Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2023, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 7,789 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering buying a house in Princeton as it matches all my criteria. The only thing I am concerned about is the commute to NYC. I need to be in the village 2-3 days a week. Being a single parent the commute becomes even more important for me. Can I please get some feedback from people who have commuted or commute. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 07:11 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
The median price of a house in the "municipality of Princeton" is $1 million. There are subsidized apartments there but unless you make a very good living, housing costs in the Princeton area are steep.

Total one way commute time from downtown Princeton to NY Penn is at least 1.5 hours (assuming that you first take the "Princeton Dinky" to the Princeton Junction train station.) Delays are frequent due to ageing infrastructure. If you prefer driving to the station be aware that parking there is a nightmare. You will have to drive to the Hamilton, NJ station where there are thousands of parking spaces and where express trains to NYC stop.

Bus service from downtown Princeton to Port Authority NYC takes about 1 hour 40 minutes.

Old 10-21-2023, 09:47 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,994 times
For sure 90 mins each way on average minimum.

Old 10-22-2023, 02:14 PM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
I think it would be tricky as a single parent unless you have some type of friend/family support structure out there. If you want to be home by 6p, I'm assuming you're walking out of your office at 4-4:15p. And I have no idea what the OP does for a living, but for a typical NYC office job that's a tough sell (unless you get into the office at 7a, in which case you're leaving your house at 5-5:15a). And also, if you need to commute into Greenwich Village, that adds even more complexity. Ideally, you would want to pick a train line with an express to Hoboken and then hop on the PATH which will take you right there. The Princeton line can connect to the PATH at Newark, but that line goes into WTC, not Midtown (which the Village stops are on) without a transfer.

Could make sense if the work hours are non-standard though. But I think I would struggle paying that much AND having that commute. I would optimize for either cost or commute (i.e. if I'm going to have a 1.5-2 hour commute, I would want to be paying way less than if I had a 45-minute commute).

Old 10-23-2023, 07:45 AM

76 posts, read 107,046 times
The waiting list for parking at the Princeton Junction train station is several years long. You can also take the Dinky train from Princeton boro to Princeton Junction, and then catch NJ transit to Penn Station.

Other option is to take the Coach USA bus that stops at Palmer Square. This goes to Port Authority. Then add another 20-30 mins to get to Greenwich Village.

If only 2-3 days a week, then you could also drive via the NJ Turnpike to Secaucus Junction, and then take to Hoboken. From Hoboken you can take the PATH to either World Trade Center or into Greenwich Village.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:33 AM

161 posts, read 129,156 times
Princeton is an amazing town, but I would never do the commute. You have to get to Princeton Junction station (in West Windsor) to get to NYC. Brutal, brutal commute given the layers of pain (Princeton to WW has a lot of traffic, then NJT to Penn St. is unreliable, then you have to do subway). I don't think someone could last 3 months doing this.

You'd be far better off driving from Cranbury to the city; Cranbury is a beautiful, small "satellite" town that shares schools with Princeton, and is located right next to the NJT. You'd be subjecting yourself to the tunnel, though.

Old 10-23-2023, 05:22 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I think it would be tricky as a single parent unless you have some type of friend/family support structure out there. If you want to be home by 6p, I'm assuming you're walking out of your office at 4-4:15p. And I have no idea what the OP does for a living, but for a typical NYC office job that's a tough sell (unless you get into the office at 7a, in which case you're leaving your house at 5-5:15a). And also, if you need to commute into Greenwich Village, that adds even more complexity. Ideally, you would want to pick a train line with an express to Hoboken and then hop on the PATH which will take you right there. The Princeton line can connect to the PATH at Newark, but that line goes into WTC, not Midtown (which the Village stops are on) without a transfer.

Could make sense if the work hours are non-standard though. But I think I would struggle paying that much AND having that commute. I would optimize for either cost or commute (i.e. if I'm going to have a 1.5-2 hour commute, I would want to be paying way less than if I had a 45-minute commute).
AND those times don't allow for train delays, weather related or whatever.....

Old 10-25-2023, 06:03 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Princeton Junction to New York Penn is about 55-60 minutes in the morning, on the express train. Add on last mile transit on both ends.

They have huge parking lots. Maybe you can drive to Princeton Junction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey