Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2024, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 1,200 times

Advertisements

I have applied to several applications and I have a log # of 420 for one. Im hoping that they will contact me soon. My problem is that Im leaving my abusive husband and he doesn't know that I have been applying. How can I prove that the apt will be only for me when both of our names are on the lease and he has been the one paying the rent where we are now. I pay for everything else. Will this cause my application to be denied? What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 03:15 PM

188 posts, read 137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc673 View Post
I have applied to several applications and I have a log # of 420 for one. Im hoping that they will contact me soon. My problem is that Im leaving my abusive husband and he doesn't know that I have been applying. How can I prove that the apt will be only for me when both of our names are on the lease and he has been the one paying the rent where we are now. I pay for everything else. Will this cause my application to be denied? What should I do?
You can maybe have you landlord write a notarized letter/affidavit stating that he no longer lives there as well as you. If you have any court letters stating the abuse maybe that can also help with proof that he will not be living with you

Old 03-29-2024, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 1,200 times
No i dont have any paper work. My husband and I still live in the same apartment so I'm not sure if the landlord will right me a letter. Do you think I have to show the lease. I can provide credit check. My bank statements and electric are in my name.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:50 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,633,619 times
If you applied as one person that might be all you need to do at this point. Lottery system might require some statement from you if you get nearer to getting a unit. This is because added a second person to a household the minute after they sign a lease can be a way to unfairly manipulate the system with a fraudulent intent. For example a two person household that makes too much income becomes a one person household to qualify for a lottery unit then once the lease is signed suddenly becomes reunited.

I wish you luck. But don’t only rely on housing lotteries to change your living situation because you can’t count on prevailing without being very very lucky. You might love to be 100 and never get close or this time next year you could be in a new place.

Try calling 311.

You should refer to page 62 of the Handbook regarding violence against women act.

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...g-handbook.pdf

Old 03-29-2024, 03:52 PM

74 posts, read 50,200 times
You should look into your rights under VAWA.

VAWA protects NYCHA applicants, residents, and program participants in certain HUD programs from being evicted, denied housing assistance, or terminated from housing assistance based on acts of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking against them. It protects more than NYCHA residents.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:44 PM

6,684 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Several years ago, I was called to a lottery and after having submitted all the paperwork, the office saw that I was filing as married. They saw it on my paystubs even though I had been divorced for almost a decade. (It was my oversight to change that from married to single).
Anyway, I had to bring my actual divorce papers - notarized statements were not accepted.
I think that in your case, you should seek help from agencies such as the one mentioned on this thread - especially since you don’t want your stbx husband to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery