Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:00 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Ugh, I feel for you on that one. I'm sure you'll find something that gives you that balance you're seeking.

Thanks for the heads up on PasaTiempo. I pick up the Albuquerque equivalent (The Alibi) but it would be well worth the cost to keep up with things going on in Santa Fe. Taught a workshop today and one of my students was best friends with my gradeschool principal in Santa Fe. Small and sometimes odd world.
I think I'll find something too but would like to hurry it along and get settled so I can focus on other things.

I found this site in Pasatiempo. I haven't spent time checking it out yet. Creative Santa Fe : Strengthening Santa Fe's Creative Economy

This is definitely a small town. I found after a few years living here that most people I met knew someone I knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM

156 posts, read 721,959 times
Thanks for all the great replies!

I like your work ziaAirmac. It combines both beautiful form and function.
Quote:
You know the scent of roasted green chile now. Now, no matter where you are, you can smell roasted green chile and think of a crisp morning at Golondrinas, with the coals hot in the hornos, the adobe soaking in the mornings warmth, the sheep calling in the background, the swallows cutting through the sky and warm, chewy tortillas. I used to roast my green chile for posole in the broiler when I was in Virginia just to take the trip.
This is a great image! Even though I don't know what Golondrinas is, or how the chile smells, it sounds wonderful. :-)

Quote:
Talk about what used to be. I lived for many years in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. But it is entirely ruined by development, air pollution, water pollution, billboards, trophy homes, subdivisions, and a politics that welcomed all degradation -- it is economic development. The mountains disappeared from view. The sky turned gray. The breeze stunk. The Shenandoah reeked. We had to leave.
DevinBent, this is what it feels like has happened to the NJ Shore. Everything you have said, and more, big box stores, corrupt politicians, eminent domain taking over people's homes they have had for many years, to build more frakin' condos. My neighbors think I'm crazy for selling now, in this market, and they all love it here. I used to...but I need some space to breathe.

Dancingearth, Def. good info , thanks. Good luck with your apt/home search. My house is doing ok, getting a few calls, and I'm gonna have an open house As Soon AS The Weather gets better!!!Yikes. cold and rainy here! Been waiting for a few weekends and so far, it feels more like November than May.
Quote:
Eldorado is having an Art Walk May 17 & 18 with 100 artists but you have to live in Eldorado. I think there are more opportunities when you start looking. If I find anything out, I'll let you know.
That's a lot of artists in one area! Sounds like an interesting place.
All the food talk has made me Hungry, so I'm off to make dinner. Ciao, (or, Chow) all!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,043 times
Default Living in New Mexico

Hello, I stumbled across a number of artists who are wanting to relocate to new mexico, I am an architect and furniture maker and a lot of my friends are artists and artisans, it seems that new mexico attracts creative people, I have been here too long to really be able to step outside to offer an explanation of this, but creative people understand subtlety in a way that NM is full of, whether it be it's natural beauty or the presence of ancients, it is hard to explain without sounding corny and you couldn't convince someone who wouldn't understand.
As far as the economy is concerned, we've always been a poor state but it seems that with new people moving here and the movie industry settling in, we are thriving.

Good luck

Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,363 times
Iriegirl - what are you up to! Did you sell your house? Are you traveling around the U.S. looking for your place?

Old 06-27-2008, 03:03 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,612 times
Default nm's future

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post

DevinBent, this is what it feels like has happened to the NJ Shore. Everything you have said, and more, big box stores, corrupt politicians, eminent domain taking over people's homes they have had for many years, to build more frakin' condos. My neighbors think I'm crazy for selling now, in this market, and they all love it here. I used to...but I need some space to breathe.
I worry about New Mexico -- with a few exceptions people are too receptive to growth -- they want the big stores -- they want ABQ to grow to millions so they can attract professional sport franchises, etc. NM could become a very different place.

Santa Fe city and county are restricting growth -- but how many other jurisdictions are doing this?

Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Actually Devin you've pointed out a glaring problem that seems to concern few people. Most people think "if we can grow bigger we can all make more money." Unfortunately this neglects to recognize the negative aspects of population growth. The US is growing without bound in most areas and letting in illegal aliens with wanton abandon. Nobody seems to notice that we can't continue growing without experiencing negativity. And the worst part is that the politicians all seem to want more voters and more taxpayers to get bigger budgets.

You and I are among the few who are concerned by population growth and recognize that it is in many cases contrary to our quality of life.

More is not better. Bigger is not better. Sometimes smaller is better.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:09 PM

717 posts, read 1,955,434 times
Thumbs down here come the yup-rockets!

Smaller is almost inevitably better. However, given the fact that most of the southwest has already experienced monumental growth (Arizona, Texas, California, Nevada), New Mexico is the obvious next destination for the hungry hordes. I've always tried to keep humanity at a distance (wherever I hang my hat) and I'm concerned about the many plans for TorC/Elephant Butte...now that we've purchased property in the area. I lived through the wholesale degradation and commercial exploitation of Hawai'i, which I found egregious and so very sad. The islands have been hugely over built and in many places ruined beyond repair. Colorado is rapidly succumbing to the the yuppy invasion as well, coupled with the influx of many illegals/legitimate migrants compounding the infrastructure/support system(s) problems and sorely taxing resources. So it's not so keen around here either. I dunno...It don't look too peachy-keeny from where I'm standing. Likely New Mexico will soon be over whelmed with legions of grasping antlike humanity like the rest of the region. More's the pity.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM

I'm predicting that every place worth living in is going to grow out of control until there's no place worth living, just varying levels of bad or worse. Present US population is about 300 million. What will the US be like with 600 million people living here? How about 1 billion people living in the US. And that's just the US. What about the rest of the world? Can our planet or our country carry that many people. Surely there is some population level beyond which growth is inadvisable. I'm disturbed because few people are concerned about limiting population growth.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:48 PM

717 posts, read 1,955,434 times
Unhappy The World Is A Ghetto

You could not have expressed it better Lovehound; my sentiments exactly. Soilent Green anyone??? I remember leaving my beloved Hawai'i after having discovered that I really could not find a single place where disgusting humanity hadn't sullied every lovely/pristine place I sought out. No secluded beach or steaming jungle or volcanic peak was/IS free of human debris and filth! I've traversed most of the islands extensively and it was nearly impossible for me to avoid the repulsive wastes people tend to leave behind them. It is the way things are nearly everywhere with our collective thoughtless billions it seems. We are a dirty, arrogant and destructive species and pathetic stewards of this grand and singularly beautiful planet. Carl Sagan was right: we've reached our critical nexus point in cultural evolution and have failed the test of posterity. I'm reminded of the brutal, merciless, dark, and terminally soiled Harkonnen (sp?) industrial world Geidi Prime of Frank Herbert's Dune mythology...the earth's future? Probably.

Last edited by dracul; 07-01-2008 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: Right hand still slows me up profoundly; many errors.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:02 PM

What really scares me is that almost nobody is talking about the idea that limiting population growth would be a good thing. It seems like most people feel "the more the merrier."

I'm looking to move to a place without the cancerous growth of Los Angeles, hoping that Santa Fe will be reasonably sane for the next 25 years. I'll be nearing rest home and drooling status by about then if I'm still around. I bet rest homes look the same in SF and LA so it won't much matter to me.

At least I can have a good 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico