Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
hey Lusitan, tell this guy how great life is as a renter !

I love you!!! Marilyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 06:21 AM

53 posts, read 422,559 times
The letter was only from the landlord, I'll be talking to the person today. Perhaps I'll bring a written letter with me so it is in writing.

The complain seems to be "walking heavily". I'm not sure what is expected to be done about that, I can't control my weight (other than exercising and losing weight) and I don't really walk around that much. I prob should (to lose weight). Anyways, I'll try to get some specifics from the landlord about where the noise is supposidly coming from. They letter mention from "coming in late at night" so perhaps the noise is from the door or outside in the hallway.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 AM

825 posts, read 3,160,065 times
walk on your tip-toes

Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 AM

109 posts, read 345,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Neither bought at the peak of the bubble, or for anywhere near the ridiculous prices even now being asked.

There was no call for you to jump in on this renter to try to make him/her feel bad about renting. I know it's a standard NAR and real estate cheerleader tactic, but it wasn't really called for here. So I figured the least I could do was give a dose of reality and remind the OP why indeed he/she could be happy about being a renter in this market.
good post

Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
walk on your tip-toes
I don't think that would work as I suspect some of the noises are either coming from elsewhere or do not exist since one of the complaints was while I was away on travel

Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
like you've never stretched the topic of a thread to incorporate your views...
You didn't stretch the topic or add anything even remotely on topic or useful to the OP ... you just make a joke about his situation, when he came here asking for some help.

But hey, I know times are tough for bagholders and real estate cheerleaders, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbgm View Post
I don't think that would work as I suspect some of the noises are either coming from elsewhere or do not exist since one of the complaints was while I was away on travel
lmbgm,

It's never a bad idea to lose weight if you think you are overweight, but it's really a completely separate issue from someone complaining about you making "too much noise" by simply walking around your home. I encourage you to exercise and lose weight if you think you should, but don't let your neighbor or landlord make you feel bad about that. Some people are just unreasonable complainers, and when you point out to your landlord that you are being reasonable and the complainer is not, he is likely to let it be and tell the complainer to deal with it.

Incidentally, I remember in my situation years ago, when the landlord wrote us a letter saying that he had received "several complaints" about the noise in our apartment, he also said something along the lines of "NYC law requires apartments to be carpeted ..." or something like that. I had to laugh, because the apartment had hardwood floors, but every room had an area rug in it except the kitchen and bathroom. So I called his bluff, I asked him to point me to the NYC law requiring bathrooms and kitchens be carpeted, and predictably, he shut up and I never heard from him again. It's ridiculous, for sanitary reasons alone (forget about asthetics) to expect people to carpet their kitchens and bathrooms.

Again, it was just a case of a squeaky wheel trying to get attention, the landlord trying to just get the hassle off his back, and when I made it clear that the complainer was the one being unreasonable, the "problem" went away.

Good luck in dealing with this situation, but don't let it get to you.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:14 AM

I don't think they were making any comment about my weight. I was remarking that the only way I know of to reduce "heavy walking" would be to reduce the amount of walking or the amount of weight since I walk normally and do not stomp around. I could probably stand to lose a few pounds but that's a separate issue.

I typed up a lengthy letter going over my points:
1. I'm not home much (and have been on travel) and when I am, I don't walk around much
3. I havent been coming in late at night
4. the floor/wall is thin and I can hear the people above me and in the hall
5. quiet enjoyment is a right but a reasonable amount of noise and reasonable amount of tolerance should be expected in an apartment building.
6. my history, including the time I lived two floors above the manager

And I basically said that I likely cannot keep the noise level low enough to not disturb my neighbor if they have an unreasonably low tolerance especially if the noise doesnt exist or isnt coming from me. And I further suggested that they be told that a reasonable amount of noise is expected in an apartment and they can always move to the top floor.

I'm going over to talk to them in an hour and to deliver the letter. Hopefully the problem will go away.

As for getting a house, I actually examined that option before I moved. I'm new to the area and have a new job so I did not want to jump in to a house immediately. The immediate area I live in is quite expensive and I live alone so I couldn't really justify spending even more money since I don't need the extra space. I'm ok with the noise and these complaints probably cannot legally evict me. I think absolute worst case, they could decide to not renew my lease. Hopefully the landlord is understanding.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbgm View Post
I don't think they were making any comment about my weight. I was remarking that the only way I know of to reduce "heavy walking" would be to reduce the amount of walking or the amount of weight since I walk normally and do not stomp around. I could probably stand to lose a few pounds but that's a separate issue
But you can turn it around that they are talking about you being over-weight if you want.

I'm not sure I would have written a letter.
They then have that as proof of whatever you said at a later date.

If noise is a problem, the person below you or the landlord should either call you or knock on your door while it is happening. You're claiming it isn't you, someone should check that out because you're being accused.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:40 PM

So long as what you say sticks to "I'm being reasonable, and not making any unreasonable noise" a letter is the exact thing you should be writing, because you need to get your side of the story in the "file" so you don't look like an unresponsive tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey