Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times

Advertisements

I want to have some crown moulding put in my kitchen, which extends into a small hall which has a door to the laundry and powder room. All told, I'm guessing it's about 65 linear feet (it's most likely less).

We really, really, really don't want to do it ourselves. Thinking of hiring a handyman. We would provide everything - the painted moulding, mitre saw, etc - all he'd have to do is hang it. We'll cover the nail holes.

What do you think a fair price for this labor would be? I'll tell you what I think afterwards.

I have 2 ppl to call, which I haven't done yet, so my thoughts are just that, thoughts, but interested in everyone's take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 03:21 PM

315 posts, read 1,092,051 times
i would imagine it wouldn't take very long. do you want him to do the caulking? if so, that is much more time consuming. without, i wouldn't think more than a few hundred dollars. my ex could put the moulding up in a decent sized room in less than a day. and that's with finishing off the ends nicely.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,613,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I want to have some crown moulding put in my kitchen, which extends into a small hall which has a door to the laundry and powder room. All told, I'm guessing it's about 65 linear feet (it's most likely less).

We really, really, really don't want to do it ourselves. Thinking of hiring a handyman. We would provide everything - the painted moulding, mitre saw, etc - all he'd have to do is hang it. We'll cover the nail holes.

What do you think a fair price for this labor would be? I'll tell you what I think afterwards.

I have 2 ppl to call, which I haven't done yet, so my thoughts are just that, thoughts, but interested in everyone's take.
You're probably looking at $500 plus minus. My neighbor did his himself and it looks horrible..lol - best to hire someone who has done it before.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM

526 posts, read 1,392,147 times
I would also expect $500 to $700 depending on the room, and strangely enough on the crown as well. The person putting it up must take their time, and must do the caulking as well though.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
I would also expect $500 to $700 depending on the room, and strangely enough on the crown as well. The person putting it up must take their time, and must do the caulking as well though.
It varies..some charge by the linear foot..others charge by the SF of the room... some charge less for MDF and others charge more for "real" wood. I would call more than 2 ppl.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
You're probably looking at $500 plus minus. My neighbor did his himself and it looks horrible..lol - best to hire someone who has done it before.
LOL - we've done chair rail but never moulding, which is one reason I'd like to hire it out.

I would like him to do caulking also.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
LOL - we've done chair rail but never moulding, which is one reason I'd like to hire it out.

I would like him to do caulking also.
Let me know what you find out as we want to do our upstairs bedrooms and hallway. I was going to call the builder to see what he would charge because he did an excellent job downstairs!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM

50 posts, read 174,096 times
Ya $500 is about right. Depends on how many inside and outside corners but since it is so little lineal foot I have to imagine it is a pretty simple room.

It will take longer to drive to the job, set up, measure, clean up and drive home than actually putting it up so that is why it is so high per ft.

If you are going to have him caulk might as well have him fill the nail holes while he is up there. You can go back later with some sandpaper and sand it flush when you go to do topcoat.

One of my guys would do it on the side if you are close enough. He lives in Sussex county and works at my place in Warren County. I would post a link to website to show you but don't want to break any rules.

I will send you a PM

Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,021,879 times
I say $300. Let them bring their own mitre saw, if they get hurt with it, it's not your saw. Also, make sure they are licensed as a home improvement contractor and insured. Get contract in writing, no matter how small the job is.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
I say $300. Let them bring their own mitre saw, if they get hurt with it, it's not your saw. Also, make sure they are licensed as a home improvement contractor and insured. Get contract in writing, no matter how small the job is.
that requirement alone will bump it up to $500 . Ins. is not cheap for contractors!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey