low income areas in other cities like Atlanta. That is a fact, I deal with this every day. On the other hand, our downtown is no different then any city, such as Atlanta. Yes there is a risk, but it's not as serious as if you are in a low income area and Black or Latino.

Crime concentrates in certain areas, usually among Blacks and Latinos. These areas are the same all over. The only reason one areas rates is higher is due to the fact either the city has mostly low income areas within city limits, or there is a local drug conflict/gang war going on.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 02:13 PM..

Old 12-27-2006, 07:57 PM

48 posts, read 461,787 times
Default hustla=bigot

Hustla just because its a white area, does not make it good or save. I've lived in Brooklyn all my life and I know every little part of Brooklyn. The Crime rate in all of Brooklyn is way down. I live in Flatbush and lived there all my life. In the late 80's and early 90's it was about as dangerouse as it could be. But now it's about as save as any other place in NYC. The carribean Immigrants has revitalized the area like you would'nt believe. If you look at census data, the per capita income of residents in flatbush is higher than most of your "good" "white" areas. I think we are seeing a shift in the city. Immigrants give more stock to education . Most of the city jobs and mid level wall street jobs that require a bachelors degree and pay $40k-$65k are being filed by immigrants from the carribbean, russia and asia who went to CUNY. The crime rate in these areas like Bushwick is all perception. Its not reallity. So when someone say Bushwick or Flatbush, your knee jerk reaction is danger, without any data to prove it except that these areas are Black. You should get some help.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:27 PM

Red face Hustla and Crime (Part II)

Well, it is weird. As far as I know and for what he has said, Hustla is a minority (Asian, I believe) and he does work as a policeman in a high-crime, poor area of Brooklyn (Brownsville). He is no bigot. BUT that does not explain why he is always denying (without data to support his statements) that crime in New York is not down but way high everywhere. I'll give him information released by the NYPD saying that murder and most crime has dramatically gone down in the five boroughs of New York City and he'll say that no, it is not true, this city is so **** dangerous and I have no clue.

What's interesting is that people in this forum will believe him just because!

I understand and agree with his saying that nowadays crime in New York focuses in low-income, Black and Hispanic areas. BUT geez, don't tell me we New Yorkers suffer as much crime as Atlanta, one of the murder capitals of America! It's just so out of reality.

I too do not understand why Hustla says what he says other than his working in the ghetto of Brownsville may have affected his vision of crime in the entire city of New York. I sure don't share his vision and/or reality.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,147,629 times
I'll weigh in as a born and bred New Yorker--lived in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and would say that NYC is neither without crime or as crime ridden as some might suggest.

In my 6 decades of life, I have seen a gang murder back when gangs flourished in the boroughs, quite a few purse snatching scenes, once I had to fight off a bunch of guys (read kids) who wanted my bike--but I wanted it more and a guy exposed himself to me while I was on a public phone (now extinct)

Overall, I'd say Bushwick is up and coming. Whether the housing stock is perty is another question. Williamsburg (not Bridge) is not attractive but has become a mecca to the young artists. However, over South is almost exclusively either Hispanic or Orthodox Jewish--they work together to live in peace! Bushwick is trying to be as up and coming as its neighbour and it will succeed. It has some great turn of the century houses here and there just like South Williamsburg does.

NYC seems to get a bad rap, but frankly, I've had as many incidents elsewhere.

And as for racism, and where people live, again today it is possible for everyone to live side-by-side and more power to us all for that. What we need to do is exploit our strengths not denigrate our weaknesses.

If all of you were in NYC during 9-11, remember that what got us (me, anyway) through it was the sense that everyone was going to pull through it together. I don't recall one harsh word, no racial epithet, only sharing. Now I ain't no pollyanna, but let's stop fighting over petty stuff, and get the big things accomplished.

Happy Holidays and YAY NYC!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:00 PM

160 posts, read 565,295 times
Default NYC crime and values

If the city were as bad as Hustla sez, I'd still be living in NYC. But it got so frigging expensive, when my family grew out of a 2BR apartment, I couldn't find an affordable place with a third bedroom anywhere near my Brooklyn neighborhood. The whole place is gentrifying beyond the reach of the middle class because it's too **** safe!
It's now a refuge for the rich. And give a little credit to the people in the neighborhoods who beat back the crack epidemic in the 90s. Yeah, the cops did a lot to stanch the bleeding, but it was the younger brothers of dealers who said, "**********, this is no way to live" who got real jobs (they were plentiful in the 90s) and helped drive the murder rate from 2000 a year to 540 a year.
So way to go Gotham! Sorry you made it impossible for me to stay.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:36 PM

I must agree with ontheroad's words. Beautiful and wise saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City