Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The house is abandoned.....an overgrowth of some kind.
Yea, I noticed why it's abandoned. I'm surprised it's been left abandoned, home prices seem high enough. Perhaps it's expensive to repair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Perhaps it's expensive to repair?
Either that or it got foreclosed on would be my 2 guesses.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-18-2013, 11:02 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times
Houses for sale in Cypress Hills, a sampling of its market:

70 Richmond Street, Brooklyn NY - Trulia

59 Euclid Avenue, Brooklyn NY - Trulia

95 Elton Street, Brooklyn NY - Trulia

99 Pine Street, Brooklyn NY - Trulia

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,977,077 times
Personally, I've always had interest with the blocks around the J line when it begins to turn north towards Jamaica Ave.

This is around the area I mentioned. This one house was closed for years. Recently it was refurbished and is up for sale, it's 3x the original size since it occupies the corner. The property there is much larger than what you see in picture today. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cypre...,,0,-5.77&z=18

Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times
Quote:
What's with the tall fences? I've seen them elsewhere in Brooklyn, thought it made the block look more hood. Do you think they improve safety that much?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What's with the tall fences? I've seen them elsewhere in Brooklyn, thought it made the block look more hood. Do you think they improve safety that much?
A remnant of old East New York. Those fences were placed many years ago, before my era. I'm not kidding. I gather the motive at the time was to improve safety in a declining area in eastern Brooklyn. One must remember, a huge portion of eastern Brooklyn looked like Detroit during the 70's and 80's, lot's of green space, boarded up homes, high crime. This could be the reason why folks back then gated their property in sub-sections like City Line and Cypress Hills. You can see this on the movie DeathWish 3 with Charles Bronson, a large portion of the movie was filmed in ENY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS9BdSChngE (look at the street names too! LOL.. You can see Highland Park in the background when the video begins)

Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,322,752 times
Quote:
Looks like you'll still be paying that premium to have a Brooklyn address. Jump over the border into Queens and you'll get the same house at the same price (maybe less?) without the Brooklyn crime.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Looks like you'll still be paying that premium to have a Brooklyn address. Jump over the border into Queens and you'll get the same house at the same price (maybe less?) without the Brooklyn crime.
I do agree, Glendale-Ridgewood is nicer, safer and cleaner than nearby Bushwick and Woodhaven is nicer, safer and cleaner than nearby Cypress Hills.

I've seen Swedish, French, German, and British flags waving in the air on some of Bushwick's rooftops or hanging from a window. If you happen to travel along the elevated J/M/Z line you will likely see it if you examine the Bushwick side. If people are willing to come from developed countries and move into a so-so area. No telling what the future holds. Although I strongly believe Ridgewood-Glendale don't need hipsters or transplants to improve it. It's fine as it is. Back on topic, Cypress Hills however can use the assistance. lol

Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 AM

80 posts, read 140,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I do agree, Glendale-Ridgewood is nicer, safer and cleaner than nearby Bushwick and Woodhaven is nicer, safer and cleaner than nearby Cypress Hills.

I've seen Swedish, French, German, and British flags waving in the air on some of Bushwick's rooftops or hanging from a window. If you happen to travel along the elevated J/M/Z line you will likely see it if you examine the Bushwick side. If people are willing to come from developed countries and move into a so-so area. No telling what the future holds. Although I strongly believe Ridgewood-Glendale don't need hipsters or transplants to improve it. It's fine as it is. Back on topic, Cypress Hills however can use the assistance. lol
Agreed. Cypress Hills needs revitalization, does not have to be and won't be Williamsburg style. Are you familiar with the Cypress Hills Development Corp or have an opinion on them?

ShadowMassa & G-Dale, do you enjoy living there?

ps ShadowMassa, I've seen that old corner building you posted that was recently refurbished, so cool!!!

Old 11-19-2013, 01:58 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,322,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf726 View Post
ShadowMassa & G-Dale, do you enjoy living there?
I don't live there and never have, so I'll leave that question to ShadowMassa. Do you speak Spanish? I used to spend a lot of time around Highland Park and it seems like that would be the language of choice around much of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City