Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 06:19 PM

270 posts, read 161,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Queens goes by the Continental Street numbering system. Because Queens has numbered streets and avenues that intersect on the grid, the Continental numbering system actually helps you to know what street or avenue the address is near.

Avenues/Roads/Drives in Queens run from north to south, the numbers increase as you go south. So in Whitestone you have 3rd Avenue, St. Albans you have 114th Drive, Laurelton you have 141st Road and in Howard Beach you have 165th Avenue.

Streets/Places/Terraces in Queens run from west to east, the numbers increase as you go east. So you have 12th Street in Long Island City, 81st Street in Jackson Heights, 150th Street in Jamaica and 262nd Place in Rosedale.

So a fictional address like 134-19 128th Street would let you know that the address is near 134th Avenue. A fictional address such as 134-83 128th Street would let you know that the address is close to 135th Avenue.

Very interesting! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 08:37 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
wrong.
i used to mess with a girl in riverdale and she wrote her address as bronx ny
u can thank greedy real estate angents for the riverdale, ny.
they do that thinkin it will separate it from the bronx to throw people off
even the tony private schools (riverdale, fieldston, horace mann) write their address as bronx, ny.
My first seven years of life were lived in Riverdale. We almost wrote out our address as 5545 Henry Hudson Parkway, Riverdale 71, New York. With the Zone Improvement Plan or "ZIP" my then old neighorhood was "Riverdale, NY 10471." I don't know of anyone who used "Bronx" in the address including my grandmother, who lived there until being pt in a nursing home.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:14 AM

34,009 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My first seven years of life were lived in Riverdale. We almost wrote out our address as 5545 Henry Hudson Parkway, Riverdale 71, New York. With the Zone Improvement Plan or "ZIP" my then old neighorhood was "Riverdale, NY 10471." I don't know of anyone who used "Bronx" in the address including my grandmother, who lived there until being pt in a nursing home.
So what is the reasoning for anybody using Riverdale, NY instead of Bronx, NY?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-24-2024, 06:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
You're right about Queens but I have not seen that for Staten Island. Another anomaly for Queens are that most addresses are hyphenated. Ex. 134-87 Queens Blvd. Why is that?
Just to annoy people trying to navigate Queens. OY, and all those Streets, Avenues, Roads, Boulevards, and Terraces...like navigating Bedlam.

Old 03-24-2024, 07:09 AM

Quote:
So what is the reasoning for anybody using Riverdale, NY instead of Bronx, NY?
I guess the Riverdalians, as we called ourselves, were a bit snobbish and didn't want too much association with the rest of the Bronx. There is a sharp difference noticeable when you go down the steep hill from Fieldston Academy and Horace Mann, both hoity-toity private schools,to Broadway. The area becomes much more "down to earth" at Broadway despite Van Cortland Park's presence. The Riverdale-Yonkers line is a rare case where the neighborhood on the Westchester side is generally less desirable. I will note that my grandparents lived just into Yonkers on the one collection of a few streets, Fanshor Avenue, which was nice. They weren't above walking into the Bronx during the 1947 telephone operator's strike to use dial payphones, though. We did have a phone exchange from a grittier area, KIngsbridge 3 and 8.

A similar phenomena exists were I live right now. Before the Village of Rye Brook was formed, occupying the unincorporated part of Rye Town, the people used to say they lived in the Town of Rye. This was snobbism. The zip code was Port Chester. The police and fire was Port Chester. The telephone exchange, WEstmore 7 and 9 was Port Chester, but before Rye Brook was formed in 1982 they wanted no part of Port Chester.

In short it had nothing to do with realtors.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:53 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Nothing is stopping any Queens or Staten Island resident by
adding the Queens or S.I. surname between the address and
zip code when mailing a letter.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:16 AM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
I guess the Riverdalians, as we called ourselves, were a bit snobbish and didn't want too much association with the rest of the Bronx. There is a sharp difference noticeable when you go down the steep hill from Fieldston Academy and Horace Mann, both hoity-toity private schools,to Broadway. The area becomes much more "down to earth" at Broadway despite Van Cortland Park's presence. The Riverdale-Yonkers line is a rare case where the neighborhood on the Westchester side is generally less desirable. I will note that my grandparents lived just into Yonkers on the one collection of a few streets, Fanshor Avenue, which was nice. They weren't above walking into the Bronx during the 1947 telephone operator's strike to use dial payphones, though. We did have a phone exchange from a grittier area, KIngsbridge 3 and 8.

A similar phenomena exists were I live right now. Before the Village of Rye Brook was formed, occupying the unincorporated part of Rye Town, the people used to say they lived in the Town of Rye. This was snobbism. The zip code was Port Chester. The police and fire was Port Chester. The telephone exchange, WEstmore 7 and 9 was Port Chester, but before Rye Brook was formed in 1982 they wanted no part of Port Chester.

The Bronx has had one of the worst reputations of any area in the country. Back in the 70s and 80s it was famous even internationally as the prime example of America's urban crisis. It's hardly rocket science to figure out why people in the nicer areas of the borough would try to put as much mental space between themselves and what was happening specifically in the South Bronx.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The Bronx has had one of the worst reputations of any area in the country. Back in the 70s and 80s it was famous even internationally as the prime example of America's urban crisis. It's hardly rocket science to figure out why people in the nicer areas of the borough would try to put as much mental space between themselves and what was happening specifically in the South Bronx.
I was describing Riverdale circa 1963-4. The South Bronx was lower middle-class then. We evacuated my father's aunt and uncle from the South Bronx (near Yankee Stadium) to Queens around 1968 or 1969.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:10 PM

34,009 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:

Well that's even a worse reason to not want to put your address as Bronx, NY in my opinion. Wonder why Riverdale never petitioned to become part of Westchester County.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-24-2024, 02:17 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Technically you can write the addresses however you feel but it's the zipcode that matters the most.

I've seen addresses listed as Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, NY but the zipcode is what really counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City