Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:15 PM

474 posts, read 531,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Beijing and Shanghai are not centers of finance even in Asian. Hong Kong is. Beijing, Tokyo, and Seoul are not places one goes to underwrite stock and bond deals, and certainly not global ones.

That is mainly New York and London.
Sorry, I didn't think "Undisputed Capital of the World" was synonymous to "Disputed Capital of the Financial World".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 09:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Beijing and Shanghai are not centers of finance even in Asian. Hong Kong is. Beijing, Tokyo, and Seoul are not places one goes to underwrite stock and bond deals, and certainly not global ones.

That is mainly New York and London.
I hope you know that Hong Kong used to be a British colony and the crown jewel of the British Empire in Asia after the opium wars as well as a base for the British East India company and other financial institutions such as HSBC meaning Hong Kong and Shangai banking corporation which is a very popular British Bank. British that propped up Hong Kong onto the economic global stage.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 PM

110 posts, read 222,221 times
You will get no argument from me, NYC IS the undisputed capital of the world IMHO

Old 11-28-2014, 11:46 PM

672 posts, read 758,295 times
Ahhhh, yes. Can't you just feel the power in the air? So much sophistication! So many important and clever people near me! And with a little hustle and hard work I can join their ranks, which would be impossible anywhere else. Once I've made it here I'll have really made it. I mean, Frank Sinatra sang that song for a reason.

Reading this post reinforces my good decision to move from Corntown, Indiana (spit). The $500 I fork out every single week to share an apartment in Gramercy Park (with doorman, thank you) is worth every cent, as this post so correctly points out.

I mean, I've visited places like Rome and Paris and they're nice places to visit. But I was constantly reminded of how much less important they are than my city. And of course I understand that someday I might need a change of pace, which is when I'll check out SF and be bicoastal. (I was in Union Square a little while back and it was awesome.) Those losers back in Indiana don't even have the brains to realise I'm laughing at them as I wave from my plane window. Ugh. I mean, I can't hate them. It's just so sad to see them stuck out there, dumb as cows with no clue.

So thanks, OP, for reminding me I'm with the Best.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:25 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,746 times
Quote:
Another ungrateful resident. Why not leave now, & try to make a living elsewhere?
BTW, good luck finding decent bagels & pizza.
bigjake: typical NY'er response to anyone who would rather live elsewhere. hey, city life just does not appeal to us anymore....so what is wrong with that? besides, living in a big city is not all its cracked up to be and some folks, like us just don't fit in in spite of that fact that my wife was born here (i was not). so you just go on and have your nice life here and when the time comes, we'll go wherever we choose and we'll all have a pleasant existence until we expire and then it won't matter anymore. have a blessed day!

Last edited by urbanlemur; 11-29-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 07:19 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
bigjake: typical NY'er response to anyone who would rather live elsewhere. hey, city life just does not appeal to us anymore....so what is wrong with that? besides, living in a big city is not all its cracked up to be and some folks, like us just don't fit in in spite of that fact that my wife was born here (i was not). so you just go on and have your nice life here and when the time comes, we'll go wherever we choose and we'll all have a pleasant existence until we expire and then it won't matter anymore. have a blessed day!
I'll never understand people who are offended by the personal desires of others. I've lived here most of my life other than my time in the Army and I can't stand it, every day. Family keeps me here; we all have our reasons for staying.

It is what it is. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Old 11-29-2014, 08:01 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,081,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'll never understand people who are offended by the personal desires of others. I've lived here most of my life other than my time in the Army and I can't stand it, every day. Family keeps me here; we all have our reasons for staying.

It is what it is. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
Some people, such as myself, are caught by the blanketed statement that a place can be the undisputed capital of the world- meanwhile of course, as we all know, one rebuttal to this throws the entire statement out in the trash.

One day, I believe psychologists will coin a term for people blinded by all realities with an unwavering desire to live in New York. Some of us others see things how they are.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:36 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion. View Post
Center of finance. Of culture. Of hip-hop. Of punk. Of law. Of media.

The Harlem Renaissance. The World Trade Center. The Statue of Liberty. Times Square. The Empire State Building. The Chrysler Building.

The NYSE. The NASDAQ. Wall Street. Silicon Alley.

Madison. Park. Lexington. Fifth. Broadway.

King Kong. Sex And The City. Spider-man. Vanilla Sky. Sleepless in Seattle. Mean Streets. Taxi Driver. Manhattan. King of New York. Serpico. A Bronx Story. The Godfather. Law and Order. Friends. Seinfeld. King of Queens. The Apartment. Sweet Smell Of Success. Mad Men. 30 Rock. The Late Show with David Letterman. The Today Show.

Headquarters of ABC, NBC, Newscorp, CBS, AP, Reuters, Bloomberg, The NY Times, et al!

It is the pinnacle of Western civilization. Imagine the feelings of all those immigrants when they arrived at Ellis Island and looked at those skyscrapers for the first time!

No city since Rome has held this much power and might!

New York! America! The glory of it all!
Well, sure... But Comcast owns NBC and 30 Rock. And Comcast is based in Philly.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,842,554 times
Quote:
The public said Japan was blasting America out of the water in the 80s. And look at Japan now. The average person on the street is usually WRONG!

Please name all these cities that people go to when they need to underwrite major bond or stock deals. It's really mainly London and New York, though Hong Kong is certainly rising. Basically, New York has no major competition outside of those cities. Have you checked the price of real estate NYC? It only does up? Haters have been predicting total collapse in NYC real estate price since the 70s yet over the decades it only goes up.
what on earth did i say that would have given any indication I hate NYC? Quite the opposite: I think it is a great city. And, NYW, not because I want it to be, but I do believe that the financial empire we have created in NY and the US is going to crash and crash big time. It is totally unsupportable and unsustainable. And no way could I go into all the reasonings behind my feeling we're on shaky ground; people far smarter than I am have come to the same conclusions about where we are heading.

So, yes, and sorry, NYW, I do think it is coming down, not just for New York, but for the other great cities in America like Boston, Washington, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and my own home town, Chicago (which pays its own price for soaring real estate and the good life for the very select). And you and the other cheerleaders here would be on throughly safe ground if you projected what you said not as "NYC is the greatest city in the world" but on the basis of "this is why I think NYC is the greatest city in the world." It's just an assessment, not a fact, y'know.

Nothing stays constant, NYW. The very factor that finance has grown to such a huge part of the economy in New York (and the nation as a whole) shows how much trouble we are in.

Was there ever a "world's greatest city"? of course not. that only comes with assessments that we make. i make those assessments as well as anyone else, so I, too, can select my own "world's greatest city". For me it would be a city with creative exuberance, an incredible sense of place, a diversity that came not only in ethnicity but in the vast spectrum of income groups, a center of art, culture, finance, and virtually all forms of urban delight. that city, to me, would be NYC, circa 1950s, emerging from depression and war into all its glory. IMHO, never so great a city anywhere, any time. but then, that's just my opinion.

What a shame we think that the attributes of "world's greatest city" come in the form of economics and not all those other factors that are so important, you know, like quality of life issues. Paris, at one point, was considered the greatest city in the world. Yet finance and economics had little to do with what made it so great. Our values and priorities suck.

all that said, NYW, since we all make our own assessments, I see absolutely nothing wrong in your assessment that NYC is the greatest city in the world. You are entitled to your opinion.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I hope you know that Hong Kong used to be a British colony and the crown jewel of the British Empire in Asia after the opium wars as well as a base for the British East India company and other financial institutions such as HSBC meaning Hong Kong and Shangai banking corporation which is a very popular British Bank. British that propped up Hong Kong onto the economic global stage.
Of course I know all that. HSBC moved their headquarters to London after Hong Kong reverted back to Chinese ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City