Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times

Advertisements

I think you could find an apartment large enough for 2 parents and 2 kids for under $2000 but the problem is that the statement is incorrect - it is not MOST places that cost that, it is only some places (for example) in areas of Queens not near the subway - like Maspeth or Middle Village. And to say look for "home rentals" - that is also misleading. I have never seen a home rental (entire home) listed for $1500. Yes, I have seen some for $2000 or $2200 but I suspect they are not in the most desirable of neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 PM

510 posts, read 2,244,098 times
We don't need brokers shilling their (arguably) worthless service on this board when we can click blindly anywhere on Craigslist if we want to get ripped off.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:13 PM

182 posts, read 436,304 times
what a shameless dirtbag of a salesman, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
We don't need brokers shilling their (arguably) worthless service on this board when we can click blindly anywhere on Craigslist if we want to get ripped off.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
But it seems the better deals for apartments seem to be through brokers. I found 2 amazing apartments in Astoria for $750 (1 bedroom, by myself) and there was a one month's broker fee. It was worth it. I ended up taking one of them. As long as you stay a year or more, you get your money's worth for the broker fee.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But it seems the better deals for apartments seem to be through brokers. I found 2 amazing apartments in Astoria for $750 (1 bedroom, by myself) and there was a one month's broker fee. It was worth it. I ended up taking one of them. As long as you stay a year or more, you get your money's worth for the broker fee.
It's unfortunately true that you can find better deals through brokers in many cases. We do not, however, need one on the board posting in every thread about the great deals he has. If we want to use a broker we know where to find them.

The posts have since been deleted so no big deal now.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 29,742 times
Thumbs up try it you'll like it

I have been in Harlem for ten years and all i have to say is harlem is just like any other place don't **** with anyone and they won't **** with you. p.s. me my self i love harlem it's no place like it ....

Old 02-12-2008, 02:14 PM

9 posts, read 75,684 times
Default $85K for a family of 4?

I think this is going to prove to be too difficult. I'm spread thin as one person, no dependents at more than $70k/yr. And I have been in NYC for 10 years.

In addition to rent, you also have to consider tuition for private school for the children. Also child care, if you will both be working.

I would also try to have a job set up before you come over. Everything is very competitive here... no matter what your line of work is.

I just urge you to think realistically. I have seen the cost of living nearly double in 10 years.

It's a struggle! A wonderful city, but a struggle.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 60,648 times
Default price range

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
What exactly is not very expensive? Can you give a price range?

Where in California are you coming from? Central Harlem and East Harlem are two of the rougher neighborhoods in Manhattan. Personally I would suggest that If you can't find something in Manhattan in your budget I would look to neighborhoods in the outer boroughs.
Like $2.000 for a one bedroom?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana luiza View Post
Like $2.000 for a one bedroom?
There are one bedrooms to be had in nice areas of Manhattan for $2000. It will be difficult to find one and competition will be fierce but they do occasionally pop up. Look on the upper east side towards York Ave. It may be a 12-15 minute walk to the subway but it is a nice and safe area with plenty of you basic necessities and a few restaurants and bars. I would take your $2k to a desirable Brooklyn neighborhood and get more bang for your buck and have more to do in your immediate vicinity. You can certainly stay out of Harlem for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City