Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2024, 12:23 PM

23 posts, read 41,046 times

Advertisements

Hello--hoping to get some insight from folks re: the towns above. I hope to be making a home purchase within the next 3-4 months.

So, how do these areas compare in terms of: 1) Crime/Safety; 2) I am single, no kids, so schools aren't a huge concern--but are these towns "strictly" for families? Can a single person meet other singles? 3) Walkability --it looks like Cliffside Park is walkable--but how about the other towns?

Thanks in advance for the guidance on these (and any other nearby) towns!

Note: I know Hoboken and Jersey City are better for singles, but both are beyond my budget!

Last edited by Gehrig97; 03-14-2024 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 02:20 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
In order of best to worst it goes:

1) Fort Lee
2) Cliffside Park
3) Fairview

Fairview has a lot of immigrants from Central and South America so you’ll notice a lot of the stores and restaurants along Anderson Ave cater to them. That creeps into Cliffside Park a bit, but to a much lesser extent. Generally safe and walkable in both Fairview and Cliffside Park and plenty of buses running along Anderson Ave and some on Palisade Ave.

Fort Lee has a large Korean population so again you’ll see businesses that cater to that population. Definitely the priciest, cleanest, and overall nicest of the 3. I don’t think any of these places are ideal for single people. But they’re all close enough to Edgewater which has some bars where you might meet someone.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:39 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Fort Lee has a lot of high rise buildings and apartments. It's mostly seniors who are being replaced by young Korean families. It's very hilly. Cliffside Park also has high rise apartments but as the other poster commented, the Hispanic population is increasing in parts. All three have lots of buses that go into Manhattan.

Old 03-16-2024, 08:19 PM

356 posts, read 284,261 times
we lived in fort lee and renovated an older three-story home when we were first married. it was an easy commute by bus, ferry or car. expect greater resale values in fort lee compared to cliffside or fairview.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:52 PM

155 posts, read 90,077 times
I lived in Fort Lee for almost 10 years. I would highly, highly recommend it. I am a bachelor. What is your price range? I owned a co-op. I was in Linwood Park, right behind the Linwood Plaza Shopping Center. It is an older complex, without really any amenities, but still a very pleasant place to live. Now I live in Nutley, in a much newer complex with a pool and gym and clubhouse. Someday I want to move back to Fort Lee. Cliffside Park is nice if you are closer to Fort Lee. It gets a bit dodgy as you get closer to Fairview. I would avoid Fairview.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:09 AM
bn1

128 posts, read 205,662 times
I lived in Fort Lee and currently live in CP. I would skip Fairview - although you may want to give the new condos a look if theyre done. I don't think it's dangerous, but it hasn't really gone through any kind of rejuvenation. Most of the business are small and cater to the hispanic community, except for around Bergen Blvd.

Fort Lee has more of a small city feel these days than the town feel it used to have. It's clean, has a walkable downtown with a good selection of Asian (Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese) pubs and restaurants as well as others. Plenty of supermarkets. Traffic is pretty bad though - bad enough that I'm glad I'm in CP. CP is smaller than Fort Lee and feels more like a compact and dense town...street parking is tough so you want to find a place with a dedicated spot. The bus lines to city are pretty good and obviously closer to the Lincoln Tunnel than Fort Lee as well as Port Imperial Ferry Terminal which has frequent ferries even later at night and on weekends (plus an indoor terminal to wait). The CP neighborhood you live in ends up resembling the bordering town..if you live near fairview or ridgefield that's what it'll feel like. If you're by Fort Lee, it more or less feels like that part of Fort Lee. If you're east of Gorge Road on the top of the cliffs - well, I guess that's uniquely Cliffside Park. Pretty good restaurant scene (especially Turkish), without the taxes or school quality of Fort Lee or Edgewater's river walkway, but a bit more away from GWB traffic. Generally more affordable than Fort Lee, but depends on which neighborhood and how new the construction.

Last edited by bn1; 03-20-2024 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-22-2024, 09:40 AM

376 posts, read 320,213 times
What is your budget? What are your home requirements (bedrooms, baths, single family or condo, amenities)?

Old 03-23-2024, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the great info!

Old 03-23-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn1 View Post
I lived in Fort Lee and currently live in CP. I would skip Fairview - although you may want to give the new condos a look if theyre done. I don't think it's dangerous, but it hasn't really gone through any kind of rejuvenation. Most of the business are small and cater to the hispanic community, except for around Bergen Blvd.

Fort Lee has more of a small city feel these days than the town feel it used to have. It's clean, has a walkable downtown with a good selection of Asian (Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese) pubs and restaurants as well as others. Plenty of supermarkets. Traffic is pretty bad though - bad enough that I'm glad I'm in CP. CP is smaller than Fort Lee and feels more like a compact and dense town...street parking is tough so you want to find a place with a dedicated spot. The bus lines to city are pretty good and obviously closer to the Lincoln Tunnel than Fort Lee as well as Port Imperial Ferry Terminal which has frequent ferries even later at night and on weekends (plus an indoor terminal to wait). The CP neighborhood you live in ends up resembling the bordering town..if you live near fairview or ridgefield that's what it'll feel like. If you're by Fort Lee, it more or less feels like that part of Fort Lee. If you're east of Gorge Road on the top of the cliffs - well, I guess that's uniquely Cliffside Park. Pretty good restaurant scene (especially Turkish), without the taxes or school quality of Fort Lee or Edgewater's river walkway, but a bit more away from GWB traffic. Generally more affordable than Fort Lee, but depends on which neighborhood and how new the construction.
Thanks for the great info!

Old 03-24-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNJ View Post
What is your budget? What are your home requirements (bedrooms, baths, single family or condo, amenities)?
Budget is up to 800k(ish). Single-family or condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey