Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times

Advertisements

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...oject-new-life

So pending the outcome of this court case, the owners of the Mets and related will build a big shopping mall next to Citifield and they will also build housing. This is a massive investment in Queens in Corona almost at the Flushing border. As LGA gets rebuilt they are building an Airtrain to connect to the subway and the LIRR at Citifield.

This is a massive investment of real estate deep into Queens and yes this is gentrification and yes area real estate prices will rise. A big complain of Corona was insufficient areas to shop but that has changed in recent years. Even the expansion of the Queens Mall, the addition of new retailers in the Macy's building, the opening of a new mall in the area, plus amenities like the Apple store opening up in Queens Mall and new name brand restaurants on nearby Queens Blvd.

Even Lefrak City's real estate space has been upgraded and now has very nice Chinese stores and other modern Asian businessness (Asians who are more affluent than the previous residents coming in is gentrification as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 05:38 AM

Okay so the city now supports the developers appeal to building the shopping mail, and the rest of the complex including the housing.
Willets Point Mall | Willets West | Related Companies

Old 12-18-2015, 08:42 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
Will new housing get built? Wasn't the Barclay Center deal supposed to include affordable housing?

Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Always interesting to see people applauding when government swoops in to steal people's land that they own and businesses that they've built over generations. Legitimately the most un-american thing that can be done.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Always interesting to see people applauding when government swoops in to steal people's land that they own and businesses that they've built over generations. Legitimately the most un-american thing that can be done.
Those people were compensated. Those shops are ugly and an eyesore to the community. They needed to be removed so thank god the city used eminent domain.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:57 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
I find it interesting that there was any argument whatsoever that the area is considered parkland. Let them develop it so that real business can move in and clean that **** up. It will end up being taken over by Chinese as an extension of Downtown Flushing.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Those people were compensated. Those shops are ugly and an eyesore to the community. They needed to be removed so thank god the city used eminent domain.

People being able to continue to own and run their property and business where they have it is a fundamental american right, as long as they own it. Some of those folks have built those businesses from the times of their great-grandfathers probably. Their blood and sweat are in those foundations. Literally. This use of eminent domain is not for a children's hospital or anything. It's for fvckimg condos and hotels.

Whether someone's owned property is an eyesore and should be removed or not should not be determined by some politician or wannabe writer that posts on Internet forums.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:38 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
People being able to continue to own and run their property and business where they have it is a fundamental american right, as long as they own it. Some of those folks have built those businesses from the times of their great-grandfathers probably. Their blood and sweat are in those foundations. Literally. This use of eminent domain is not for a children's hospital or anything. It's for fvckimg condos and hotels.

Whether someone's owned property is an eyesore and should be removed or not should not be determined by some politician or wannabe writer that posts on Internet forums.
You may be right, but I have to ask -- did you ever go to Willet's Point for auto supplies? I've been to a poor area of Africa and that place would have fit right in. Deeply rutted dirt roads filled with standing water, stray dogs roaming around, shacks for selling used hubcaps. It was quite amazing to find that scene in the middle of NYC.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You may be right, but I have to ask -- did you ever go to Willet's Point for auto supplies? I've been to a poor area of Africa and that place would have fit right in. Deeply rutted dirt roads filled with standing water, stray dogs roaming around, shacks for selling used hubcaps. It was quite amazing to find that scene in the middle of NYC.
I have. Many times. And contrary to the point you're trying to make, I find the area to be a gem in terms of getting work done of parts that you might need. Always good deals to be had. Just my (and many others like me) opinion, my dear Henna.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:04 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
After you steal a car, it is the nabe you go to for it to be stripped and then chopped up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City