Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:03 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,301,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Absolute worst case scenario, the city loses power for a few days. Maybe some flooding near the waterfront somewhere. Big deal. That probably won't happen anyway. Is there 12 feet of water in your apartment? No? Then you don't have anything to worry about.
Power outages in most places are annoying inconveniences. In New York, especially Manhattan, it's much more serious. Mid- to high-rise buildings rely on their own water pumps. If the power goes out, most buildings lose water as well. This, coupled with the loss of elevators, makes apartments dangerous for the elderly. Without power and water, hotels are forced to close, leaving tens of thousands of tourists and business travelers literally on the street with no way to get out of the city because the trains are electric. The last blackout was during the summer. Sleeping outside is obviously untenable in a hurricane. Where are those people supposed to go?

I'm not saying it'll happen, but the losing power in the city is a very big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 02:23 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,703,261 times
hotel guests already checked into the hotel will be asked to leave if the power fails? Obviously those guests who have not checked in yet can't get in but what about guests who are already in the hotel?

Old 10-27-2012, 02:38 PM

25,376 posts, read 37,106,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The live press conference I saw earlier this after on one of the local TV channels said that MTA hasn't made a decision yet. But if they decide to shut down the subway it will start the process at 7PM (Sunday evening) and be completely shutdown by 3AM (Monday morning).

Ouch, we have company coming over tomorrow from Rego Park...I hope we don't have to put them up for a week.
I think I'll cancel.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:45 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,301,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
hotel guests already checked into the hotel will be asked to leave if the power fails? Obviously those guests who have not checked in yet can't get in but what about guests who are already in the hotel?
I know there are legal issues about being in a hotel (or any commercial building, including a restaurant or office) without water. Of course, they may suspend the requirements if it's in the middle of a hurricane. It really depends on how long the outages last.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:45 PM

14 posts, read 18,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
oh bloody hell! i am traveling over from the uk and staying in a hotel from the 1st to the 4th

Old 10-27-2012, 02:48 PM

43,706 posts, read 44,464,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Ouch, we have company coming over tomorrow from Rego Park...I hope we don't have to put them up for a week.
I think I'll cancel.
Well if they are coming during the day it isn't a problem. But everyone should be where they need to be by 7PM in case the subway starts shutting down.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Power outages in most places are annoying inconveniences. In New York, especially Manhattan, it's much more serious. Mid- to high-rise buildings rely on their own water pumps. If the power goes out, most buildings lose water as well. This, coupled with the loss of elevators, makes apartments dangerous for the elderly. Without power and water, hotels are forced to close, leaving tens of thousands of tourists and business travelers literally on the street with no way to get out of the city because the trains are electric. The last blackout was during the summer. Sleeping outside is obviously untenable in a hurricane. Where are those people supposed to go?

I'm not saying it'll happen, but the losing power in the city is a very big deal.
NYC didn't lose power during Hurricane Irene. So let's hope that it doesn't happen now.

People who live in older buildings that have no more than 5-6 floors will still have water (as was the case when the whole Northeast lost power during that summer blackout).

Old 10-27-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymoo123 View Post
oh bloody hell! i am traveling over from the uk and staying in a hotel from the 1st to the 4th
Hopefully by the 1st there will be a clean-up of the area under the way and everything will be behind NYC residents.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,103,904 times
You guys are crazy for not preparing big time for lack of power and flooding for several days. It's a massive storm. Massive.

Hurricane preparedness tips: Home | Ready.gov

Hurricane info: http://www.weather.com/

When Sandy will make landfall: http://www.weather.com/weather/video...torm-watch-365

This is what I said in the Irene thread a year ago August -- and it's still true today:

Quote:
People who think in absolutes have a lot of trouble accepting that weather is unpredictable.

Experts make their best guesses and go from there.

If the weather had been worse, and people had not been warned of that potential, the media would be criticized for that.

So they can't win.
If you drink whole-bean coffee, grind it now. You might not have power when you need it. Gas stoves will still work. You can pour hot water through a filter and still enjoy your coffee and prevent caffeine-withdrawal headaches. And have enough food that you can eat that doesn't need cooking or refrigeration.

A manual can opener is useful, too.

LB
Hurricane Fran Survivor
Raleigh, North Carolina

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-27-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 PM

19,059 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Hotels wouldn't kick people out, that's absurd. They'd enjoy far worse liability turning people out on the streets in the middle of a hurricane. As long as you are inside and more than a few feet above sea level, physical danger won't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City