Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:16 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,477,820 times

Advertisements

Something to consider: in our country people are not arrested because their character is questionable. So even when someone is "not innocent" he cannot be arrested unless he commits a crime. That's the foundation of our civil laws. Therefore, the question is not if these people are "innocent" or not, but rather if they were stopped while committing crimes. I guess that only a small number of "suspects" are stopped randomly while committing crimes. I also think that if stop and frisk will be brought before the US Supreme Court it may be found unconstitutional...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 11:08 PM

35 posts, read 37,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
No. I guess this is what they teach you at Cornell.
That is frightening.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
The issues are social, educational, environmental, and economical and it will not be fixed by stop and frisk or gentrification. It will only be made worse by them since they are not addressing the root cause of the problem.

There are people that are having kids when they are not mentally, emotionally and financially ready to have kids. I am not saying that poor to middle class can't have kids but they need to prepare before thinking of having kids. If you can't provide an equal or better life for an offspring then you should WAIT until you are able to do so. (ie; wait until you have a good partner, a good career, etc) I know a lot of young teens to adults that have a baby out of wedlock that are struggling, are no longer together, have been pigeon holed in a job, etc.. The nuclear family is no longer the norm. Single parent family is on the rise or an anti-social nuclear family (ie: mom and dad are not involved in the kid's life). This can lead to issue in the child's education, environment and career.
You have poor people and single parent people all over the country, yet the knockout games are only done by certain people and in certain areas. So clearly there is something else going on besides poverty and besides having single parents.

There have always been poor working class people, married or not. I've been in any number of poor working class neighborhoods and felt safe. This violence is coming from ghetto neighborhoods.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:48 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,270,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I am going to have to reconsider my positions on Stop and Frisk. On gentrification, I already had no strong feelings. People need to live where they can afford, so if your landlord wants to raise the rent you need to pay up or find another place to live.

But as far as Stop and Frisk goes, while I don't want innocent people to be poorly treated by the police, at the same time the reason why Bloomberg even had to institute stop and frisk is because you have some scummy behavior from certain people.

I don't want to hear any excuses from defenders of this criminal scum.

Basically, its the poor underclass people that are so worshipped and celebrated by bleeding heart liberals that are doing these brutal attacks on innocent people!

The behavior of these children is an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment. What kind of parents would allow their children to roam the streets committing criminal behaviors? If any of these thugs are underage, the parents should be held responsible. Maybe if mommy gets kicked out of her apartment and can't get into a shelter she'll try to do a better job in teaching her children that there are consequences for crappy behavior.

And really, New York should do like the Southern states were prisoners are forced to do hard labor. Upstate NY is cold, so even make them bust rocks in a quarry in the COLD!

And the behavior of this riff raff is exactly why New York needs to further eliminate easy welfare.

Airborneguy, I have my differences with you but I'm going to say that people should arm themselves in self defense and the city needs to organize a sense of community among working and law abiding people. If you had community full of armed people who cared about where they lived you would not have this kind of barbarism. The behavior of these cretins is wicked, vile, stupid, and savage.
A community full of armed people would result in increased shootouts over petty things. Especially in a dense urban environment where people are pissed off on each other on regular basis about everything. Now add liquor and drugs on top off that (which are widely used among all social classes) and you have a full fledged war.

As for the knockout game it's despicable. I hope these criminals will be punished by the full extent of the law.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 11-29-2013 at 04:01 AM..

Old 11-29-2013, 03:29 AM

1,522 posts, read 1,823,120 times
I wish I could see S&F happening in real time once. I'm not dressed like a thug or hanging around street corners at night so I have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:53 AM

386 posts, read 669,535 times
I have been stopped and frisked multiple times. I will not stand behind anything that tramples a person's rights.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:02 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,643,158 times
NYWriterdude would not be potentially stopped, since he doesn't even live here! I fail to understand how stop and frisk would have any significant impact on things like Knockout, as despicable as it is, since no weapons are involved.

Dude - you are oddly comfortable generalizing about the "poor underclass", considering that you absolutely lose your mind if someone makes assumptions about LGBTs of color, or general physical characterizations of blacks.

Last edited by yodel; 11-29-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 11-29-2013, 07:17 AM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
A community full of armed people would result in increased shootouts over petty things. Especially in a dense urban environment where people are pissed off on each other on regular basis about everything. Now add liquor and drugs on top off that (which are widely used among all social classes) and you have a full fledged war.
Can you point me towards statistics which back the claims you make above? You should easily be able to find them considering many states which are pro-2nd Amendment have urban areas. This "Wild West" environment you speak of must be the norm in places like Texas, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah, etc.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:19 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,264,474 times
Lets be real here. The people that participant in the knockout game are young black thugs.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:20 AM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Airborneguy, I have my differences with you but I'm going to say that people should arm themselves in self defense and the city needs to organize a sense of community among working and law abiding people. If you had community full of armed people who cared about where they lived you would not have this kind of barbarism. The behavior of these cretins is wicked, vile, stupid, and savage.
Quite frankly, after your meltdown the other day I'm extremely reluctant to comment on anything you say. Your blatant and knowing mis-characterization of my post regarding Colin Powell was not in keeping with intelligent discourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City