Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:10 PM

12,339 posts, read 26,222,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Just last year the new york times compiled data which shows that while the number of jobs in nyc were just about back to prerecession levels 50% of working age blacks not in school were unemployed.
Then post a link. It's tiring to keep looking at numbers that people post and not have a sense of where they are coming from. Better yet, it's the OP's job to give us up-to-date data if he wants us to discuss DATA.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,271,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityscape_545 View Post
Research by the Fiscal Policy Institute provides the below estimates of how black men were faring across New York City's five boroughs.

Since the sky-high unemployment rates are known, why is NYC leadership doing so little to train and help black men gain employment? Which steps should the city take to help this group?
Here's a thought for black men to make themselves more marketable to prospective employers...

#1: If you could afford it, somehow, someway get rid of that tattoo that says "thug life" or whatever ghetto saying, thats on your neck and lower arms and hands. A tell tale sign of what culture you subscribe to and what you're into. People are not stupid and can put 2 and 2 together. And then you wonder why you get discriminated against.

#2: Try your best to assimilate main street culture so you can blend in with the rest of the work force which will include white people. In other words, don't be an outcast. Leave the hood life alone for good. People are not stupid. They can tell when someone is being fake nice and when the real hood person in you is dying to get out. They can see the ghetto tendencies. If you leave the hood culture alone, your behavior and actions to assimilate the main stream culture will seem more natural and genuine and people will believe you and accept you.

#3: Don't be a loud mouth or have loud conversations or have a typical "black" attitude that falls into the black stereotypes.

#4: Carry yourself with class so people can respect you.

#5: Be humble and get rid of your pride and ego.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,061,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweightbaby View Post
unemployed but actually employed. they get fed and pay to do nothing. welfare, free healthcare, foodstamps, and cheap housing. They are motivated by the incentives offered to them. all benefits will be lost if they work a minimum wage job. which means they will have to pay high rent and food out of their own pocket.

This is a LIE. Every time someone says this crap, I'm going to call you out on it, because ever since the late 1990s, NO ONE on welfare is sitting home doing "nothing".

Why do you people keep perpetuating this nonsense?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:33 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,637,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Here's a thought for black men to make themselves more marketable to prospective employers...

#1: If you could afford it, somehow, someway get rid of that tattoo that says "thug life" or whatever ghetto saying, thats on your neck and lower arms and hands. A tell tale sign of what culture you subscribe to and what you're into. People are not stupid and can put 2 and 2 together. And then you wonder why you get discriminated against.

#2: Try your best to assimilate main street culture so you can blend in with the rest of the work force which will include white people. In other words, don't be an outcast. Leave the hood life alone for good. People are not stupid. They can tell when someone is being fake nice and when the real hood person in you is dying to get out. They can see the ghetto tendencies. If you leave the hood culture alone, your behavior and actions to assimilate the main stream culture will seem more natural and genuine and people will believe you and accept you.

#3: Don't be a loud mouth or have loud conversations or have a typical "black" attitude that falls into the black stereotypes.

#4: Carry yourself with class so people can respect you.

#5: Be humble and get rid of your pride and ego.

Glad you were able to get this stuff out about "black attitude" and "hood culture".

LOL.

IF you REALLY want to help a young black boy....Offer him MENTORSHIP.

Not some tips on a board.

You guys have fun with this thread.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 PM

12,339 posts, read 26,222,981 times
The other thing about the "data" originally presented by the OP is that it comes from the American Community Survey, which only surveys 2 million people in the entire country, which I think is only about 1% of the population.

It didn't actually come from unemployment figures, just a questionnaire sent to some random addresses.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This is a LIE. Every time someone says this crap, I'm going to call you out on it, because ever since the late 1990s, NO ONE on welfare is sitting home doing "nothing".

Why do you people keep perpetuating this nonsense?
It's not nonsense, its true. I see it all the time. In fact disability and getting a SSI check is the new "welfare". I'm in the hood all day. I see it with my own eyes. There's no reason I should see people "chillin'" outside during the weekday unless you work a night shift. And we all know they work no shift. And yet I see them with their EBT cards buying junk food and when it's the first of the month...they be stalking the mailman. And I'm sure you know why.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Glad you were able to get this stuff out about "black attitude" and "hood culture".

LOL.

IF you REALLY want to help a young black boy....Offer him MENTORSHIP.

Not some tips on a board.

You guys have fun with this thread.
It sounds harsh but its true. Black people gotta come correct or they're going to get discriminated against because of the way the present themselves. That's just how life is. And when I say black people, I don't mean every single black person. That would be silly.

But I bet the black men and women who are having a hard time getting a job are "rough around the edges" and don't present themselves in a favorable manner.

Remember that the work force is competition driven. Why would an employer pick a "rough around the edges" black person when he can hire a more polished and presentable employee who also interviewed for the job? See me point?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
It's not nonsense, its true. I see it all the time. In fact disability and getting a SSI check is the new "welfare".
Okay, then folks need to specify what they're talking about instead of lumping everyone together.

Quote:
I'm in the hood all day. I see it with my own eyes. There's no reason I should see people "chillin'" outside during the weekday unless you work a night shift. And we all know they work no shift.
Lol!

Quote:
And yet I see them with their EBT cards buying junk food and when it's the first of the month
What's wrong with junk food?

Quote:
...they be stalking the mailman. And I'm sure you know why.

They don't need to wait for the mailman to get their money now anymore. LMAO!!

The government only deals with bank debit cards now.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:02 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,845,728 times
Well this probably doesn't account for all the entrepreneurs selling loosies, etc.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
It sounds harsh but its true. Black people gotta come correct or they're going to get discriminated against because of the way the present themselves. That's just how life is. And when I say black people, I don't mean every single black person. That would be silly.

But I bet the black men and women who are having a hard time getting a job are "rough around the edges" and don't present themselves in a favorable manner.

Remember that the work force is competition driven. Why would an employer pick a "rough around the edges" black person when he can hire a more polished and presentable employee who also interviewed for the job? See me point?

It's always been about "assimilation" or faking it to make "them" feel "comfortable".

People used to teach their kids this, but not anymore. So much has changed and I really do blame several generations of crackheads for it. They breeded kids, never raised them, left them in the care of too old grandparents, and/or languishing in foster care. These kids grow up basically raising themselves, have kids at young ages, get in trouble with the law, repeat the cycle of their parents and how they grew up on THEIR kids and then it continues with the next generation until you have what we have today.

Back when I was coming up, I would talk slang with my friends, but speak 100% perfect english with my parents like most kids. They made it very clear that they were not my "friends" and would not tolerate us speaking like illiterates. Even my teachers would correct my grammar if I said something wrong. Unfortunately, for the last two generations of kids (not just here in NYC, but elsewhere) from certain families, no one is doing this for them. It's sad, because they don't realize how they sound to people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City