Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 01:08 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Community colleges also don't have football teams, typically.

Once he completes his 2 years, there's no guarantee that any 4-year university would honor all the course credits he's amassed, for one thing. Students sometimes find themselves having to repeat a course or two, because the 4-year institution deems some of the credits non-transferable. Did Mr Big Agent mention that?

And how much is this "agent" charging the parents for his services? I think a healthy skepticism at this point would be a good thing.
The OP mentioned football, but "football" is what the Brits (and most other nations) call "soccer".
SCCC does have a soccer tream.

In NJ, we have what is called "full faith in transfer" for students transferring from a community college to one of the state's public 4-year colleges and universities, so if he chose to transfer to... let's say... Montclair, or Rowan, or Rutgers, or TCNJ, or Stockton, or Ramapo, he would not lose any credits for courses that he passed at SCCC. If he chose to transfer to a private college or to an out-of-state public college, it is entirely possible that he would have to repeat a course... or two... or...

I agree that skepticism is called for, but the points that you made in regard to that sports team and to transferrable credits are not appropriate in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 01:40 PM

24 posts, read 18,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The OP mentioned football, but "football" is what the Brits (and most other nations) call "soccer".
SCCC does have a soccer tream.

In NJ, we have what is called "full faith in transfer" for students transferring from a community college to one of the state's public 4-year colleges and universities, so if he chose to transfer to... let's say... Montclair, or Rowan, or Rutgers, or TCNJ, or Stockton, or Ramapo, he would not lose any credits for courses that he passed at SCCC. If he chose to transfer to a private college or to an out-of-state public college, it is entirely possible that he would have to repeat a course... or two... or...

I agree that skepticism is called for, but the points that you made in regard to that sports team and to transferrable credits are not appropriate in this case.
I’m a bit out of my depth re credits. I know my daughter was looking into what lessons/exams were on offer & the credits that were involved. She also mentioned about doing the first two years & then going elsewhere.
I must sound pretty dumb but I’m stepping into a territory that I know nothing about. Straight from school & straight into a job, that’s how my life was.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbuk View Post
I’m a bit out of my depth re credits. I know my daughter was looking into what lessons/exams were on offer & the credits that were involved. She also mentioned about doing the first two years & then going elsewhere.
I must sound pretty dumb but I’m stepping into a territory that I know nothing about. Straight from school & straight into a job, that’s how my life was.
I was a high school counselor for more than 3 decades, so you can feel free to ask me any questions you might have regarding US colleges.

Regarding credits, most college courses earn a student 3 credits, with science lab courses and some courses for their major field of study earning the student 4 credits. Typically, students carry a course load of 16-18 credits per semester, and graduation from a 2 year college usually requires a total of 64-68 credits. A Bachelor's degree (4 years) usually has a requirement of 128-132 credits in total.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I was a high school counselor for more than 3 decades, so you can feel free to ask me any questions you might have regarding US colleges.

Regarding credits, most college courses earn a student 3 credits, with science lab courses and some courses for their major field of study earning the student 4 credits. Typically, students carry a course load of 16-18 credits per semester, and graduation from a 2 year college usually requires a total of 64-68 credits. A Bachelor's degree (4 years) usually has a requirement of 128-132 credits in total.
I thank you for that Retriever.
From your post the "64-68 credits" was definitely mentioned by my daughter, from there on in, she lost me.
I think at the moment they're are looking at what the bottom line is on costs. They have some figures but they'll be asking if those figures cover everything or will they need topping up? i.e. acclamation/food.

My interest, having lived abroad, was to find out what the area was like, the do's & don'ts type of stuff.

Old 01-06-2024, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbuk View Post
My interest, having lived abroad, was to find out what the area was like, the do's & don'ts type of stuff.
Sussex County, overall, is very rural, very white, very conservative.
The town of Newton, where the college is located, is the County Seat, and it is a nice little town with a very good hospital.

As long as your Grandson isn't expecting the hustle and bustle of city life, he just might like the area. However, he will likely be disappointed that there isn't a Chippy, and Going for a Curry is very likely not possible in that area.

As you may be able to tell, I've spent a fair amount of time in The UK, and part of my family hails from Manchester.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:29 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
The town of Newton, where the college is located, is the County Seat, and it is a nice little town with a very good hospital.

As long as your Grandson isn't expecting the hustle and bustle of city life, he just might like the area. However, he will likely be disappointed that there isn't a Chippy, and Going for a Curry is very likely not possible in that area.
Now there you're wrong. There may indeed be no chippy, but curry is definitely doable.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Now there you're wrong. There may indeed be no chippy, but curry is definitely doable.

While it is "doable", I think that most Brits would find that the Indian food available in rural areas of NJ is very different from what they are used to in The UK.

Old 01-07-2024, 08:14 AM

88,624 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:

As you may be able to tell, I've spent a fair amount of time in The UK, and part of my family hails from Manchester.
My paternal ancestors also came from Manchester. (You know my very-English last name!) Maybe our ancestors met in passing once! Ya never know.

Old 01-07-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My paternal ancestors also came from Manchester. (You know my very-English last name!) Maybe our ancestors met in passing once! Ya never know.
Yes, that is entirely possible!
The English branch of my family apparently immigrated to London from Amsterdam in the early 1700s.
In London, like most recent immigrants, they lived in the worst section of The East End--the neighborhood that later became the stomping ground of Jack The Ripper. While in London, several of them were writers, but when the Industrial Revolution began, many moved to Manchester, where they were shoe manufacturers.

Last edited by Retriever; 01-07-2024 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-07-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:

I think Retriever my Grandson is accumulating credits here in the UK now, he's been in college here for two years. Would that sound right? I think my daughter is on the path of looking into the future for his degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey