Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 05:22 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
To be more technical, based on the Rt 78 rule (and the feeling the towns have)

These are absolutely North Jersey towns:
* Summit
* New Providence
* Berkeley Heights

These are border towns:
* Elizabeth
* Union
* Hillside
* Springfield
* Mountainside

These are absolutely Central Jersey towns:
* Plainfield
* Linden
* Westfield
* Rahway
* Scotch Plains
* Cranford
* Kenilworth
* Roselle
* Clark
* Roselle Park
* Fanwood
* Garwood
* Winfield
No way. I live in Berkeley Heights. Have neighbors that moved from North Jersey (Bergen County), and they moved here because it's NOT North Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 05:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Rt. 78 is the official cutoff. There is major difference between Summit, NJ and Clark, NJ. Summit, Berkley Heights and New Providence should be absorbed by Morris County.

In addition to the county line, there is a clear difference in climate, soil and vegetation in Union county that aligns itself with Central, NJ rather than North Jersey. Pull up the topographical map and you will clearly see that most of union belongs with central, nj and probably the reason rt. 78 was also built where it is.
Route 78 “official cutoff?” There is nothing official about it, hence why these debates exist. What a joke. If 78 serves as some kind of border, what does that make Newark and Jersey City?

Old 04-02-2024, 01:26 AM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
No way. I live in Berkeley Heights. Have neighbors that moved from North Jersey (Bergen County), and they moved here because it's NOT North Jersey.
You're right, Bergen County is much different than Berkley Heights. However, Berkley Heights is much more similar to Morris and Essex County versus central, NJ.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:07 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I never heard of most of these towns until I was an adult. And I never heard of others until I came to City. New Providence? Cream Ridge? They are towns in NJ????

When you grow up in Bergen County, you know Rockland County and Passaic County, and you have a vague idea about Sussex and some of the parts you drive through to get to the Poconos, but I never knew that people actually lived in the rest of NJ.

Just kidding. But really, growing up in NW Bergen County, we were more connected to NY State than the rest of NJ.

In fact, when I was 18, I got a temp job working for the Bergen County Board of Elections. I had to file things by town, and I was shocked to find there were actually 70 towns in my county, some of which I had never heard of or did not realize were part of the same County.

I am not the only one. I worked with a woman who grew up in Bayonne then moved to Oakland. She always complained about having to go all the way down to South Jersey to her brother's house for holidays. Her brother lived in Edison.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:48 AM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I worked with a woman who grew up in Bayonne then moved to Oakland. She always complained about having to go all the way down to South Jersey to her brother's house for holidays. Her brother lived in Edison.
Back in the '60s, I had a friend who lived in Ironbound/Down Neck Newark, and his mother was hospitalized at Greenville Hospital, in Jersey City. He drove his Aunt to Jersey City, so that she could visit his mother, and he reported that for the entire drive, his Aunt kept chanting--over and over again--"It's so fah, Chollie boy, it's so FAH!". (Translation: It's so far, Charlie boy, it's so far.)

The drive from Newark to Jersey City took all of 18 minutes. He noted afterward that the only other place she had ever visited outside of Newark was Seaside Heights. The lack of worldliness of some people is nothing short of amazing.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:49 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,750,579 times
Makes no sense to include some of the towns some of you have mentioned that are so close to Newark in Central Jersey. South Jersey has a ton of land mass so does North Jersey. Central Jersey is smaller. Hillside and some of the others Central Jersey? You can't be serious.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:59 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I never heard of most of these towns until I was an adult. And I never heard of others until I came to City. New Providence? Cream Ridge? They are towns in NJ????

When you grow up in Bergen County, you know Rockland County and Passaic County, and you have a vague idea about Sussex and some of the parts you drive through to get to the Poconos, but I never knew that people actually lived in the rest of NJ.

Just kidding. But really, growing up in NW Bergen County, we were more connected to NY State than the rest of NJ.

In fact, when I was 18, I got a temp job working for the Bergen County Board of Elections. I had to file things by town, and I was shocked to find there were actually 70 towns in my county, some of which I had never heard of or did not realize were part of the same County.

I am not the only one. I worked with a woman who grew up in Bayonne then moved to Oakland. She always complained about having to go all the way down to South Jersey to her brother's house for holidays. Her brother lived in Edison.
It seems like Bergen, Essex, Hudson and the eastern bulby part of Passaic
Counties need to be their own category. Then the people in Union County can stop arguing about being part of North Jersey.

Old 04-02-2024, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 7,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Makes no sense to include some of the towns some of you have mentioned that are so close to Newark in Central Jersey. South Jersey has a ton of land mass so does North Jersey. Central Jersey is smaller. Hillside and some of the others Central Jersey? You can't be serious.
Of course Hillside and Elizabeth aren't Central Jersey lol they're close to Newark so they're in North Jersey

Still debating about Mountainside tho

Old 04-02-2024, 01:56 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,750,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmoniousSyntax View Post
Of course Hillside and Elizabeth aren't Central Jersey lol they're close to Newark so they're in North Jersey

Still debating about Mountainside tho

End the debate it's right up the road from Hillside and Union.

Old 04-02-2024, 03:25 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
LOL

I'm originally from Roselle, worked at the family business in Watchung, also lived in North Plainfield and Edison (by Brunswick) before going down to South Jersey in 93. Started in Burlington County, now in Gloucester County since 2008.

Way back when, Roselle was considered North Jersey, the split used to be when you were going down the shore, you drove over the big bridge on the Parkway.
Ah! Me too! My birth house is on Victory st. off of St. Georges Ave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey