Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 8,959 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone-
I'm planning a move from the Bay Area to Brooklyn next year. I've been researching different neighborhoods and rent prices to get a feel for options before I visit again. Is around the $1500 mark for a 1 bedroom a possibility? I'd love to hear your suggestions for specific areas to check out, thanks for any feedback.

A few more details- I have a 25 pound dog, I'll most likely be commuting into Manhattan, and I've lived in DC+Philly but still looking for a spot where I don't have to be constantly worried about getting mugged. Decent bars+cafes within walking distance would be excellent.

Cheers,
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
depends on which neighborhood in Brooklyn.

the dog is going to be a problem

Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,722 times
$1500 is doable but you won't get the inner ring/brownstone Brooklyn location for that much. There are plenty of very nice neighborhoods with walkable amenities for that price. The first options that come to mind are Bay Ridge and Ditmas Park. As a former Bay Ridge resident I would recommend it whole-heartedly. You can find a nice one bedroom for that amount, just be aware that it's about a 30-45 minute commute to Manhattan depending on where you and and where you're going.

If you're looking at the "popular" Brooklyn neighborhoods like Park Slope, Williamsburg, Carroll Gardens, etc. you'll need to up your budget to the 2000+ range.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I think if you avoid Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, and Park Slope you can find something suitable if you look hard.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
Check into Windsor Terrace / Kensington, it might give you what you're looking for. However, like others said, the dog might be a problem as most places no longer allow pets sadly.

The more popular areas will be out of your budget, but you still might be able to find a deal if you're willing to take a bit of a walk to the train.

The other option I would suggest, even though it's not in Brooklyn is Astoria in Queens. It's also a nice hip area, close to Manhattan, and in that price range.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,959 times
Thank you for all the neighborhood suggestions! While I realize having a dog makes it more challenging anywhere to find an apt, he has perfect landlord references and I always offer a hefty extra pet deposit. I'm hoping the same approach works on the East coast.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
If you can survive within SF, then you will be fine in most places in Brooklyn. Your apartment might be a bit smaller in NYC than it is in SF, but it should still be easy for you.

I have a friend that moved from NYC to SF and was surprised that the cost of living in Brooklyn and the cost of living in SF wasn't much different for her.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM

263 posts, read 529,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you can survive within SF, then you will be fine in most places in Brooklyn. Your apartment might be a bit smaller in NYC than it is in SF, but it should still be easy for you.

I have a friend that moved from NYC to SF and was surprised that the cost of living in Brooklyn and the cost of living in SF wasn't much different for her.
This is accurate for the most part. The cost of living in the trendy parts of Brooklyn is right on par with San Francisco.

Problem is - one cannot find a decent 1BR in SF for $1500. No chance.

Same can be said for the nicer areas of Brooklyn. I just did this move myself and there is absolutely zero chance you will end up in a 1BR in Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Williamsburg, Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn Heights, etc. for $1500. All of those areas start at $2000.

For $1500, you may get lucky and get something in Gowanus or the outskirts of Greenpoint, but I doubt it. You're better off looking at Kensington, Bay Ridge, Greenwood Heights, or Astoria Queens.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:02 PM

263 posts, read 529,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think if you avoid Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, and Park Slope you can find something suitable if you look hard.
Add Carroll Gardens, Greenpoint, and Williamsburg to your list. No way you'd get a livable $1500 1BR in those areas.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
For $1500, you may get lucky and get something in Gowanus or the outskirts of Greenpoint, but I doubt it. You're better off looking at Kensington, Bay Ridge, Greenwood Heights, or Astoria Queens.
Forget Greenpoint also. I work in the area and because the people who can't afford Williamsburg have been pushed here also, cheapest rent I've seen for a 1BR here is $1800.

Not to mention the only train here is the G train which does not go to Manhattan and sucks. Gowanus has the same problem, especially with the trains not stopping at Smith and 9th station now. We sell scooters and motorcycles, and the first question we ask is why are they looking to get a scooter. NUMBER 1 answer:
"I can't deal with the (G, L) trains anymore"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: