Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 AM

8,713 posts, read 11,120,429 times

Advertisements

random things Bloomberg did:

-he did not take salary of being the mayor
-he did not succumb to unions which is a double edge sword
-smoking ban was the best thing ever despite it being controversial at the time
-health initiative was one thing he pushed hard for. He was big on people exercising. Some were very controversial like soda bans & forcing store owners not to display ciggs.
-I believe nyc could have been worse fiscally during the 2008 financial mess. I strongly believe he was a genius at balancing the nyc budget given the circumstance
-he was really against gun & drugs which nyc is one of the most strictest laws in the nation.

Of course, some disagree with the above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,733,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And there are all those new parks that could be renamed in his honor's honor. Oh wait, there WERE no new parks.
Pretty sure he did create new parks though. From the top of my head - LIC park in Queens, Fresh Kills park on Staten, and the park under the Brooklyn bridge. I think there are some others in the making, like on Governors island. I heard somewhere that by park area, Bloomberg created more parks in NYC than anyone else since WW2.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,189,609 times
Thanks Ganz. I admit to his park building.

So then FreshKills Park can be renamed Bloomberg Park when it is finished in 30 years, if anyone still remembers Mike. Or else De Blasio Park, or best of all PEOPLE'S PARK...it has a ring.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,098,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Pretty sure he did create new parks though. From the top of my head - LIC park in Queens, Fresh Kills park on Staten, and the park under the Brooklyn bridge. I think there are some others in the making, like on Governors island. I heard somewhere that by park area, Bloomberg created more parks in NYC than anyone else since WW2.
Im not sure if you know about urbanist Richard Florida, he advised Bloomberg on building parks, bikelanes and pedestrian malls. He also advised other mayors in other big cities like DC, Boston, and Sf to do the same thing.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 AM

18,502 posts, read 31,723,464 times
The worse thing he did for me was re-instate the tourist helicopters.

These tourist helicopters have killed a few people already and are dangerous.
Not to mention they are loud and offensive. The helicopters surround govenors island over the harbor, near the newly built brooklyn bridge park, and South Street seaport, and just cause a constant loud droan all day long.

This completely takes the tranquility of going to a park.

Going to Govenors Island and having 6 to 7 helicopters surround the Island all day long is simply maddening, that I won't even go.

Rudy Guilaian was the one that banned the tourist helicopters, for quality of life issues because of the constant noise, which disturbs thousands of residents.

Bloomberg does care about OUR quality of life, just the mighty buck, that is why he re-instated them again.

So for that alone, because that really affects my life, I hate him and the third term thing was simply not right.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,098,665 times
This will be one of the last neighborhoods that wipp be rezoned before Bloomberg leaves office in 90 days.
Jeremiah's Vanishing New York: The Fight for Willets Point

Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,231,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This will be one of the last neighborhoods that wipp be rezoned before Bloomberg leaves office in 90 days.
Jeremiah's Vanishing New York: The Fight for Willets Point

This is one thing that truly makes me despise this POS. What country do we live it where when you own property and a business that your relatives built through their blood and sweat; you are not allowed to keep it if you want it. Bloomberg has never lifted a shovel in his f'ing life. And simply for some hotels or some BS? These folks pay their taxes and get virtually nothing in return. All they want to do is stay in their current location, where they have owned their property for f'ing decades. I legitimately hope the Willet's Point redevelopment fails in the end, as long as these people want to stay in their property. It probably won't though...

Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 AM

34,179 posts, read 47,465,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
This is one thing that truly makes me despise this POS. What country do we live it where when you own property and a business that your relatives built through their blood and sweat; you are not allowed to keep it if you want it. Bloomberg has never lifted a shovel in his f'ing life. And simply for some hotels or some BS? These folks pay their taxes and get virtually nothing in return. All they want to do is stay in their current location, where they have owned their property for f'ing decades. I legitimately hope the Willet's Point redevelopment fails in the end, as long as these people want to stay in their property. It probably won't though...
Won't they get compensated?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-07-2013, 11:22 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,054,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
The use of eminent domain was much much more rampant throughout NY's history. I hope that those businesses will get compensated well. Unfortunately as a prior customer of those businesses, I know that the majority of them are all cash so it'll be hard to justify the real fair value of their business/property through tax fillings unless some of them recorded their incomes more properly the past few years since they all knew that this might be coming.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,889,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Won't they get compensated?
Most likely they will though the moral point is that people shouldn't be forced to sell their property if they don't want to.

But with that said for all practical purposes NYCers and NYC will be better off with the development of Willets than keeping it as it is today. Queens has been screaming for its own business and retail hub that is independent of Manhattan and this will fill in the need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City