Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

Sorry I could not break down the causes. Cost of Living, NYC is very expensive, some one has to pay 1/3 of their income on taxes and not enough money to pump money back in to enjoy leisure, or even better save for a rainy day or invest in tomorrow. Rents, Metro Cards, gas prices, it all continues to go up. I hope prices can stagnate along with inflation and maybe wages can go up so price of commodities can stabilize here in NYC.

Quality of life is another issue. Pollution, congestion, noise pollution, smell of urine, dog poop, vomit, high stds, not so great schools, dysfunctional families, broken families, police brutality and for the price of living in the greatest city in the world makes me wanna barth. Especially at its high price. Who wants to live in a place like that forever or even raise a family in it, so for some quality of life can be an issue.
Those points cut across all racial and ethnic groups and all socioeconomic groups. A lot of people just eventually want to buy a house in a quiet neighborhood and want space. You do have that in parts of the city, but depending on where you work does your job have parking? So some people end up leaving the area to find quiet, clean places. Some still find it in the area.

Quote:

Gentrification probably forced many to move out of their nabes, not that those who were pushed out. Usually those who are pushed probably move to cheaper neighborhoods and do not have the financial power of moving out of the city or even state. Especially those with decent low skilled paying jobs. I read some where that gentrification affects mostly blacks and to a lesser extent ethnic whites like in Southie in Boston and Greenpoint in Brooklyn, however does not affect Hispanics that much. Those who own property and sold their homes for nice hefty fee probably took their money and moved out of the city.

Again competition in NYC is cut throat. Many New Yorkers do not develop skills, and knowledge to compete, remain relevant and proficient in certain fields of the corporate world and are easily eclipsed for jobs by Transplants and bridge and tunnel suburbanites. Also CUNY and SUNY degrees are not going to cut it anymore at getting through the door vs a kid who went to Ohio State or Texas A & M. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere is one of the most falsest slogans I have ever heard. Also low wage workers but also low skill paying jobs face tough competition from immigrants who will work for lower wages at times.
In the 70s-early 90s, Blacks and Hispanics (just like people of all other races) who moved up socioeconomically routinely left the city for the suburbs.

With that said, I think part of the problem here is that people are projecting their own situations with poverty onto others. The comments about CUNY and SUNY are a case in point.

I've know a professor who has two degrees at CUNY who is teaching at Cornell. I've known other CUNY degree holders who got accepted into professional schools at Ivy Leagues. There are a lot of successful CUNY degree holders. Because so many CUNY schools are filled with working poor students they don't have the highest graduation rate, but those that do graduate do reasonably well.

SUNY and CUNY degree holders, like any other degree holders, do not have to stay in NYC. They can go out for jobs around the country and in some cases OUT of the country.

The problem with NYC and certain other parts of big cities is they have a lot of services for the poor. Rural and suburban areas have few shelters, few addiction treatment programs, and few other services for the poor. So where do people considered scum by the rest of society get these services? You guessed it, in places like NYC which has a multitude of programs to serve them. These people are not mobile people and once they get on these programs they will often stay on them indefinitely. All in the name of free stuff. So you have whole neighborhoods that are at least partially based on this.

Birds of a feather flock together. So if all you know is poor people in your family or among your friends, you don't see working Blacks and Hispanics, though there are plenty of them working in the city in very public places like hospitals, post office, MTA, etc (union jobs, these people have houses and cars). And yes, believe it or not, you have Blacks and Hispanics in the private sector.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 09-16-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,245 times
Why oh why can't I rep Bxguyanese?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 AM

10 posts, read 20,226 times
I'm speaking for myself here as a hispanic but I'm going nowhere (because I live in Queens).

Old 09-17-2013, 02:27 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywriterdude View Post
those points cut across all racial and ethnic groups and all socioeconomic groups. A lot of people just eventually want to buy a house in a quiet neighborhood and want space. You do have that in parts of the city, but depending on where you work does your job have parking? So some people end up leaving the area to find quiet, clean places. Some still find it in the area.

in the 70s-early 90s, blacks and hispanics (just like people of all other races) who moved up socioeconomically routinely left the city for the suburbs.

With that said, i think part of the problem here is that people are projecting their own situations with poverty onto others. The comments about cuny and suny are a case in point.

I've know a professor who has two degrees at cuny who is teaching at cornell. I've known other cuny degree holders who got accepted into professional schools at ivy leagues. There are a lot of successful cuny degree holders. Because so many cuny schools are filled with working poor students they don't have the highest graduation rate, but those that do graduate do reasonably well.

suny and cuny degree holders, like any other degree holders, do not have to stay in nyc. They can go out for jobs around the country and in some cases out of the country.

the problem with nyc and certain other parts of big cities is they have a lot of services for the poor. Rural and suburban areas have few shelters, few addiction treatment programs, and few other services for the poor. So where do people considered scum by the rest of society get these services? You guessed it, in places like nyc which has a multitude of programs to serve them. These people are not mobile people and once they get on these programs they will often stay on them indefinitely. All in the name of free stuff. So you have whole neighborhoods that are at least partially based on this.

birds of a feather flock together. So if all you know is poor people in your family or among your friends, you don't see working blacks and hispanics, though there are plenty of them working in the city in very public places like hospitals, post office, mta, etc (union jobs, these people have houses and cars). And yes, believe it or not, you have blacks and hispanics in the private sector.
Of course my points cut across all racial lines, it sure did for many whites during the white flight during the 2nd half of the 20th century right? But you are right though, yes plenty of SUNY and CUNY degree holders can leave the state and city for better jobs. Actually most of my college buddies do not work in NYC, most of private and public sector jobs in the metro area or out of the state entirely.Also some wanted to start a family and settle down and moved out of the city I asked why outside of NYC, and yes for some it was competition, many of my buddies graduated during the downturn but also faced stiff competition due to gentrification and arrival of migrants from parts of the country who are often have better connections through alumni, maybe better educated, or just have a better repertoire on their resume. Lol I see working blacks and Hispanics everyday trying to support their families and yes many work various positions in public and private sectors. And yes Blacks and Hispanics do work in private sector jobs here in the city like in the accounting department, cough, cough. Overall NYC in the past ten years has become a very competitive city in recent years and I put a huge blame on gentrification for this, and for those that try real hard either have to put more stress on themselves, but also on their wallets, credit cards, go back to school to get a masters, and try again while racking up all that debt which will be hard to pay off and yes blacks have often a higher rate of student debt than some whites.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-17-2013 at 02:41 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Overall NYC in the past ten years has become a very competitive city in recent years and I put a huge blame on gentrification for this, and for those that try real hard either have to put more stress on themselves, but also on their wallets, credit cards, go back to school to get a masters, and try again while racking up all that debt which will be hard to pay off and yes blacks have often a higher rate of student debt than some whites.
You really are negative when it comes to non whites and you really do look up to those perfect whites, don't you.

Student debt hits people of all groups. I've known people regardless of race to have 100k debts. Its not a Black or White or any other thing.

It amazes me people constantly pimp Black=Broke here. Go to Union Square/the Lower East Side, and look at all the white crusty homeless people (many of them addicts). Oh, and plenty of whites have high debts too.

Why do you have to racialize things when there's no need?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You really are negative when it comes to non whites and you really do look up to those perfect whites, don't you.

Student debt hits people of all groups. I've known people regardless of race to have 100k debts. Its not a Black or White or any other thing.

It amazes me people constantly pimp Black=Broke here. Go to Union Square/the Lower East Side, and look at all the white crusty homeless people (many of them addicts). Oh, and plenty of whites have high debts too.

Why do you have to racialize things when there's no need?
Lol i know whites are not perfect, no duh dude! But plenty of blacks do not have access to money besides their equity in their home.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:11 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
While its true there are a number of low income African Americans who reside in public housing, there are a number of African Americans who live in parts of Queens and the North Bronx who are HOMEOWNERS who DRIVE cars to work and work in fields like education, hospitals, civil service, or the MTA. I'm curious as to why people pretend this doesn't exist?

I guess these people are merely speaking about where they live and who they interact with.

Yep, Hollis and St. Albans, Queens is filled with plenty of African Americans who have nice homes and drive nice cars. It's a very suburban area too. The "Black suburbs" as some will call it.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 AM

11 posts, read 13,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameX View Post
There has been a declining population of blacks and hispanics in NYC, particularly African Americans and Puerto Ricans. Why? Gentrification and High cost of living are some of the reasons. But is there something else to it or...?
Also, where are they mostly relocating to? Are they going mainly to the suburbs, or cheaper nearby big cities, or somewhere in the sunbelt, or somewhere else entirely.
On a side note, out of all 5 boros, the Bronx is only one that didnt see its non white population decline.
Well, the bronx has little Italy-Italians and Riverdale predominantley Jewish and Woodlawn predominantly Irish and many little areas within the bronx that are predominantly white and the Bronx is central to all of NYC, close to NJ and Westchester County so there are reasons to stay. Most of the hispanics and blacks are moving to Hudson Valley, Orange county, it's suburban, but cheaper than living in Westchester County. Look at Spring Valley, you will see a huge rise in Hispanic population. They have also left and moved to certain areas in CT, like bridgeport and Danbury, more space for less money, the trade off is the commute. You can get a condo/coop/townhouse or single family home in Organe County NY for under $150K which works out less than rent in most of the bronx, you just have to commute 1.5hours each way to do it, got to give something to get something.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Lol i know whites are not perfect, no duh dude! But plenty of blacks do not have access to money besides their equity in their home.
And there are plenty that do.

All races have lots of poor people. And actually, if the Black person has a house, quite clearly they did have access to money to buy the HOME. That implies the person has a JOB and obviously a bank account and good credit.

So again, I ask why do you seemingly worship whites? And just love putting down non whites? Is it self hatred? An inferiority complex?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
you miss the blacks who left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City